Ben Martin

dangeruss

Martin has heard them all

by DAN SILVER

Rumors are as much a part of the fabric of recruiting as the rankings.

Ben Martin, the 6-foot-five, 230-pound defensive end from Ohio has been given plenty of news about his recruiting lately. Unfortunately, more has been fiction than fact.

“Let’s see,” he began, “I have stopped talking to the coaches at Ohio State because they were recruiting another defensive end.

“I accepted a scholarship offer from Notre Dame and will most likely be reporting there in January as an early enrollee. Plus, Coach Minter has guaranteed that I will be starting right away.

“I have had a coach call me because he heard that I was injured in a summer workout and will be out of action for months,” he concluded – but with the implication that he could have gone on for quite a bit longer with the list.

“There is not a single bit of truth to any of that. I am fine with the coaches at Ohio State. There has been no problem with anybody on the staff at Ohio State. They are still recruiting me. I have an offer from Notre Dame, and I have been recruited by Coach Minter, but there is nothing more to any of that. And I am as healthy as I have ever been.”

So clearly, for whatever reason (likely because he is so highly regarded), Martin has become the center of the endless rumors that are generated by the minute on the Internet. Is that aspect of recruiting getting to the young man?

“Yes, it can be overwhelming at times. I want to make the best decision that I can make with the most information possible, so I won’t rush my decision. I need to do all of my homework,” he said, acknowledging the extra burden but refusing to let it dictate a knee-jerk decision.

“I am still right on track where I want to be at this point. I will make a decision sometime late in my season or, most likely, when my season is over. The only news since the last time I spoke with BGI is that Penn State has started to jump into the picture. They have come after me pretty hard over the last month or so. At this point, I really do not have any leader. I am not even comfortable naming a top five, six, or seven.”

The message, then, is clear. Others can speak for him as much as they want, but only until he is sure in his own mind will Ben Martin let us know where he will play his college football. Until then, don’t believe everything you hear about him.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TD is right. Martin denied all these rumors but those denials are NOT true. He says it is not true that he is not talking to the OSU staff, yet here is a recent quote from Ben Martin:

Last time I talked to Ohio State was when I talked to coach (Jim) Tressel last month but I texted them a little this month."

I think the only false thing he said regarding ND was that he was guaranteed a starting spot, Weis doesn't and wouldn't do that. Hopefully the EE and commit part was true, he seems to think highly of Minter, most do in the Cinci area.

Martin has a few teams on his mind

By Josh Helmholdt, TheWolverine.com Recruiting Analyst

When it comes to combining size, speed and athleticism, few defensive ends around the country can compare with Cincinnati (Ohio) LaSalle's Ben Martin. That's why when the Rivals.com top 100 list is revealed next week, the 6-5, 227-pound Ohio product should see his name high on the list. There are a couple colleges that have already made the way to the top of his list.

"Schools I am interested in right now are probably Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida, Penn State and Michigan," said Martin who already plans three of those for official visits. "Florida and Ohio State and Notre Dame for sure."

Michigan offered the Cincinnati standout earlier this spring and have kept in close contact with Martin. Their recruiting efforts are led by offensive coordinator Mike DeBord.

"He texts me a couple times a week," said Martin. "They have a winning tradition. If you go to Michigan, you know you are going to play for a winning team. I have never been up there, but I heard it is a great place. The only person I know up there now is Mister Simpson, who went to Colerain. I don't know him personally, I just know his name."

Martin never grew up rooting for any particular college, but over the course of the recruiting process he did say he has become fond of watching Ohio State play football.

"I like their style of play," he said. "I went up to a few games and it was amazing how fast those players got to the ball."

In an effort to get a head start on official visits, Martin plans to take a couple trips this summer. Ann Arbor is a destination he and his family are considering, but there are a couple schools he plans to visit in the month of June and he will have specific aspects he will be looking for in those schools on the trip.

"I've got a busy summer. This month I am going down to Florida and I might stop at Tennessee too," Martin said. "I want to know how the players feel about the coaches, see what kind of people they are and see if everything looks as good from the inside as it does when you are on the outside."

For now, Martin plans to take official visits during the fall, but he also does not want to take longer with the process than he needs and would like to make a decision soon after all or some of those official visits.

"Hopefully soon after my season, if not before that," said Martin. "Whenever I feel comfortable with a school, then I'll commit. If I go to a place, check it out a few times and realize that is the place for me, then I'm going to commit then. I'm not going to commit until I am 100 percent sure."

