CJ Peake S

chirodomer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BGIF

He hasn't flown under the radar. His name was among the early ones and he's collected some good offers to accompany his ranking at his position.

Peake reports a 2.65 core GPA and awaits his May ACT retake after initially scoring 16.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Subway Alum - MA

I thought it came from "Pom Pom" Carroll, who borrowed it from Bobby Bowden in his haydays at FSU (FXXXK School U). :lol:

I thought it came from "Pom Pom" Carroll, who borrowed it from Bobby Bowden in his haydays at FSU (FXXXK School U). :lol:

It's a paraphrase of Meyer's "negotiations" with ND. He wanted a half dozen exemptions from Admissions.

Did he really actually request that ??? if so, its a shame. He's also an offensive genius, why cant he recruit top notch players with good grades ???

Meyer was an assistant under Holtz and Davie, he knew the academic requirements but wanted to get the kids that Hornung was talking about. The different makers that can't meet ND's Admission requirements. The problem is (as Meyer knew well), if you admit they won't stay eligible. All ND freshman take the same courses. There are no cake courses or programs to "hide" them in. No professor like Auburn's who gives "readings" and verbal "tests". If a kid doesn't have the math background if isn't going to make it when the average freshman has an SAT score 500 points higher (on the old scale even more now).

ND has a great tutoring program to help the student athletes focus on coursework but the kid still has to have the aptitude, the interest, and the determination.

If Meyer was hired and got that wish, half of those 6 or more would become academically ineligible. It was no workable. How do you replace the flunkouts? Only with another freshman a year or two later. ND doesn't take JUCO's and only a rare transfer. From an athletic viewpoints this is a principal reason why the ND admission process is so critical. The ones that won't make it academically have to be screened out so a scholarship isn't wasted. May sound harsh but it's pragmatic.

Perhaps it was Meyer's way of diplomatically saying "No". As a former assistant coach he knew it was a condition ND could not accept. It was a dealbreaker condition and he had to know it.

Guest NDLawJAG

Speaking of which, I read somewhere that UM's number one WR recruit from last year was headed to prep school because he could not qualify. Not sure where I saw that... I look into it this morning.

Guest VagasFerguson44

I'm assuming that you are talking about Miami. If so, it was a RB from last year's class. His name is LeSean McCoy. At one point, he was rated the top RB in the class of 2006. He slipped a little at the end of the year due to injuries and poor academics.