Marvin Austin enjoys Miami visit

dangeruss

Austin likes Miami, ready for FSU

By Mike Farrell, Recruiting Analyst

Washington (D.C.) Coolidge defensive tackle Marvin Austin recently took an unofficial visit to Miami and is heading down to Tallahassee to check out the Florida State Seminoles this weekend. Austin updates us on his recruiting and a possible change of high schools.

"I liked Miami a lot, it was a great," said the 6-foot-2, 291-pounder who is ranked as the No. 2 player in the nation. "I fit in very well and I liked the coaches. I spent time with coach Mosely and coach Shannon and we talked about how they'd put me in position to make plays.

"Miami was very late to offer me, but it's all good now. The visit made up ground for the late offer. I knew they had some coaching changes and were still adjusting."

Austin liked the area.

"It reminded me of D.C. a bit except there were Lamborghinis rolling down the street and you don't see that back home. I like the city area and that it's not a college town. I also got to meet some players like Brandon Meriweather and they were cool. We just talked about the school and how they liked it there."

Next up for Austin is an unofficial trip to Florida State this weekend.

"I'm looking forward to it," he said. "I want to see what the coaches are about, how I fit in and meet some of the players and see how they are. I also want to compare Miami and FSU and see what I like about each."

Austin named his final 10 recently. Has anything changed in the last couple of weeks?

"No, my top 10 is still the same," he said. "All the teams on my list are equal. These visits help me gather information about schools and that's important for when I try to decide what official visits I'll take. I'm still hoping to get out to Southern Cal this summer if I can but that's about it."

Austin admitted that one school did take a bit of a hit on his list recently.

"I spoke to Melvin Alaeze this week about the whole Maryland thing and it kind of hurts Maryland that he won't be there," he said. "He would have helped me if I went there by keeping double teams off me and by being someone I can learn things from on the field. Maryland is still in my top 10, but I'm disappointed he won't be there."

Austin is also making a school change.

"I'll be playing at Ballou High School next year," he said. "A lot of my teammates will probably go as well. One of our assistant coaches at Coolidge, Todd Amis, got hired over there and he's a great guy so we're following him. Our head coach did some stuff I didn't like, but I won't go into it."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamUlovetohate

Miami is looking VERY good for Austin at this moment, and i'm very excited about that. I like our chances.

And yes Broker, there are a TON of drugs going in and out of town. I'll give you that.

Guest TeamUlovetohate

I'm suprised his top 10 is still the same. Not too long ago, he stated that Miami was his frontrunner and he might take visits to about two other schools (namely USC and FSU). Seems as if he's had a change of heart.

Guest TDJesus3

i think there are two things keeping ND in the running, Benn and Charlie, Wright would help, but he may end up at miami i really think it comes down to ND and Miami for him too...i say we split we end up with Wright and Austin goes to the U

Guest SirJohn

U congratulations on the guy.

For me on the field we will contest each other. Since we are not playing each other always welcome and skoal, salut :drunk:

Guest TeamUlovetohate
U, I think you land Austin.

I commend you for coming on this site and handling yourself with class. Obviously you are a Miami fan but are you also a Notre Dame fan?

LOL. Broker, please don't take this the wrong way, but I HATE ND football with a passion. Don't you remember the eighties? There's no way a Miami fan could also like ND football. You see, its the ND fans that i like and respect. It's their knowledge of the game and passion that interests me. Its really the only reason i'm on this board, so i can talk football with you guys.

U Fan,

Welcome to the DD.You seem to be a class act and a person I can ask this question and get a good answer. How do you feel about the tarnished reputation of the Miami program especially after admitting that Williams kid that was arrested, I think it was 13 times, to play linebacker. I think that would bother me but it didnt seem to bother Coker or the president of the University. I feel they dont really care about who they bring in as long as they can play ball. I kind of feel bad for the kids there that will never see the field because this kid will be playing in front of them but are solid citizens and probably damn good football players. Your thoughts?

did anyone else see the comment about how he liked that it wasnt a college town. he likes the city. i think the U is going to be a really happpy guy u love to hate come feb. CW should just quit wasting is time and me on to plan B it jsut isnt in the cards. funny how notre was one of the fist to offer and miami was the last and there going to land him.

Guest SirJohn

Jumping in on SB not being LA. (This is for you too U, from Miami)

If you can find the book "Burning Desire" by Coach Paulie Miller (A History of Louisville Flaget High Scool) You will find Mr Golden Boy and Heismen winner Paul Hornung was visiting back in Louisville from the Green Bay packers to talk to some of the Flaget players. I presume they expected the usual ND? One stated he really wanted to play for ND to Hornung. Hornung's reply was "Nah! Go to Miami...more girls." :lol: :lol:

100% true.

Guest TeamUlovetohate
U Fan,

Welcome to the DD.You seem to be a class act and a person I can ask this question and get a good answer. How do you feel about the tarnished reputation of the Miami program especially after admitting that Williams kid that was arrested, I think it was 13 times, to play linebacker. I think that would bother me but it didnt seem to bother Coker or the president of the University. I feel they dont really care about who they bring in as long as they can play ball. I kind of feel bad for the kids there that will never see the field because this kid will be playing in front of them but are solid citizens and probably damn good football players. Your thoughts?

This is'nt an easy question for me to answer BG Tom, seeing as how i've never met Willie Williams nor am i fully aware of the relationship he had with our coaching staff at the time. But from what i've gathered, it seems as if Williams met with the coaching staff face to face and was man enough to confess his mistakes and that he really screwed up. He promised to right his wrongs and clean up his act face to face with the coaches/president, and i think that really impressed them. So they gave him another chance (however if he screws up again, he's GONE). He's a guy who actually does well in the classroom, so he must have a brain. Let's all hope he uses it from now on. Does this tarnish our reputation? Depends on who you ask imo. I can understand those who feel the kid should be punished to the full extent, and i can understand those who feel the kid deserved just one more chance. I'll tell you one thing though, the kid has been a hard working, model citizen ever since.

"I kind of feel bad for the kids there that will never see the field because this kid will be playing in front of them but are solid citizens and probably damn good football players."

Williams has'nt really played significant minutes as of yet. That could change this season however.

Guest TeamUlovetohate

BTW, i'm not that confident to actually think Austin is definitely coming to Miami. He won't be committing anytime soon, and he still has yet to see FSU and USC. He certainly could change his mind ( and i won't be suprised if he does) after making those visits. I won't get my hopes up for him, because anything can happen before NSD.

Guest TDJesus3

good way to look at it U, i would be suprised if Austin isnt offical until NSD, even if he does verb on the spot im not so sure i would trust it until NSD that kid just seems to have to many options for his own good