Derek Sherrod

Rockne3d

A 6'6" 298lbs 4-star OT from Mississippi has narrowed his list to 5 and ND made the cut. The other 4 are Miss State, Florida, Miami and Ole Miss. Rivals shows him having a ND offer, I wasn't sure if he did.

Here is a comment he had about ND.

"Notre Dame, I have talked to a few of their coaches and they have big plans in store for their team and they are looking for big things.

Guest BGIF
A 6'6" 298lbs 4-star OT from Mississippi has narrowed his list to 5 and ND made the cut. The other 4 are Miss State, Florida, Miami and Ole Miss. Rivals shows him having a ND offer, I wasn't sure if he did....

Baumhower Scout.com reported the offer 5/31 "Irish Offer Sherrod". (the abbreviations are mine)

The ND staff had been quiet one the recruiting front in terms sending out new scholarship offers, but it appears the silence is coming to an end. The Irish have offered a scholarship to OL Derek Sherrod MS Caledonia HS While the name Derek Sherrod (6-6, 298) may be new to Notre Dame fans, the Irish staff has been recruiting him since last fall.

“When school started last year they started sending me letters,” Sherrod responded when asked when Notre Dame started recruiting him. “Around December or January they started sending more personal hand-written letters. That’s when I probably knew they were really interested in me.

“Then I think I called them last Thursday or Friday. My HC told me that they might want me to call up there because they might have some news for me."

“First I called up there and I talked to a bunch of their coaches and then I talked to the HC, Charlie Weis,” Sherrod explained. “He’s a really great man and it eventually came down to him telling me and my mom that they wanted to offer. “I have a lot of interest in playing for them. I hear that they’re a very good school to play at, and they only play the best. The only thing that’s holding them back is that they are so far away, but everything else, they’re looking pretty good. They’re really rich in tradition. They know how to win and they expect to win games. That’s what I like about them." Derek has a long list of schools pursuing him, but they will all have to get around the fact that his brother is currently playing at MSS. “I think I know where he wants me to go,” Derek said with a laugh. “But he’s just happy for me. He’s already proud of me and he’ll be happy for me wherever I go. “I am looking at everybody. The schools that I’m leaning more toward are ND UF MIA LSU LOU USM MISS and of course MSS. But I am keeping my options open, and toward the end of summer I’ll finally settle down and narrow down some of the schools.” Sherrod reports scholarship offers from MSS, Miss, USM, LOU UF UM HOU MIA ARKST, Alcorn St and ND.

Guest BGIF
He's Mississippi State's to lose.

To lose, yes. A lock, no.

True, most brothers want to play together and many do but in each of the articles I've read about this kid he's noted his brother wants him to do what's best for him. I don't think that's a soundbite. I think Derek's sincere.

Mississippi football whether in Starkville or Oxford has had limited success throughout history. Archie Manning sayed home to play but only one of his sons did. Sherrod has the opportunity to play in the big time for a traditional national powers like ND, UF, MIA, or UM. He can play with the best against the best with teams like those. At ND he can compete with the best both athletically and academically.

Sherrod may end up staying home. I've got Starkville as the leading destination at this point (he lives about 10 miles from the State campus) but I think ND has a real shot. Jarious Jackson's family thought ND was a long wayfrom home the first time they made the trip. They lived about 45 minutes from Starkville. Columbus is only another 40 miles more from ND than Tupelo. But it's a whole new world. I think that's appealing to Derek.

Guest DCIrish

BGIF. Great analysis.

I really think his brother being at MSU will tip the scales. I hope not, but I think the blood is thicker than water cliche applies.

Unfortunately I think that won Micah Johnson to Kentucky. His brother is a reserve lineman there. At day's end, that is what took him there. It certainly was not the tradition. UK is deplorable in football. No tradition and no way they can even finish runner-up in the SEC East while he is there. Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina are too much to overcome. However, his brother is there and familiar family faces is usually too much to overcome.

BTW, if we get Sherrod, what does that do to our recruitment of Emeka and vice versa??

