Wolke transfers...

paisan78

David Wolke has transferred, hasnt chosen school yet...

Any thoughts on this in case the unimaginable happens and Quinn goes down?

Or does it not really matter with Sharpley, Frazer and Jones available? I liked Wolke based solely on that he was a junior and even though he never played he has practiced for two years and knows the offense better than two true freshman and a sophomore could.

Thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

wolke was behind sharpley let alone the freshman, this shouldnt affect the team at all, in fact as broke has said on here many times transfers are a good thing they show that the depth has increased and there is better young talent taking playing time from older guys who aren't on their level

welcome paisan

Guest FightingIrishMan

Wassssup paisan. Welcome

but anyways, won't affect anything

I expect one of our 3 incoming qb's will transfer at some point. I hate to see talent leave ND but not everyone can play :(

wolke was behind sharpley let alone the freshman, this shouldnt affect the team at all, in fact as broke has said on here many times transfers are a good thing they show that the depth has increased and there is better young talent taking playing time from older guys who aren't on their level

welcome paisan

Good point, hadn't thought about it from that perspective...

I have wondered the same thing about one of the incoming 3 QB's transferring eventually, if it happens, who is most likely? I see D. Jones switiching positions more likely than transferring, although that could change considering all the talent possibly being brought in at WR and DB.

Guest TDJesus3

yea the other thing to remember is weis is such a good qb coach our second and third string guys will be getting looks from the NFL so u never know what will happen

wolke didnt have NFL potential it is to bad he is leaving, u have a full ride to ND, that diploma should be worth more than playing time on the field but whatever makes him happy...good luck to u wolke

With Brady Quinn leaving fter this year, I dont think any of the other QB's will transfer. And i recall an article on IrishEyes where DJ says he will be playing QB. Sharpley will probably start next year, with the younger guys pushing for playing time.

Guest FightingIrishMan

D. Jones doesnt want to play another position. If he doesnt get get to play qb we will have to see if his love of ND will overide his desire to play qb, making him a WR/DB if he decides to stay. I think he will play if he is better than Frazer and more ready than Jimmy. He spoke before about how he is learning and always has the playbook with him.

Weis will put the best qb in and we'll have to wait and see what the rest will do.

Guest TDJesus3

this will come into effect in the 2008 recruiting class, the current sophmores since that class will be less than 25

2008 and 2009 will both be less than 25 but with this one opening up it probably means they can take one more in 2008 it really just depends on how the staff wants to break down the open schollies and how many 5th years they keep on

however, this has no effect on the current class we are filling up, we can only take a max of 25 no matter what, and thats what they will do

I have to agree, not a huge loss at all....nothing against Wolke, he just got stuck behind a ND legend in Brady and then some super recruits, not to mention Sharpley as well. He does have some eligibility left so maybe now he can go somewhere and play some, although you gotta think the reward of a couple years of playing time vs. a ND degree and chance to play for a national championship isn't that good of a trade off....who knows tho maybe he's the next Kurt Warner! lol.

even though he never played he has practiced for two years and knows the offense better than two true freshman and a sophomore could.

Thoughts?

Actually, Wolke has played in both his freshman and sophomore season. During his freshman season Ty played him in only one game (i think Michigan) and all he did was hand off the ball. Last season, he played quite a bit in garbage time. Got to throw a few passes but not much.

When Ty played him in that game during his freshman season I did not understand why he put him in. My initial thought was negative. I thought maybe Ty thought he did not have big talent so he played him to burn a year. who knows.

Guest SirJohn

From FortWayne.com

Quarterback transfers from Notre Dame

Staff and news services

Notre Dame junior quarterback David Wolke has decided to transfer, his father Max said late Sunday night.

Wolke backed up quarterback Brady Quinn in 2005, but in April’s spring game it appeared that sophomore Evan Sharpley supplanted him.

Add the arrival of freshmen Zach Frazer and Demetrious Jones and the early commitment of top-rated quarterback recruit Jimmy Clausen and the chance for Wolke to ever start appeared dim.

“David was thinking about, it’s hard to be behind the No. 1 athlete in America and know you aren’t going to beat him out and that you aren’t going to get a chance to play,” Max Wolke said. “That’s where he was last year.”

“…David asked me, ‘Well, dad, as a coach?’ I said I wouldn’t play you, son, especially with the No. 1 quarterback coming in.”

Max, who played semi-pro football, meant that after Quinn, he’d look toward the future, which Wolke would only have one or two years of at Notre Dame with talent waiting.

The Mt. Juliet, Tenn., native doesn’t know where he’ll end up next, but Max said his son would send transcripts to some Southeastern Conference schools.

Max Wolke said Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis offered him the chance to move to tailback while remaining in the quarterback rotation, but David Wolke wasn’t interested in that.

Wolke completed 1 of 3 passes for 28 yeards last season in mop-up duty for Notre Dame, which went 9-3 under Quinn.

From South Bend Tribune

June 26. 2006 6:59AM

Wolke walking away from ND

ERIC HANSEN

Tribune Staff Writer

Three weeks ago, Notre Dame head football coach Charlie Weis suggested to Irish junior quarterback David Wolke that he might want to move to tailback.

And Wolke is moving, but not to another position. He's moving to another school.

Wolke's father, Max, confirmed Sunday that the 6-foot-2, 196-pounder from Mt. Juliet, Tenn., has obtained his release from Notre Dame with the intent to transfer.

"We haven't really had a chance to figure out what the next move is," Max Wolke said via telephone. "Illinois was the first to call, and some other schools have started to call, now that the news is getting out. We're going to throw our name out there and see what happens."

Whatever happens, David Wolke will leave with class.

The decision to transfer simply came down to having an opportunity to play. Sophomore Evan Sharpley and incoming freshmen Zach Frazer and Demetrius Jones would have begun the fall ahead of Wolke on the depth chart after the Smyrna High School product slipped from the No. 2 QB spot he held for the past two years.

"Leaving Notre Dame is going to tear him up and it's going to tear him up his whole life," Max said. "But it was going to tear him up to stay, too. It's about him being happy and playing.

"Everyone has been so good to David, especially (starting quarterback) Brady Quinn. Brady is a class act. Notre Dame is a class act. The whole coaching staff, the football players, the fans are nothing but class. It's has been a golden moment for our family to be part of the Notre Dame experience."

David Wolke becomes the 11th player to walk away from the Notre Dame experience since Weis was named head coach in December of 2004 and the eighth in former coach Tyrone Willingham's last recruiting class.

That leaves just nine members of the class of 2004 still on the roster, meaning the Irish will have a tiny senior class in 2007.

David Wolke will be eligible to be back on the field at his new school in 2007 and will have two seasons to play after sitting out this upcoming season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules.

He had hoped to redshirt as a freshman, but Willingham put him in a game against Washington that 2004 season to hand off three times in a 38-3 rout of the Huskies.

David played 22 minutes, stretched over six games, in backup duty last season. He attempted three passes, completing one for 28 yards and throwing one interception. He had one rush of 22 yards.

"He thought about that move to tailback, but David had never played that position before," Max said. "It's not an easy decision to leave, but it is his decision and he's willing to live with it."

Staff writer Eric Hansen:

ehansen@sbtinfo.com

(574) 235-6470