Robert Hughes

atrain78255

Update on the nation's 17th rated running back, per Scout...

Chicago running back Robert Hughes (5-11, 227, 4.6), from Hubbard High School, said he favors Notre Dame and Illinois just slightly over Ohio State, Michigan and Minnesota. All offered.

"It's almost too close to call," Hughes said. "All of these schools have a very good chance. I'll just have to pray on it and hope I make the right decision. Right now it's really close. I'd like to decide early, but I might not.

"Notre Dame is a very prestigious school with a tremendous graduate rate and rich tradition. They put out a good team every year, have a high winning percentage, and they play on national TV. I visited unofficially there and even the fans are up-to-date on Notre Dame's recruiting," he said.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BGIF
It's too close to call? Sure. He has a #1 and than everyone else. It's called Notre Dame.

With all the trips he made there to pursue a ND scholarship there can't be anyone else.

Unless his grades don't improve.

Like Paddy Mullen, he had to hit academic offers to earn the offer. Hughes apparently did that. Now he has to hold those numbers through his senior year to keep the offer.

You might recall a WR named Terrell out of Virginia about 8 or 10 years ago. He got an offer and verballed to ND but ND Admissions wanted him to retake and improve his test score. Michigan said we'll take you as you are. He decomitted from ND and played for the wolverweasels. There have been others that were borderline and unlike Mullen chose to take it easy their senior year and go elsewhere to college - somewhere less demanding.

I think Hughes really wants ND. Hit the books, Robert! Make it happen!

Guest TDJesus3

yea i think hughes wants ND, and i think now that he has some goals he will do just fine academically, he seems like a good kid and he worked hard to get the grades becuase he wanted the offer that bad, i think he will work that hard again to keep it and to be irish...or atleast im like BGIF and hope he does

I did not realize that David Terrel commited to ND and decommitted for Michigan. Michigan is probably where he should have gone. fits right in.

not to get off subject but i was really dissapointed when terrel went to michigan. he said the truning point was when he was watching the '97 ND-Hawaii game and said he was turned off by the lack of passing.

Guest DCIrish

A Sports Illustrated article ran around that same time chronicling the "demise" of ND football. If I remember, David Terrell and T.J. Duckett were ready to committ on their first visit. The admissions director essentially told them without a calculus credit they should not even apply....

Not sure, but I think other "big" names during that era ultimately played elsewhere because Holtz and Davie could not get them in...

A Sports Illustrated article ran around that same time chronicling the "demise" of ND football. If I remember, David Terrell and T.J. Duckett were ready to committ on their first visit. The admissions director essentially told them without a calculus credit they should not even apply....

yes i remember reading that, their were a lot of big name players that wanted to go to ND but for whatever reason NDs addmisons people wouldn't let them in. one of those players that was denied was walter paytons son gary payton, who ended up at miami. i remember ducketts freshmen year at MSU when he came into ND stadium and whipped us.

Wow, I didn't realize that we missed out on all of those players due to admissions. That kind of angers me that we turned such great talent down, but the fact that we take the best on and off the field is what keeps us from becoming a Miami or FSU off the field. Although I've witnessed the idiotic coaching moves of BD and TW on TV, maybe we can't blame them as much for their recruiting mistakes

DC, that Duckett recruitment turned real ugly, it was in SI. TJ's dad said ND told him and TJ that academics would be difficult and that they didn't offer basket weaving or something like that, which he took as an insult. It was a case of he said, but that was it for Duckett. Didn't realize Terrel was Irish for a sec, Jarret Payton wanted in to be close to his father before he passed, grades were the issue I believe. I never thought TJ was really considering ND w/ his brother at State.

Guest Kgreene2343
The admissions director essentially told them without a calculus credit they should not even apply....

That sounds pretty harsh, as plenty of people don't take calc in HS. You would need to start out in at least geometry, and then choose to take calc over stats if you only want one math class a year. I can understand that for normal admissions, but not for athletic scholarships.

Guest IndyIrish
The admissions director essentially told them without a calculus credit they should not even apply....

That sounds pretty harsh, as plenty of people don't take calc in HS. You would need to start out in at least geometry, and then choose to take calc over stats if you only want one math class a year. I can understand that for normal admissions, but not for athletic scholarships.

My HS only started offering calculus 5 years ago...

Guest NDLawJAG

Have they changed that as a requirement? Last I heard they were still requireing athletes to have taken HS calculus.

I remember when we signed Randy Moss, and then rejected him after he had a violence incident right afterward so we dumped him. Then FSU took him and even they dumped him after he had yet another incident.

I'm glad that we only take character guys, and if we have higher standards than other programs, so be it

Guest kramer116

I am a senior and I never took calculus in high school and I got in just fine- its a requirement to take as a Freshman in the business and science majors.