Guest Bluesig

Dennis Johnson also followed his brother who was a reserve at Kentucky, although IIRC there were some other issues there that also attracted him there. I am not saying Sherrod isn't being sincere about his brother wanting the best for him but I feel its going to be a huge draw for him.

I just don't see Sherrod leaving the South, probably not even the state of Mississippi. Glad ND made his final 5 but I just don't see him coming although I would love to dead wrong here.

Guest DCIrish

Sir John, I'm originally from Kentucky and have followed that sorry program for some time. I agree, I'm not quite sure what the deal is with kids from KY to ND.

In Holtz's first big recruiting class, Ky.'s Mr. Football Frank Jacobs signed with the Irish. He lost his spot to Derek Brown after one year, but did catch a pass in the national championship game.

The Dennis Johnson deal was hilarious in my opinion. His Dad was given a cushy job at UK a while back as an administrator. Magically it was the year Dennis Johnson signed with UK. Recently his father was fired from his position. Dennis, and others, publicly wondered why? It does not take a NASA engineer to figure that one out. Your son was finished with the program and now you are too...

Ky produces better talent than it did in the 80s, but very few of the kids could play at the level of ND. Tim Couch could, but boosters made it worth it to stay in KY.

Let's hope we can produce some better talent than Jake Carney, Joe Babey and other Kentuckians who have made no impact at ND....

Guest BGIF
... Unfortunately I think that won Micah Johnson to Kentucky. His brother is a reserve lineman there. ...

Family ties are a factor but I don't think Micah "chose" UK over ND. Bear with me here. Somebody else used Johnson in a another thread a day or two ago. I posted there that I doubt he ever cleared ND Admissions. His Scout profile lists:

Johnson reports a 2.3 GPA/October first-time ACT/November first-time SAT unknown.

I noted in the other thread that in more than a decade of following ND recruit GPAs and test scores I didn't know of anyone admitted with that low a GPA and definitely not without a test score. Paddy Mullen was down in that range and was told to raise his numbers and he did. Others have been in the same boat. Some did the class work and were admitted; some like David Terrell took the easy way and "chose" another school.

BTW, if we get Sherrod, what does that do to our recruitment of Emeka and vice versa??

Whether it's Sherrod and Emeka or Wilson, Miller, Ziemba, and Romine more than one isn't going to get in by their action or lack of action. Nuss already upset the nice neat lists of ND fans predications. I don't recall seeing Nuss on anyone's list.

Sherrod could go with his brother. Miller could likewise stay instate, as could Ziemba and Romine. Emeka likes ND now but by his own words he doesn't know much about it. He needs to visit.

Is Charlie offering others because he's worried? I think he's just being prudent and offering others that were less visible but are now rising to the top. I'd expect more offers as the senior high school season moves on when less notables start to shine or get their grades in order.

Another OLine verbal or two is going to put pressure on the others to act. ND might be in their top 2 or 5 but will there be a space available if they let the season play out?

A dozen years ago Javon Kearse pulled the trigger for ND too late and had to go elsewhere. Last year there was at least one WR and a top QB that had opportunities but waited until it was too late.

Guest NDLawJAG

Agree completely BGIF. The great thing about this year is that even the second wave of guys are four star/top 100 types of players. I think Summers-Gavin is another player that may end up with an offer at some point, especially if Wilson selects USC.

I think Summers-Gavin is another player that may end up with an offer at some point, especially if Wilson selects USC.

:evil: that would suck...I like SG but losing Wilson would be a tough pill to swallow. I predict Wilson, Emeka, Romine or Ziemba...4 OLs for this class ought to be enough right?

Guest Subway Alum - MA

I agree. As long as James Wilson is one of them and you include Ryan Miller in the mix with the others! :)

Subway Alum - MA

ND Fan Since 1952

Guest NDLawJAG

You already forgetting Nuss??

I like Nuss, Wilson, and then two of Sherrod, Romine, Ziemba and Miller. I think we take a fifth OL recruit, Emeka, one of the other four tackles or Summers-Gavin. I know SG does not have an offer but I like his flexibility and I think we need someone to back-up Wenger in case Sullivan leaves.