Is Notre Dame being overrated by the preseason pubs?

GwoodND

Tuesday Question

Is Notre Dame being overrated by the preseason pubs?

Pete Fiutak

Q: Several preseason publications are ranking Notre Dame in the top three with a number one spot from The Sporting News, is it justified?

A: I love those nutty kids over there at TSN, and they do crank out the only annual I'd spend my not-that-hard earned dough on (even though they send me free copies), but they always get a bit wacky when it comes to picking a preseason number one. Taking Notre Dame sells magazines. This year, picking the Irish number one isn't that crazy. It's wrong, but it's not that crazy considering the field is totally wide open.

While I absolutely and totally believe Notre Dame is on the verge of being USC-like under Chaz Weis, it isn't there yet. I'm still not sold that Jeff Samardjiza is really that good. I'm still not sold on the Irish defensive back seven and the all-around speed. I'm not a believer that the offense can keep on humming if Brady Quinn and/or Darius Walker goes down. Is this one of the top ten teams in the country? Fine. Top five? Number one? Nyuh-uh.

It depends on how you do preseason rankings. If you're dong them based on how good the teams are going into the season, then I'd take (in any order you want to put them in) USC, Oklahoma, Miami, Auburn, Cal, Clemson, Texas, LSU, Ohio State, Florida, and Florida State over the Irish without hesitation. Am I saying Notre Dame would lose to all of them? Absolutely not, but I am saying those teams are more talented and more complete at the moment. I wouldn't argue if you wanted to add Georgia, Louisville, West Virginia, Iowa, Arizona State, Nebraska, and Georgia Tech to my list.

If you want to do the rankings based on how you think the teams will end up, then no way can you reasonably put Notre Dame number one unless you believe 11-1 gets an invite to the BCS Championship game. Georgia Tech is really good; the Irish could easily lose the road opener in Atlanta. Everyone appears to be blowing off games against Michigan and Penn State like they were against Idaho and Florida Atlantic. The Irish always have problems against Michigan State, and now Drew Stanton and the boys are even better and the game is in East Lansing. Purdue is better, Stanford is better, and UCLA and North Carolina are good enough to come up with an upset. Even if the Irish somehow get through the front 11 unscathed, there's still that little matter of playing USC at USC to finish things off. Sorry, but this Notre Dame team isn't going through unscathed.

Have a TQ? E-mail us with your ideas.

2006 Questions

- If Reggie Bush is guilty, should USC forfeit wins?

- Best and worst college uniforms

- In hindsight, did Matt Leinart make the right decision?

- Do you take Leinart, Young or Cutler?

- You can take any coaching job, which would you take?

- Top five early Heisman candidates

- Could a football team pull off a George Mason?

- What team would you most like to have played for?

- Give 3 non-conference games that must happen

- Should there be a standard code of conduct?

- What to look for out of spring ball

- What should change about college officiating?

- What would you change about the recruiting process?

- What to look for on recruiting signing day

- What from the pro game would help college

- The ridiculously early top three

- Was the Rose Bowl the best game ever?

Past Questions

- Tuesday Questions of 2005

- Tuesday Questions of 2004

- Tuesday Questions of 2003

- Tuesday Questions of 2002

- Tuesday Questions of 2001

Richard Cirminiello

Q: Several preseason publications are ranking Notre Dame in the top three with a number one spot from The Sporting News, is it justified?

A: Being Notre Dame is sort of like being Tom Hanks or the New York Yankees. Whether fans like it not, they’re always going to get the benefit of the doubt and a little extra boost in the pub department just because of who they are and where they’ve been. It’s not entirely fair, but get used to it because it isn’t changing anytime soon.

No doubt, the Irish have shortcomings in 2006, particularly on a defense that sprung leaks in 2005 and will count more on rookies than Charlie Weis would like, but who isn’t seriously flawed for the upcoming seaqson? This is the year of the question mark. Every team has massive ones, highlighted by last year’s top 3 teams forced to replace Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Michael Robinson with a trio that’s tossed 56 career passes between them. Notre Dame has no such problem at the most important position on the field. They’ll offset the expected defensive issues with Heisman favorite Brady Quinn and a supporting cast that includes WR Jeff Samardzija and RB Darius Walker. The schedule’s no pleasure cruise, but it’s also not nearly as daunting as many would think. Seven games are at home, two of the road games are against Academies and Michigan and USC are as vulnerable as they’ve been in a few years. Notre Dame won’t be my pre-season No. 1 choice and will probably sit somewhere outside No. 3, however, they’re legit Top 10 timber. And in a title chase that’s going to be wide open, a lofty ranking at this stage is neither unjustified nor just a byproduct of Irish hype.

John Harris

A: COMING

Matthew Zemek

A: It's certainly justified.

Charlie Weis came very close to beating USC in year one, and now Brady Quinn returns as an even better quarterback. Sure, there are issues on defense, but every team has a few issues. Before the season, it's an open question as to who will make the title game, so within reason, any of 10 selections are justified. Notre Dame would be one of those 10 (or so) selections.