TD is right. Martin denied all these rumors but those denials are NOT true. He says it is not true that he is not talking to the OSU staff, yet here is a recent quote from Ben Martin:

Last time I talked to Ohio State was when I talked to coach (Jim) Tressel last month but I texted them a little this month."

do you have that article or link? i thought i read this also and i have an osu boy calling me out.

Martin never grew up rooting for any particular college, but over the course of the recruiting process he did say he has become fond of watching Ohio State play football.

"I like their style of play," he said. "I went up to a few games and it was amazing how fast those players got to the ball."

We need to get this kid to a game big time...hm maybe we can hook him up with the Fiesta Bowl rematch this year?

Guest IndyIrish

I was talking to my best friend's dad, who is a tOSU alumnus and is pretty close to the program...I brought up "the DE from Cincy (Martin)"...

"I really like your chances" he said to me. He went on to say that our defensive coach (Minter) gets alot of respect in that area of the state and wouldn't be surprised if ND does well in the future there.

Martin would be a great, great pull, considering Tressel has pretty much had Ohio locked down recently

Guest Svoboda

Everything I'm hearing on this one is that Ben Martin does not want to play for ND but his mother is insisting because she loves the value of a Catholic education.

Everything I'm hearing on this one is that Ben Martin does not want to play for ND but his mother is insisting because she loves the value of a Catholic education.

really, where did you hear that? i hope that it's not true. i read a post over on II where someone stated that martin and wilson will be irish.

http://notredame.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=75526836&sid=&style=2

Guest Svoboda

really, where did you hear that? i hope that it's not true. i read a post over on II where someone stated that martin and wilson will be irish.

http://notredame.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=75526836&sid=&style=2

I spoke with someone that has ties to the Buckeye program. Normally I doubt what most opposing insiders say, he has been on top of every Buckeye commit this season.

Hell, he knew what color boxers Brandon Saine would be wearing when he annoucned. I keed, but you get the point.

Re: The Ben Martin thread(No ND/OSU bashers allowed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its very telling that he mentions going to ND is a place. Where there is nothing to do and you cant get into trouble. This sounds so much like a mothers perspective.

My kids were in a private Catholic school. They opted for our local school. What struck me was that our local school system was quite good. IM sure the mother will push for ND it make sense from her perspective. I mean to protect her child from...misc.

Point is what is best for Ben. He is a youngman and will enter into the world. I just hope for him to make a choice not for anyone but Ben.

But if his mothers desire is to have her son around a Coach that will TEACH him, the real Chritian values of life.Then from all the people I talk to ,Tressel would be hard to beat.In addition, I was informed that Weiss ,has a real potty mouth. Just some food for thought.

ND is a fine school, both schools provide ALL the things you will need for great education. What I think is most telling is Tressel will provide ,the Christian values ,as he lives them. They are his life. He could be coaching at any school his values would remain the same..

You dont have to go to ND to have Christian values.From a parents perspective its obvious. OSU and Tressel= education& Christian values. ND and Weiss= education&cosmetic Chrstian values. Im not here to flame, I just read all I can and ask questions of anyone that has contact with these coaches.

Ask yourself this question. Which coach would provide your son with the values you would want him to carry through inlife?

saw this ben martin post over on bucknuts and i just couldn't believe what i read. i didn't know jim tressel had values.

http://mb15.scout.com/fohiostatefrm2.showMessage?topicID=19646.topic

Guest IndyIrish

I would disregard that poster on Bucknuts....he seems to forget the fact that Tressel's YSU program was found guilty of several infractions and would have been stripped of the 1991 1-AA National Championship except the statute of limitations had passed.

Then eerily similar allegations/rumors/truths occur immediately upon taking hold of tOSU's program; i.e. strange high-paying jobs for football players - jobs they don't even have to show up for, he directs them to a local car dealer but doesn't hand them the keys (re: plausible deniability), players found guilty of taking money, etc.

The fact is all you have to do is look up tOSU's arrest record since Tressel took over and you know that poster is insane.

In fact, Santonio Holmes was arrested twice in a month since being drafted...setting a great example for his 3 children with 3 women, thus showing his "great Catholic values" he learned from Sweatervest.

One last thing....I'm pretty sure I've seen Tressel say "Bull$#!^" a few times on the sidelines. AHH! POTTY-MOUTH!

• 2 weeks later...