Sad News

Rockne3d

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news but Kathy Mazurkiewicz passed away yesterday. She is the mother of Montana. The "pass right" little boy who passed away this past year. Kathy had cancer. She has another son, Rockne. Poor little guy loses his brother and mother within about 7 months of each other.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gallup21

guys, is there a way anyone knows that i can contact the family? my friends have agreed to help me with a fundraiser so if anyone knows that would help. thanks

Guest gallup21

guys, i need your help-does anyone know of a small thing that i could custom make to say "pass right" thats really cheap with an order of around 200? (not trying to be cheap, just dont have much money)

thanks

I would purchase at least 10 of those little bracelets... I have been wearing my gold Hannah & Friends bracelet since last year and a new one would be great! How about a Blue and Gold one? They do make those combination colored ones.

Pass Right" Montana's Mom dies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Edit Post ] [ Profile ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Follow Up ] [ Message Board Index ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Dutch on May 25, 2006 at 10:01:28

POST EDITED AT: Thu May 25 10:29:00 2006

I told those involved that I would post the following here.

Kathy Mazurkiewicz, mother of Montana (Pass Right) passed away yesterday. She died of cancer after a long and brave battle. Her determination added 6 months to her life as doctors told her last year she wouldn't live past November. Many still don't know that when the "pass right" story broke, Kathy was terminal and would not let that information be public as she didn't want to diminish the story of Montana. Montana's brother Rockne survives along with an extended family. We have been selling Pass Right T-shirts and have raised and presented thousands of dollars to help the Mazurkiewicz family. T-shirt orders are now, understandably only a trickle, but there are shirts left. They are available at http://www.wakeuptheechoes.com/ . Very soon, however, I will be sending the rest of the shirts to the Mazurkiewicz family in South Bend and they will no longer be available. The shirts are long paid for and each shirt sale results in over $14 for the family (really to support Rockne now). The only part of the $ not going directly for the cause is shipping and Paypal costs. I bought two shirts and wear one. I have kept the other pristine to remind me of Montana, Kathy and of the whole Notre Dame community that stepped up when help was needed (not just buying shirts but in many other ways as well). I also want to make perfectly clear that the Pass Right t-shirt was not my doing. A half dozen or so other guys on this board made it happen. They know who they are and can take solace in the fact that what they did, although largely anonymous, was profound and effective. If you want Pass Right shirts, please order soon.

Hey Broke I know you posted what happen but, found this on another site and yes its a very sad story.But I thought i would let everyone read and see if they wanted to get some shirts thats say pass right.The money goes toward the family also.Can't believe that happen.I lost my mother to cancer in 2004.I couldn't even feel how Rockne is feeling right now.Unreal!!! :(

Guest gallup21

Gwood, just visited the site, good find,-TD, ive decided im going to make Pass Right bookmarks (theres a print shop nearby so that shouldnt be to hard) and sell them at my school and then give the money to the family, does anyone know a way i could contact them?

Guest gallup21

May 26. 2006 6:59AM

'She loved her kids so much'

After losing son and ND fan Montana, 10, to a brain tumor, Cathy Mazurkiewicz dies of skin cancer.

ERIC HANSEN

Tribune Staff Writer

She suffered in silence, instead smiling through the pain last fall to help tell the story of a football coach who refused to break his promise to a dying 10-year-old boy.

Her boy. Her inspiration.

On Wednesday, almost eight months to the day that an inoperable brain tumor claimed the life of inspiring Notre Dame fan and youngest son Montana Mazurkiewicz, cancer claimed the life of Cathy Mazurkiewicz as well.

The former Mishawaka resident was 46 years old.

"She was a very giving, loving person," said Cathy's sister-in-law, Chris Mazurkiewicz of Mishawaka. "She had six kids, and Montana was the youngest, and she loved her kids so much. She was all for her kids."

"In the final months, she was in so much pain and you would never know it, because she never complained. She had melanoma, skin cancer. She was dealing with that for four years. But she was always focused on Montana's battle, making sure she stayed strong for him. But when he died, she kind of gave up, and how could you blame her? Yet through Montana, she changed a lot of lives."

The courage of Montana inspired the Notre Dame football team and moved a nation. His story came to light after Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis visited the Hums Elementary School student as the Irish were preparing for a Sept. 24th road game at Washington.

Weis agreed to let Montana call the first Irish offensive play of the game. He died the day before the game, but Weis ran the play -- "Pass Right" -- anyway, despite the fact Notre Dame started the drive from its own 1-yard line.

ND quarterback Brady Quinn connected with tight end Anthony Fasano on a 13-yard gain on the play in what turned out to be a 36-17 Irish victory over former ND coach Tyrone Willingham and his Washington Huskies.

"I had told the team briefly about Montana on Wednesday (before the game)," Weis said the day after the game, "because it was kind of a compelling visit. I told them how important Notre Dame is to a lot of people."

And Montana's memory, in turn, became important to a lot of people. Cathy moved to California less than a month after Montana's death to be closer to her parents and her oldest daughter, Katrin Seymour, but the story and its message lived on.

Three Notre Dame students -- Brian Veith, Scott Coyle and Pat Argentieri -- decided to sell "Pass Right" bracelets to help benefit the family. They ended up selling out and donating roughly $12,000 to the cause.

"It's sounds cliché, but you take something away from everything you do in life," said Veith, a senior-to-be from Cincinnati. "This is one of those things I'll never forget. We knew the type of people who associate themselves with Notre Dame would help out, but they even went beyond what any of us could have imagined to make a difference."

Guest gallup21

i got as far as finding rockne is living now in CO, with Shannon and Mike Bacon, just cant find out where they live though, need contact

Hey guys just going out there on a limb here.Lets start a DD foundation towards cancer patients.Or something that will help some people in need.

Gallup if you get those bookmarks made up i will sign up for some man. :lol:

Its just my thoughts after losing someone to cancer I'm willing to get involved.

SirJohn its nice to see you back man. :lol: :lol: :lol: