Jimmy Clausen hype

dangeruss

Clausen hype is just beginning

June 21, 2006

I was recently having a conversation with a buddy of mine who happens to be one of the biggest Notre Dame fans in the history of the world. This is the kind of guy who paints himself green on game day, has worn a gold helmet on non-football occasions and dresses up like a leprechaun each and every Halloween. He's basically a nut job. Think Jimmy Fallon in Fever Pitch but replace Manny and Big Papi with Brady Quinn and Jeff Samardzija. I often think of introducing this person, gold helmet, green paint and leprechaun shorts and all, to quarterback Jimmy Clausen. Why? Because these are going to be the people who expect Clausen to be the best quarterback ever.

The thought of getting the two together, which of course is never going to happen, came to me when the conversation with my buddy turned to Clausen. We both talked about his incredible potential and the massive amount of attention he'll receive as the most hyped quarterback since Ron Powlus in the fish bowl that is South Bend. His final comment was simple, yet spoke volumes of the expectations that have already been heaped on Clausen.

"He better be amazing."

Not good, not great, but amazing. Amazing is a term used with superheroes like Spider Man and sometimes with underdogs like a certain New York Mets team back in the day. It's also reserved for those players who come along once every decade or so like Reggie Bush. Jimmy Clausen hasn't started his senior year in high school and he's already been tabbed with the amazing tag by diehard Notre Dame fans. Worse yet, the words "he better be" appear before the adjective.

Now for a math problem. Take this diehard fan and multiply him by negative 20. That's what you get when you talk about the Notre Dame haters who will be gleefully cheering every incomplete pass, interception and sack when Clausen is on the field. And the media? Forget about it. There will likely be a new invention, The Clausen Cam, by the time he's a sophomore at Notre Dame. Jimmy Clausen has a problem and it's a problem he hasn't done anything to create. He's loved too much by many and hated too much by others. And he's still more than a year away from his first game.

And don't blame Rivals.com. Okay, you can blame us a little bit as we have him as the No. 1 player in the country and all, but the Clausen hype machine was already out of control before we even started covering him. That happens when your brothers are both successful D-I quarterbacks for a huge program, your quarterback coach is well known for producing college studs and a quarterback genius like Charlie Weis is making 2006 recruiting seasons with Clausen in mind for 2007.

Can Clausen ever live up to the hype? Can he be amazing as my helmet-wearing friend expects? Time will tell and I'll be blogging on this many more times, but for now I hope that Clausen takes it easy this summer and sits back and relaxes a bit. There will be more than enough for him to handle soon.

ARTICLE-CLICK HERE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gizmokt24

You've got to feel for this kid. Everything he does from here on out is going to be under the microscope. I can't imagine the type of pressure he must be feeling.

I honestly think he will be an "amazing" QB at ND. But based on the hype, if he does anything less than walk on water, there will still be those who will consider him a disappointment.

The is no "requirement" for JC to be amazing. He doesn't have to come in and put up "amazing" numbers. He just has to come in and listen to CW and do what CW says.

I admit, JC has more hype surrounding him than anyone I can remember in recent memory....maybe that Marinovich kid from USC comes close, and has a lot more room to fail than he does to exceed expectations, but JC is deserving of the hype and can meet most of the expectations. JC has everything going for him as a QB (mechanics, arm strength, accuracy) and in CW's offense, he "could" light up the score board, he "could" break all of Brady's records, he "could" break NCAA records, but he won't have to.

A lot of people worry how JC will handle his first loss, or his first INT, or his first bad game. A lot of folks worry that he will crumble under the pressure…. What people don't realize is that JC puts a lot of the pressure and expectations on himself, and the pressure and expectations are just as likely to push him to work harder and become a better QB as they are to make him crumble.

JC does have the potential to be amazing, and do amazing things, but it is not a requirement.

If this wasn’t a thread called Jimmy Clausen Hype, I would also point out that DJ and ZF also have potential to be amazing.

Guest gallup21
If this wasn’t a thread called Jimmy Clausen Hype, I would also point out that DJ and ZF also have potential to be amazing.

thanks irishguy, i think they have a shot (or quite a large shot) at beating out jc

Guest SirJohn

El Senior Chiro :) I have been with Zach and Nick since they both came aboard. Always this puts me in the peculiar position with 'pro jimmy (lower case :) ) factions of fans.' I see no reason why out of 85 guys I can't disagree. I don't like his attitude, mouth or the accompaying hype. Hype for which my favorite Coach of all time at Notre Dame is getting the heat and blame for.

