Notre Dame in trouble?

Guest FightingIrishMan

Guest FightingIrishMan

saw this on irishenvy.com

comes from profootballtalk.com, what do you make of this?

WEIS, IRISH FLIRTING WITH DISASTER?

A league source with intimate knowledge of the applicable NCAA regulations tells us that Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis might have rendered quarterback Brady Quinn and other incoming seniors ineligible if, as we previously have reported, Weis has directed the seniors with designs on pro football to pick their agents before the start of the 2006 season.

Rule 12.3.1 of the NCAA bylaws states that "[a]n individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation in that sport." Rule 12.3.1.1 elaborates on the general principle set forth in Rule 12.3.1: "An individual shall be ineligible per Bylaw 12.3.1 if he or she enters into a verbal or written agreement with an agent for representation in future professional sports negotiations that are to take place after the individual has completed his or her eligibility in that sport." A screen shot of the relevant page from the on-line NCAA manual appears below.

So what does it all mean? If Quinn or any other of his teammates actually pick a football agent before the completion of their eligibility, their eligibility might be completed far sooner than they realized.

The key is that eligibility evaporates per Rule 12.3.1.1 even if there's only a verbal agreement between, for example, Quinn and agent Don Yee that Yee will represent Quinn, and that a written agreement for the representation will be signed later. Although it might be difficult for the NCAA to prove that there's a violation if Quinn and Yee mutually agree to claim that there was no agreement, the fact that Quinn is going through the process of interviewing agents and narrowing the field before his final season of college ball is strong circumstantial evidence of an intention to pick his agent while still otherwise eligible. The fact that Yee and others are participating in the process is likewise circumstantial evidence of an implicit agreement that they'll agree to represent Quinn, if picked to do so.

The broader question is whether the NCAA will dare to do anything that might result in killing the goose that lays beneath the golden dome. Our guess? The powers-that-be will stick their heads in the sand on this one, content in spewing the party line that no final selections have been made by any of the Notre Dame seniors.

Still, it's a risk that Weis would have been wise not to take, in light of the plain language of the relevant bylaws (unless, of course, he got advance approval from the NCAA that it's okay to tell his guys to pick their agents if they merely don't tell the agents they've been picked).

And what does Weis really gain by forcing the players to pick agents now? Although some league insiders think it's a brilliant strategy for minimizing distractions, it's also a possible means for fomenting resentment from players who would have preferred not to be rushed. Many factors still need to be determined, and an agent who looks to be the right choice in June might not ultimately be a player's best bet come January.

As one league insider told us on Sunday, "Weis isn't doing the kids any favors by sheltering them. He instead should be educating them so that they can make good decisions at the right time."

Indeed, the only college players who talk to agents during the seasons are the college players who want to. Really, why should Weis or any other coach tell the players that they can't use what little free time they have talking to potential agents?

Stay tuned. At a time when the media ripped ferociously into various scandals that emerged in April regarding USC, we figure that there's enough blood in the water to prompt a few of them to take a hard look at whether the efforts of Charlie Weis to minimize distractions have inadvertently created a big fat one

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

nah, no worries no one is signing anything, there just picking who will be their agent, they won't even verb to an agent their just going to get rid of the rest, most the schools do the same thing with their top guys, that way they don't have the distraction during the year...no big deal

take it to the bank nothing will happen and no rule was broken

this is a load of crap started by ND haters, anyone who buys into even possible violations needs to get their head checked, no offense irishman i know ur just passing the info, but don't buy into itl

Guest VagasFerguson44

Charlie Weis should actually be commended for having his players do this. Once the season starts (between classes and football) the last these guys will want to do is worry about agents. Everything is fine as long as they don't sign with an agent. You can (and should) interview all the candidates you want as long as you don't:

A) receive and monetary or other gift from the agent

B) sign a contract or other legal papers with the agent

I see this article and the subsequent repsonse generated as a plus for ND. TD is right there will be nothing bad to come of it for ND and the football program according to NCAA rules. And it will highlight the fact that there are many ND players from the 2006 team that will be playing in the NFL next year. That should be another positive impression on prospective recruits.

No worries. First and foremost, Charlie is not stupid.

Has anyone ever read Profootballtalk.com. They completely lack credibility. They always say that have inside sources, or in their terms they refer to them as their moles. Who supposedly have inside info for them. But usually it never is true. They operate by the theory that if you throw enough $hit into the air eventually some of it will stick to the walls.

Guest VagasFerguson44

"They operate by the theory that if you throw enough $hit into the air eventually some of it will stick to the walls."

Trust me Broke, don't I know. I do that first thing in the morning every day right before I get into the shower. Works every time!

Guest bluester2000

As someone with some experience in the legal community I think this is bogus. Why shouldn't an athlete be allowed to select an agent? Is that agent gaining anything by the signing? Not a whole lot until the end of the season. Does the athlete gain anything by the signing? Nothing except the opportunity to focus on school and the field. God forbid we allow students to actually focus on school. It is a distraction that should either be allowed completely (you can sign with anyone at any time provided there's no exchange of goods, services, etc) OR completely disallowed (if you're an agent and you have any contact with a player you're done... I don't know what kind of punishment you could implement). Either way it's one or the other not some mixed hybrid.

Once again however I love the "muck" these "journalists" are "raking." (I love air quotes). But none-the-less these people are out to nail ND any way possible.

I think this is Bogus to - there are many people out there that loved seeing Notre Dame down in the dumps before Charlie came on board and now that we are climbing back up were we should be! They are going to try and bring us back down!!!!

Charlie is a man of intergrity and loves this University and would not do anything to hurt it!!!

GO IRISH!!!!

Blue, you're my boy, good to see you, good luck w/ school, etc.

Yeah, what a bunch of BS....you don't think that CW has a copy of the rule book memorized at this point, the guy is helping rework the NCAA replay system (as a second year coach!), and hasn't had the smallest blemish of an infraction in his tenure. You guys are going to have to work harder and smarter to frame Charlie, you can't catch the guy that's legit, smarter, and always ahead of you!

GO IRISH!

Guest VagasFerguson44

I heard there was an additional article written by SI about this topic. Who wrote the article, anyone know? If it was Rick Reilley that wrote the article than I can guarantee we'll be okay. That guy should be selling coins or "precious" gems on QVC instead of covering sports. Every single word that comes out of that guys mouth/hands is a farce and incredible. And I mean EVERY word. If that guy came up to me and said nothing else but, "Hello." I accuse him of being a liar and biased.

Guest VagasFerguson44

Sir John, you forgot a very important name to add to the lump...Ivan "Lurch" Maisel. Does that guy not look and talk like "Lurch" from the Addam's Family?!