one that got away

Guest irishrick

Guest irishrick

Key QB commits to Jackets

By JEFF D'ALESSIO

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/02/06

One of the Midwest's top high school quarterback prospects says he will play his college football at Georgia Tech.

Steven Threet, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound senior-to-be at Adrian (Mich.) High, has given Yellow Jackets coaches a verbal commitment, becoming the first quarterback to do so for the Class of 2007.

Scout.com ranks Threet as the Midwest's third-best quarterback prospect in this class.

"Threet is a steal for Georgia Tech," Scout.com Midwest recruiting analyst Bob Lichtenfels said Saturday. "He is a big kid with above-average arm strengh. He's accurate and has tremendous touch on all his passes."

As a junior, Threet completed 108 of 238 passes for 1,592 yards with 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

Illinois, N.C. State, Stanford and Wisconsin had all offered scholarships.

Threet is the fifth senior-to-be to say yes to Tech, joining offensive lineman Joseph Gilbert (Cartersville), linebacker Brad Jefferson (Wrightsville), wide receiver Tyler Melton (Houston, Texas) and defensive back Jerrard Tarrant (Carrollton).

:lol:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

im confused how did he get away? rick whats up with this thread?

frankly if hes a qb going to ga tech im not sure he was even on our radar ever

I lived 20 miles from Adrian during last football season and didn't even hear about this kid ... and I'm a sportswriter. He didn't get away, we let him go.

Hey Ital-Irish if you are a sports writer do you have any connection on info that we can't get?And who do you write for?Just thought I would ask and glad to see you posting. :lol:

I work in Port Huron and I probably can't get any inside information. We don't cover any college football directly, which is what allows me to partake in discussions on this site without a conflict of interest. (But I'm young yet and hopefully will be covering it in the future :D )

But I was at the Hillsdale Daily News which was near Adrian, and like I said, had never heard of this kid.

Here is a kid that definitely got away. This post is kind of random but I was looking through Scout and was impressed by the kids numbers and stats and was surprised that I hadn't even heard anything about him. Usually we are pretty good about finding the under the radar talent and at least competing with them.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2410674

Guest Irishmac1988

hmm...kids that got away are guys like micah johnson who would have been an absolute stud at ND and similar players

Guest BGIF
it just kills me that ND couldn't land micah johnson. :(

Was he ever landable?

Allen Wallace wrote on 11/21/05 after Johnson's ND visit:

" ... Johnson is very familiar with the program at UK, not only because of proximity, but his brother Christian Johnson is an OG for the team. "I will probably take an official up there, though I'm up there very often unofficially. "I mean, just them being in-state helps. I know the coaches very well… I know the players very well… I know their football team, and I know they can be good in the future. They have players that make things happen," Johnson explained. ...

2.3 GPA/First time ACT & SAT not yet reported.

Johnson's Scout and Rivals Profiles still don't list a test score.

I noted in another thread (about a current prospect) that in over 10 years of watching prospect's GPAs and test scores, I've never seen anyone with a 2.3 admitted to ND. At ND the "student" still comes first in "student athlete".

And then there's the brother that plays football for UK.

Guest Shamrock83

I was pretty bummed out about Terrance Austin last year.. but after I saw his little dance in the Army game I lost that feeling