Major Wright

IrishNY1985

I read on another message board that we are in much better shape with Wright than many had thought. I know many think it will be very tough to pull him out of Florida but hopefully the commits of ex-teammates Sam Young and Dan Wenger can help sway him to SB. That and the possiblity for almost immediate playing time, although he will have to compete with the likes of Bruton and Herring among others. I think we all could get very excited about the possibility of a Walls-Wright-Sergio Brown-McNeil defensive backfield in a few years. Wow!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be EXTREMELY exited about that backfield. That would the best backfield in the nation after a couple years of coaching. I really want Wright, but I hear he has some consistency problems and that he is somewhat of a liabilty in coverage...however with the coaching ND is offering now, that could be fixed.

Guest TeamUlovetohate

Well, this is the guy i'm almost 100% sure Miami lands. I would be positively stunned/baffled if he were to end up anywhere else. All the reports i'm hearing close to our program indicate that Miami is the team to beat for his services.

lovetohate,

Could you tell us how the depth chart for Miami is looking right now and for the immediate future in a year or so? I am not at all familiar with their secondary or depth, although it seems year after year Miami DBs get drafted into the NFL, usually very high. I ask because it just seems that Wright may have a better chance to get on the field earlier in his career at SB after Zibby and Ndukwe leave after this year probably. That wouldn't be his sole reason for choosing the Irish but could definitely contribute.

Guest TeamUlovetohate
lovetohate,

Could you tell us how the depth chart for Miami is looking right now and for the immediate future in a year or so? I am not at all familiar with their secondary or depth, although it seems year after year Miami DBs get drafted into the NFL, usually very high. I ask because it just seems that Wright may have a better chance to get on the field earlier in his career at SB after Zibby and Ndukwe leave after this year probably. That wouldn't be his sole reason for choosing the Irish but could definitely contribute.

We're pretty deep at DB right now. We have two the nation's top safeties in Brandon Meriweather and Ken Philips, with capable backups in Anthony Reddick and Lovon Ponder. We've got a lot of young talent at CB as well. If major was to come here, i'd see no problem for him earning pt. Ken Philips will most likely bolt for the NFL (he's a sophmore this season) after his junior season, which will open up a spot for Major to compete for.

Guest NDLawJAG

He is a great hitter but I think he would have to be more consistent in pass coverage before I would be excited to see him back there. I do not want to see any more blown coverages like last year.

yes, I agree TD, we're very deep at safety and its probably not as much a need area as say DL, I think thats pretty obvious. But I had heard a rumor that Gaines may switch position to Apache and you can never have too much talent at one position.

with that said, I still think we are absolutely fine with Bruton/Herring and then the incoming freshmen Sergio Brown, Gordon, and Gaines

thanks for the info lovetohate

Ok, you guys say he is a little suspect in his defensive coverage, so whats the possibility that Wright comes in and maybe plays some linebacker?? Right now he is 6'1 205lbs, and he definitely can run, not sure if he has 4.4 speed, but he can definitely run. I think he may be better suited for Apache than safety. He can probably cover tight ends, and running backs better than a receiver. what do you guys think ???

Ok, you guys say he is a little suspect in his defensive coverage, so whats the possibility that Wright comes in and maybe plays some linebacker?? Right now he is 6'1 205lbs, and he definitely can run, not sure if he has 4.4 speed, but he can definitely run. I think he may be better suited for Apache than safety. He can probably cover tight ends, and running backs better than a receiver. what do you guys think ???

I could see that happening.Wright comes to ND and puts on a few pounds and see him move to the Apache LB.With his speed and the way he hits iwould say he would fit in just nicely.

Guest SirJohn

TeamU, you have been a great visitor DD should make you honrary Irish if that wouldn't get you run out of Miami. :lol:

Checked your schedule and we share Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

You get Boston College and mostly none of us here care if you whump em. I see Louisville in Louisville again. That's going to be a tricky one. I'd prefer you beat my hometown team :D but they are a program on the rise. Tiny Papa Johns stadium 43,000 is to expand to 63,000 (Still small by some standards. The AD's a winner and Brohm and Co are nothing to sneeze at.

Guest TeamUlovetohate
TeamU, you have been a great visitor DD should make you honrary Irish if that wouldn't get you run out of Miami. :lol:

Checked your schedule and we share Georgia Tech and North Carolina.

You get Boston College and mostly none of us here care if you whump em. I see Louisville in Louisville again. That's going to be a tricky one. I'd prefer you beat my hometown team :D but they are a program on the rise. Tiny Papa Johns stadium 43,000 is to expand to 63,000 (Still small by some standards. The AD's a winner and Brohm and Co are nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks for the kind remarks Sir John. I agree that our Louisville game will not be an easy one, especially since it will be after the FSU game. GT and UNC are two up and coming programs that should be VERY good in a couple of years. The ACC imo, is on it's way to becoming the Nation's best conference. ND needs to be prepared for GT because that team is good for at least one upset per year. They got us last year, and i'm still pretty pissed off about that.

Guest TDJesus3

they got you because you couldnt adjust to their blitz

im not worried, ball is a turnover machine and yes johnson is good but hes really all on offense that should scare anyone

yes, their d can be tricky, but you can bet it will be their d adjusting to our o, not vice versa, after a whole offseason no way does weis not come out and shock that defense

opening game on national tv at night, smells like last year, watch for us to route them just like pitt, statement game for sure

Guest TeamUlovetohate

We lost to GT for alot of reasons, and yes are OL and offensive srategy should have some blame for it (Kehoe, former OL coach is gone as well as idiot Werner, former OC), but Miami came into that game unprepared. Just like for the LSU game. The GT game came off the heels of that emotional win over VT, and i think we might of had a letdown of some sort. We got what we deserved. Next time we'll be better prepared.