I'm not a sheep to follow some kid ringing a bell. Our coach cannot speak out. Little jimmy unfortunately has. It appears to me, if he's free to speak out he, and he alone should state all that South Bend hype was his doing and not our Coach. It's a little factor most jimmy clausen fans overlook. I don't teflon coat anyone.

Back up Quarterback is up for grabs 2006. Twelve Division I games to play while jimmy's doing HS.

Coach has said more or less 2007 is up for grabs, perhaps Wolke left perhaps not. I mention Demi Jones less because of the SB Tribune "mouth" article which I did not care for. Some fans would call "mouthing" confidance. :roll: I'm a fan that does not. Demi's on the team jimmie will be I hope both settle in as TEAM.

TEAM: MY Friend and Boss Nick Ironised 8th question to an extremely talented and MATURE quarterback named Zach Frazer.

8) What do you think will be your team's biggest challenge to win a championship?

The biggest challenge I think we'll face is staying unified. Every group small or large, sports based or different at some point experiences someone that wants to be an individual. When that happens and it will, we'll have to refocus and work harder to overcome that barrier and continue to work as a unit in order to ensure success.

May I stress in here his words "and it will," you see it's already happening and that is the danger.

Once again, if CW had a problem sj, it wouldn't have happened. Plain and simple. I don't understand why people are pro-zach. pro demi or pro- jc.....they ALL are Irish, we should want them ALL to do well.....you guys are kinda crazy on this Frazer stuff!

Who ever is Quarterback in ‘07, will appear to be a let down after Brady this year. Do you ever want to follow in the shoes of a legend? If Jimmy is half as good as they say he is and starts as a freshmen, then that would be great. Weis will have the offense structured around what the QB can do and we should have a few good RB to back him up. No matter how good the QB is, if the O-line does not work well as a unit, then he will not look good. You are only as good as your weakest link, but a good O-line could help a lot of good guys look great. Let’s hope Jimmy lives up to the Hype gets us 4 NC in a row, plus the one we should win this year. Then Jimmy can have 8 rings to go along with Charlie’s 9 rings. (4 Super Bowl and 5 NC)

Sir ... great post by the way. I do really like Zach as well. The only reason his stock fell slightly last year was because all of his receivers graduated after his junior year in high school. I think that Zach will give little Jimmy a run for his money on 2007 for the starting job.

That is why you keep your cupboard stocked with great talented athletes.

Jimmy is having a problem keeping his yapper shut. But, you do have to like your future QB to have confidence in his abilities. The QB position is one that requires a littly bit of cockiness to it.

Jimmy will be a good QB just go and ask the NFL scouts that are out there. Remeber Lemming said that last year as a junior Jimmy was the #1 player in the nation.

So it will be fun to watch.

Guest VagasFerguson44

The whole idea that Frazer's stats dropped last year because of the graduation of the previous years players is a little funny to me. The change in Frazer's stats was so drastic that, if the theory is true, his high school must have started 5 freshman on OL and 4 freshman WRs. Something else was going on there in PA.

I still think Frazer wil be good, but, I am a little uneasy about his future.

I am a Jimmy fan, but that doesn't make me anti-anyone else....any kid that puts on an ND jersey is good in my book.

On a side note, I believe the intention behind the HoF thing was to attract attention (which it did) and get ND on other recruits minds (which I believe it did, though not to the extent we all hoped). JC is not an ego maniac (if he was, he would still be "testing the recruiting waters"), and was only doing what he thought would be best for ND….and from what I understand CW DID ok this.

Guest VagasFerguson44

D. Jones will be our long term QB. He WILL beat outFrazer and and "the chosen" one. JC will be chosen to sit on the bench until his senior year.

DJ has been compared to the likes of a Byron Leftwich but with speed. He might be the sleeper at the QB position.

Like I said earlier about JIMMY you want your QB to be a little cocky and have confidence in his abilities to win and take HIS team to the next level!!

I as a HUGE ND FOOTBALL FAN I want my QB to bring us National Championships!!!!

AND JIMMY WANTS 4 OF THOSE

Whoever's the best should be under center........not whoever so and so thinks has the most humble attitude, the cleanest hair, or the most conservative comments. I think SJ is really doing the board a disservice if recruits see this kind of BS mentality displayed on a regular basis, our recruits should be brought in w/ open arms (especially when they're considered the Lebron of football) and not judged.....JC has an attitude (didn't hear him thank Christ?) Demi's an angry black man (ever been black and played a position that is typically played by white men?) but Zach's mature? Makes no sense whatsoever....we want the best athletes as long as the look, act and talk like us. Remember Rocket's sideline raps SJ? YOu must have really liked that!