Deonte Thompson?

dangeruss

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thompson has SICK speed. ridiculous. He is an element that our offense could really use. But he is what he is. He's an incredibly fast guy, not an incredible football player at this point. Hopefully in due time. He is a "combine" type of guy. Great measurables but it has not fully translated to the football field yet. His hands have been the biggest question. That being said, from a tools standpoint I would take a chance on him in a heart beat. Big time talent but still quite a project. Football requires more than just speed, although that is a good place to start. He has to be a football player, not just a track guy.

I'm not sure exactly what you saw that didnt impress you ?? I mean, not every high school junior in America has the ability to run by people like that on the football field. He has track speed and football speed, two different things that again, not every high school junior in America has. He makes plays with the ball in his hands, and once he has the slightest crease, he's gone !!!

As for me, I hope he's Irish !!! Gold helmets, gold teeth, beautiful combination, lol. Personally I think he's the verbal that everyone has been talking about out of Florida. Watch out fellas, he's gonna surprise alot of people !!!!!

... Gold helmets, gold teeth, beautiful combination ...

An illuminating image I had never envisioned. But it's stuck in my mind now.

the more I watched, the more impressed I was. I realize that this is his highlight video (not too many clips of him droppoing the ball! :o ) but not only is he insanely fast but if you notice, he seems to have no fear. There are a few nice clips of him coming across the middle and picking the ball away and not considering the location of oncoming defenders. He also does not go down easily-great clip of him struggling with 3 defenders at goal line. He doesn't make it but there was no dancing he just tried to bull rush 'em-I like it. Think his upside is huge, never saw these clips before and think he could be every bit as good a get for us anyone. Would love to have someone that makes a little bead of sweat roll down into the eye of the CB when lined up weak side, one on one. Awfully lonely out there when the guy you are looking at might run by you so quickly you feel the breeze!

Guest VagasFerguson44

Alright, before I write anything I have t admit that I did not read beyond dangeruss' first post. So, I'm going to make some generalizations here because I AM PISSED and SADDENED by the lack of football prowess on this board now.

You know I'm so pissed I'm not going to even elaborate other than to say this. Go back and watch the Benn video count how many times he scored versus how many times he was caught from behind or tackled. Now watch DT's video again and do the same. Not even close in comparison. Not to menion that DT is supposedly the speed guy but I saw him run through tackles much the same as Benn. And DT seems to have just as sure hands as Benn. The one big difference between these two is the ability to separate from the defender before and after the catch. Guess which one is clearly better at separating because he has that thing we all have an allergic reaction to here called SPEED.

And before any of you say well I'm sure Benn had many more touchdowns and yada yada. Well, why didn't I see them in his videos?

If Benn is truly the better receiver and is justifiably ranked higher than DT, it must be because of his blocking because it sure "ain't" because of his explosiveness and skills as a receiver.

Anyone who says Benn's video is more impressive than Deonte's needs to put down the Crystal Meth and RUN to the nearest drug treatment center. Please, I really don't want to be watching a drug recovery story about any of you on the PBS series, Frontline, a year from now!

Vagas, let me begin by saying that I think Benn and Thompson are both extremely impressive. But in my opinion of your critiquing of the two you are basing it too heavily solely on speed. Benn is a phenomenally talented WR. Has good speed, great hands, big time ability to break tackles and out muscle DB's for the ball. He may not have Thompson's breakaway speed but he has separation speed and strength at the line which is more important. Thompson has incredible speed but Benn is more fundamentally sound with better hands and much more strength. actually, ridiculous strength. Just like DT's speed.

Again, they are both great talents but I feel you are basing your observation too heavily on just speed. Obviously you have the right to an opinion and I am not trying to say you are wrong. I just think you are focusing on speed too much. Being a great WR is MUCH more than speed. It is very rare that the best WR on a team is also the fastest.

Guest JerseyDomer

after watchin it several times, he is very impressive to say the least. Yes it is a highlight clip but was 2:32 of excellent plays. I really liked the fact that there was/is no showboatin goin on with him, the last TD he dives in the endzone but I'm fine with that, he doesn't seem to have "hotdog " in him. The play with around 1:41 on the reel was impressive, he split the whole LB and secondary down the middle. The play Crazy mentioned at the goal line was telling too. If CW could pull him in, well, it be a tremendous get.

Guest FightingIrishMan

Deonte has room to develop into a better WR, but don't forget how Benn can develop as well. He can become faster. Supposedly speed can be 'taught' to a player but if you think about it, it really can.

When he gets to ND if Charlie thinks he needs more speed then he can do running drills and explosive training. You might be surprised at how much speed he could gain from this. Many college athletes do it when they are preparing for the NFL combine. By looking at his build he obviously has the work ethic to get faster IF Weis thinks it is a huge deal ( which i dont think it really is) Sure hes not gonna be running a 4.28 but he can get fast enough to have better breakaway ability

just throwing that out there

Guest SunshineState

Also remember that Thompson is from South Florida while Benn plays in Washington DC. Thea speed and taltent in south florida is unmatched. If you can produce down there then you can produce anywhere.

Everything I hear from people down there seem to think he is a lock to stay in state, either at Florida or Miami.

i guess i need to put down the crystal meth and check my self into rehab. why does benn have ten films that are two plus mins long and DT only has one or two tapes with some of the same highlights on them. DT is a track star that plays football. he eventully could develop into a football player with track speed,but right now he is just a fast guy on the field that makes plays he is supossed to make.