Trattou is IRISH

Guest gallup21

Guest gallup21

sorry if this was mentioned in another post, but i just saw this posted at II, not to say this wasnt expected but its good to have it under our belt

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dudes i just got from being in our Feista Five Flags Parade.I was hoping to hear what i just read.Im really getting pumped up on recruiting now.Its nice to see us get some Big DEF of guys now.Welcome aboard Justin. :lol:

A A A A A

Trattou talks about his decision

By: Jeff Baumhower

Date: Jun 2, 2006

Justin Trattou became the seventh commitment for the 2007 Notre Dame recruiting class. The standout defensive lineman is one major piece of the puzzle that will help bolster the Irish defense in years to come.

Justin Trattou made a trip to Notre Dame in January for a junior day and then returned in April for the spring game. After his second trip he realized that Notre Dame is where he wanted to spend his college football career.

After I went to the spring game I knew it was a special place. I made my decision within the past couple weeks and I kept it quiet until today, and I think it will be a great fit. It’s an honor to get an offer from a school like Notre Dame, and they’ve always been on top of my mind.

I think with the next couple recruiting classes that we’ll be competing for a national championship. I definitely want to play on a team with a bunch of good guys and I know over the years that I’m there that we’ll be a very competitive team.

June 3, 2006

Trattou Selects ND

by JASON SAPP

Recruiting Analyst

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Version | Discuss this article

The announcement from defensive end Justin Trattou may not have had the drama as other’s top prospects, yet it was still refreshing to hear the Irish add another defensive player to the 2007 group.

While linebacker Steve Paskorz committed on the spot last week following an offer, Trattou needed a bit more time in deciding if Notre Dame was the right choice.

“After the spring game I knew there was something special about Notre Dame, but I wanted to evaluate all of the schools that were recruiting me,” said Trattou on Friday evening following the press conference. “In the end, Notre Dame was definitely the right place. I liked the overall atmosphere, the coaches, and that I have an opportunity to get on the field early.”

Many saw Penn State as Notre Dame’s main competition for Trattou, but his list worked out slightly different than expected.

“The list came down to Notre Dame, Ohio State, Boston College, Penn State, Michigan, and Florida, in that order,” said Trattou.

When was his decision made to attend ND?

“Honestly, I’ve known for a few weeks now,” admitted Trattou. “I just wanted to find the right place and time to announce it. Everything worked out really well today and that was my first time on television like that, so I definitely enjoyed it.”

Trattou will have plenty more opportunities to be on television, after pledging his commitment to wearing the gold helmet that comes along with a NBC television contract. Until then, he has a couple things to take care of before arriving on campus.

“With this taken care of now, my main focus is getting back in the weight room and training hard,” he said. “I’m about 250 pounds right now and want to gain muscle while keeping my speed. The coaches told me that I’m good coming off of the edge, so I want to work to get even better at it.”

Trattou may experience a position change upon his arrival to ND, but either way, it doesn’t matter what position he is asked to play as long as he gets on the field.

“We’ve only discussed my current position, but I could care less really,” noted Trattou. “As long as I’m on the field, that’s all I have to be concerned about.”

It’s rather relieving to hear a player that is willing to do whatever it takes to get on the gridiron, and isn’t caught up in what position they will be doing so. At least in Coach Weis’ system, these players know that their talent will be utilized to the fullest on the field.

Trattou is the seventh prospect for 2007 and third player from the state of New Jersey.

Guest JerseyDomer

You gotta love the things that he says. Love the last paragraph! Every undecided recruit in the country should read that and then realize where the right place to play college football is, South Bend Indiana.

Don Bosco defensive end Trattou picks Notre Dame

Saturday, June 03, 2006

BY MIKE HELFGOT

For the Star-Ledger

Charlie Weis' first off-season as Notre Dame's head coach has gone even better than the surprising 9-3 season the Fighting Irish had under Weis last fall.

For the third time this spring, Weis received an early commitment from a blue-chip recruit from New Jersey's class of 2007 yesterday when Don Bosco Prep junior defensive end Justin Trattou of Franklin Lakes announced his decision live on ESPNU yesterday.

Advertisement

The 6-3, 250-pound Trattou, a Second Team All-State selection last fall, already had more than 20 scholarship offers in the early stages of the recruiting process and will likely be the top-ranked defensive lineman in the state next season. His commitment follows those of Hoboken receiver Duval Kamara and Camden Catholic tight end Mike Ragone earlier this spring.

Weis, who is from Trenton and began his coaching career at Morristown High, has also received a commitment from Jimmy Clausen, the record-setting California quarterback who has been featured in Sports Illustrated.

"I don't think it's the Jersey ties, I think he's able to maximize all that Notre Dame has to offer," said Greg Toal, coach at the Ramsey school. "I think Charlie Weis made them understand that the days of living off being Notre Dame are over and they have to work their butts off. And they realized they had to open up their purse strings. They're paying $2 million to Weis and paying more to assistants, and that is allowing them to attract better assistants and better recruiters. Those guys are real good and they work real hard."

The same could be said of Trattou. He was all but unblockable as a junior, and he proved to be every bit as good against the run as he is rushing the passer. Though he was usually done by halftime because Don Bosco (11-1) had so many lopsided victories, Trattou registered 95 tackles in addition to 10 1/2 sacks, and Toal said the quickness of his hands and feet are even more impressive than his 4.7 speed in the 40, which is fast for a player his size.

Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and Florida were some of the other schools to offer and he visited Miami and Penn State in addition to Notre Dame before making his commitment, which is non-binding and will not become official until he signs a national letter of intent in February.

"After receiving all the offers I wanted, I narrowed it down based on what was the best fit for me," Trattou, an A student, said. "I didn't want to drag it out because I knew in my heart what school I wanted and I wanted to get back to work and get ready for my senior season of high school."

Guest JerseyDomer

Broker ya hit the nail on the head with that one. It's relieving to see him do what he said he was gonna do, best part is, he is JUST beginning.

It's GREAT to be a Notre Dame fan!