Guest irishrick

i think that the irish are overrated they should be reted in the top ten, this is a good team but has a lot of new guys and a untested defense, we will do okey this year 10-2 will be a good season , anything better will involved the fiesta , and maybe a shpot at the nc game.

Guest bfabes05

I have said it before and Ill say it again, ND is a legit top 5 team and they have the coach and the team to go undefeated, its just a matter of showing up every game and executing Coach Weis' gameplan. The defense WILL BE BETTER, this was a new system for them too last year, Ambrose Wooden, Victor Abiamiri, Derrek Landri, and Tom playmaker Zbikowski are all in the top 7 at their respective position on draft boards...they have decent talent and they dont have to be in the best in the nation, just respectable with our great offense.

Last year it was more confusion then speed in my opinion...when you stand there for a second thinking its a run or an out route plus add in Troy Smith GETTING FOREVER to throw the ball, then yes your going to get torched. Hopefully those problems will be fixed this year and I think they will, I believe Lambert who runs a 4.4 or 4.5 40 by the way, will replace Richardson on the other side. I also believe some of the younger guys will be able to step up and get some playing time on defense as well...Darrin Walls, Rashon McKneil, and Toryan Smith.

The Irish offense will be unstopable, Jeff Samardzija, Brady Quinn, and Darius Walker are that good, and I wouldnt have any other coach on the sidelines in South Bend, period.

Guest littlefabes09

i do not seeing them losing more than 1 game maybe 2 but they are a top 5 team either way.......there isnt a top team yet but Notre Dame could be the top team after this year.......and the defence is going to be better with all d-backs back and the defensive line.......They r going to be great on both sides of the ball and will finsh....11-1 or maybe undefeated...

How is he not sold on Samardzija? did he not see some of the catches he made? E.I. Purdue one hander, Pitt diving TD? the stats don't lie.

And on top of that... I kinda like his cockiness. It is an attitude that hasn't been there before. I love watching the Standford clip where he gives that "come get me" motion right before the end-zone. I know a lot of you might disagree with this but he has the talent to back it up.

Notre Dame is the only top team to return the most of thier key players.

Good point. I can buy into this more than I can anything else.

The D will only be better if RM learns to call plays that will put "any" pressure on the oposing QB.

Guest bluester2000

All I know is that ND shouldn't be number 1. OSU is returning most of their productive offense and there defense is always the strength of their team. On top of that the last game either of us played showed they were better.

If you are going to use last year's finish as an example then...

Texas is 1 and USC is 2

OSU lost pretty much their entire D. OSU lost their best receiver and O-Lineman.

No doubt IrishGuy I agree with ya. :lol:

Guest irishrick

we will be in the top 10 but right now looks like were just behind auburn,,Ohio state,lsuclemson miami, notre dame, west virg. after the first week and georgia tewch plays them tough in Atlanta, the irish might move up, but i don't feel that there number one at this point, zibby and the defense has got to put it on the field, also Mich state will be ready at home 10 2 would be a good year, the irish lost the last two games i don't see them in the preseason top 5, got to worry about lsu and auburn, this will all change after the GA tech game mark may will have a field day, even is we win by a point. go irish. :)

Guest littlefabes09

i was actually talking to an OSU fan :roll: very strange but all he kept saying is there defense will not be hurt because they have reserves???? im not to high in looking up players for there defense but do they have enough of these "reserves" to back up one of the most powerful defences in the country last year??

How is he not sold on Samardzija? did he not see some of the catches he made? E.I. Purdue one hander, Pitt diving TD? the stats don't lie.

And on top of that... I kinda like his cockiness. It is an attitude that hasn't been there before. I love watching the Standford clip where he gives that "come get me" motion right before the end-zone. I know a lot of you might disagree with this but he has the talent to back it up.

I also love that from him. The Stanford one was great. Along with the TD catch against USC when he got into the camera and pointed at the ND logo. He's a great player with a good attitude as long as his celebrations don't get out of control. Right now he amazing.

OSU fans are convinced that they can put any player in their defensive system and the results will be the same. OSU fans expect their D to be nearly as good as they were last year....

They do have quality defensive players on their roster, but almost no experience. I have never seen a team lose as many players as they did and not miss a beat. I expect OSU to be a tough team by the end of the year....but Texas is early in the season for them (second game?) and I expect them to lose that one.

I am about as die hard as they come for my beloved Irish! But, lets get serious here! I think that we should be very please with anytine better than a 2 loss season!!! I DO hope they go undefeated but, we are still rebuilding like it or not. We will be having our fair share of undefeated seasons and National Championships in due time with Master Chuck at the helm. So lets be patient and let the flood gate of recuits contiue to stay open!!!!

Guest SirJohn

I agree el senior. I realize all are chomping at the bit and want that starting gate to open. I personally count no 'gimmies' and approach Georgia Tech warily.

Guest BGIF
... I personally count no 'gimmies' and approach Georgia Tech warily.

Zibby agrees!

From the Denver Post article:

AC: Is Notre Dame looking at the national championship this year?

TZ: A lot of people are putting us up there, but we set the bar pretty high last year. The entire team wants to attain the national championship. But the most important game is (the season opener) against Georgia Tech. If we don't get that one, we got nothin'.