OL Emeka Nwanko gets ND Offer per II

Guest BGIF

Notre Dame made a recruiting impression in South Florida last year on more than Sam Young and Dan Wenger, the pair of offensive linemen from St. Thomas Aquinas that ultimately signed with the Irish. When Charlie Weis headed to the Sunshine State he also caught the eye of Emeka Nwankwo, and now the Hollywood, Fla., standout is giving Notre Dame a serious look.

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound offensive guard said he spoke with Weis on June 12 with the Notre Dame head coach telling Nwankwo that he wanted to offer a scholarship. When Nwankwo returned home later that day, the Irish offer was in his mailbox.

"Everything has gone like I thought it would, but the offer from Notre Dame came as a surprise," Nwankwo said. "I didn't think Notre Dame was that interested in me."

Nwankwo said he's been in constant contact with the Irish coaching staff ever since, trading text messages with assistant Bernie Parmalee. With offers from Florida, Florida State, Virginia, Auburn and Georgia, Notre Dame will have top-flight competition for Nwankwo, but the recent offer has put the Irish in a favorable position.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

looks like we are back to five lineman, this kid is another guard to go with Wilson

just imagine Miller, Ziemba, Romine, Wilson, and Nwankwo

now that is scary

Guest DCIrish

Great first step. Very nice quickness. He is a bit undersized right now, but will really grow into a nice player. Reminds me of Ryan Harris. Harris was not very big at all when he arrived on campus. But you cannot teach athelticism and this kid has it... VERY good OG prospect.

Question. Is this a battle between Sherrod and him for the second OG? Seems like our primary target is Wilson at OG, with Sherrod and this new offer for the second slot.

Great first step. Very nice quickness. He is a bit undersized right now, but will really grow into a nice player. Reminds me of Ryan Harris.

yeah i thought he had good quickness and a good first step off the line, i also like the way he pulls. yeah harris only weighed like 265 lbs. when he first started against pitt.

he is listed at 6'3" 285 and only a junior, so 17 years old? Ryan in 6' 5" and listed at 288. So they weigh the same and the kid is giving up a couple of inches but probably still growing. Thought he showed very good speed, it was sort of funny to see him way up field and near the running backs getting tackled, he is running pretty quick to even be near. I want him!

Go Irish!!

Guest DCIrish

Yep. It works well to say, "listen I played 5 years in the league..."

I've heard that Ken Norton, Jr. does a good job at USCK. It works to have a younger coach the recruits can relate to better...

If I were ND's staff, I would get Maurice Crum, Sr. to recruit for us. He was on the '90 team that ND beat when Mirer QB'd, etc. Great player. I've always wondered why he did not send his kid to Miami. I would suspect that once he got a bit older, Maurice, Sr. saw Miami through his younger eyes (the "convicts" :) ) and compared it to ND. The proverbial 4 year investment vs. the 40 year investment...

Guest DCIrish

Broke, do you know if Nwankwo has visited Virginia yet? If so, I feel pretty good about our chances with him. I.e. he is listing us as a co-leader even without a visit. I bet once he takes it, he will he ours to lose IMO.

Imagine he and Wilson at guards. I cannot remember ever having that type of athleticism at the OG spots. As I said earlier, Wilson could be the next Aaron Taylor with that type of athleticism. If you notice, both really do a great job of getting to the next level. (smacking the DL in the face then sliding off to pick up a LB)...