James Wilson

dangeruss

In The Film Room

Tim Prister

IrishIllustrated.com Senior Editor

At 6-foot-4, 308 pounds, it’s not easy for a 17- or 18-year-old young man to be “grown into his body” just yet. What I mean is that many kids that age do not have full control of their bulk in the sporting arena when you’re talking about such size at such an early age.

James Wilson out of Nease High School in St. Augustine, Fla., is an exception to the rule, which is why he ranks as the No. 30 overall prospect and the No. 2 guard in the country on the Rivals100 list.

First of all, Wilson is not a “sloppy” 308. Again, kids that age are prone to carrying “bad” weight. Not the case with Wilson. He’s a big boy and he’ll benefit from entering a major college strength and conditioning program, but he has an excellent physical foundation as he heads into his final year of high school ball.

Wilson forms a barrier when he blocks. He does a great job of keeping his bulk underneath him. In other words, he stays in a good football position, which allows him to attack defensive linemen while maintaining control and staying balanced.

Now, lots of prep offensive linemen can stay balanced when they’re setting up, and then they get “top heavy” when they try to strike a blow with a defender. In other words, they lose their balance as soon as they try to explode into a defender. Not so with Wilson. He’ll explode into a defender and keep his weight underneath him at the point of attack. He then locks up well, occupying the defender with his extreme size.

One of the things I always look for in a football player, particularly an offensive lineman, is his natural inclination to play aggressively. Some offensive linemen make contact with a defender almost grudgingly, as if there’s a limit on how many times they can strike a blow or how aggressive they can be on a given play. Wilson’s aggressiveness seems instinctual. When the ball is snapped, he wants to make contact and doesn’t stop until the play is over. He doesn’t have to think about attacking. That’s an innate trait, and Wilson has it.

Wilson also has a chance to be an excellent pass blocker from the guard position. Now I know, he was whipped a couple of times by Kenny Rowe at USC’s camp. But Rowe is a lightning-quick defensive end, and Wilson is a guard. He’ll be matched up against defensive tackles more often than ends.

Wilson forms an excellent base when he sets up for pass blocks, and again, he does an excellent job of keeping his weight over the center of his gravity and forms a wide, balanced base. Wilson maximizes his size by taking up the maximum amount of space that his frame will allow.

Wilson has this little “double clutch” move coming out of his stance at times that will need to be smoothed out. He’ll pop out of his stance and go upright before readjusting back down to a lower blocking base. That’s easily corrected. He’ll also occasionally allow his feet to remain stationary when he has gained control of an opponent in a pass block. But those instances seem rare.

Wilson has narrowed his choices down to Notre Dame and Southern California. He was at Notre Dame in mid-June and worked with Irish offensive line coach John Latina. Charlie Weis gave him a tour of the campus and Wilson said he was impressed. South Bend’s size, or lack there of, is not an issue.

Wilson would like to decide by the first week of August. The Trojans remain a major impediment. But Notre Dame’s chances remain good for this special talent from Florida. He is the centerpiece of Notre Dame’s offensive line recruiting in the Class of 2011.

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we all kno if, god forbid, he chooses USC, that'll bump him up immediately to a 5 star. Isnt that the norm for guys that commit there, lol.

Ha ha seems like. I think a lto of our guys will move up in ranking once they re adjust the top 100 in August.

Wilson closing in on decision

JC Shurburtt

Rivals.com Football Recruiting

It's getting down to crunch time for one of the nation's top trenchmen as Rivals100 offensive guard James Wilson is closing in on a decision between two of the nation's most storied programs.

isn't wilson supose to be announcing soon, i though maybe Aug. 1st.

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

Guest DCIrish

Based on his trip to California, FOUR unoffical visits to USC, and his comments, I would say he is 50/50 and true to his word about it. I guess I thought the trip was more to visit his father, but it sounds to me like he is making an informed decision based on all the factors.

From the outset I've said he is our #1 OL prospect after losing out on Oglesby. Wilson is a beast and could be the next Aaron Taylor.

Truthfully, I did not think we had a chance with him until his visit. It's gonna be a long couple of weeks waiting to hear his decision.

Strong character, tremendous talent and an intelligent young man. It's hard to type when you have all your fingers crossed on landing him...

Guest NDLawJAG

It is all about the mother... Mothers know whats best. I noticed he stayed in santa clarita... I wonder if he visited JC.

Guest SunshineState

The hot rumor is that he commited to USC and the staff when he was out in California. He has yet to tell his mom though. At least that is what he said on his myspace.

The hot rumor is that he commited to USC and the staff when he was out in California. He has yet to tell his mom though. At least that is what he said on his myspace.

That would be too bad if its true Sunshine...if he said it himself on his myspace, I guess its true though. He's sure to be a five-star now!

Guest DCIrish

Great. That would totally suck. Let's hope it's just a rumor.

There is a preseason publication with a picture of USC offensive line unit. They have SO much depth. We are talking like 12 guys. I cannot believe any recruit believes they are lacking on that front as the USC coaches advertise...

If Wilson comes to ND, I would be very surprised if he did not start by the middle of his Freshmen year. He is that great of a talent.

This would be a big blow and I've been very optimistic about recruiting....

We need some good news soon either with Donald, Wilson, Benn, a DL, etc.

Guest SunshineState

No, I guess you should just look at his myspace site. People in Florida are aware of the myspace thing with Nease players because Tim Tebow used myspace a bit during his recruitment. Multiple people have confirmed that it was written. The only question is whether or not it is actually Wilson who wrote it. Many times kids make names up.