Something for Ryan Miller to think about.

GwoodND

Colorado might have created its own recruiting roadblock

May 23, 2006

There could be some bad karma brewing in Boulder, and Gary Barnett has nothing to do with it. Barnett did a lot in his tenure at Colorado, but the program handed over to new head coach Dan Hawkins is a used 1982 Plymouth Reliant rather than the sleek, speedy Mustang it's supposed to be. Hawkins has a tough job ahead of him. Spring practice was a good first step, but his latest move won't help things off the field.

Colorado fans will certainly remember Lee Rouson, who was a standout for the Buffs in the early 1980s and played in the NFL with the Giants. Rouson's son, running back Jaslee, committed and signed a letter of intent this past February to play for his dad's alma mater. However, it appears Hawkins and company changed their mind and have left Rouson dangling in the wind.

Rouson, a 5 -10, 220-pound ball of muscle who likely will play fullback when he finds a new school, committed to Colorado just days after Hawkins was hired. But make no mistake about it, Gary Barnett and his staff were the ones who offered Rouson. And it's not politically correct for a new coach to come in and start yanking offers. However, telling a kid in early May that the school isn't going to honor his scholarship offer might be even worse. That's the situation with Rouson.

I spoke to Rouson shortly after he got the bad news. While Rouson wouldn't comment on what happened, good sources at the event said that CU rejected his admission because of academics. Bull.

According to Rouson, he scored over 1,000 on the SAT and easily qualified despite a GPA in the low 2.0 range. He's smart and articulate, and there's little doubt Colorado has allowed others with worse transcripts to enroll. But even if you give CU the benefit of the doubt and believe they're raising their enrollment standards for football players, did they have to do it with a legacy? Maybe they felt they did, but it just doesn't seem fair to a kid who has always listed Colorado as his dream school.

If it wasn't academics, then it was simply a numbers situation, with Hawkins wanting to bank some scholarships for next year as he tries to rebuild the program in his image, with his kind of personnel. That's his right as the head coach, and academics always are an excellent fallback. But it's a good thing Colorado doesn't recruit the state of New Jersey very much -- there are plenty of folks in the Garden State who think this was an unfair decision.

So it's back to the drawing board for Rouson, who could end up at Temple or someplace else in the MAC. And for Colorado, the beat goes on as yet another potential recruiting roadblock arises. What would be interesting is if a Big 12 team such as Iowa State or Kansas gave Rouson the shot he thought he was going to get at CU.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluester2000

The schollie was pulled from a player the head coach didn't want. Personally, the kid sounds pretty solid and to a certain extent there's an expectation that the incoming coach needs to live up to the commitments of the previous coach.

Nobody walks into the oval office saying "Excellent, clean slate, let's get going." Presidents inherit deficits, recessions, wars, etc that they have to live with. Why does this football coach think he's above it?

There's no reason they'd pull Miller's schollie in the same way, but it does expose their coaching staff as being so worried about their situation they're willing to make a really dumb PR move to save ONE scholarship.

Guest johnchampion

Honestly, this has zero to do with Miller and I don't think he's going to look at this and be swayed one way or the other.

I seriously doubt his scholarship offer from Hawkins isn't going anywhere.

From what I know of Hawkins, who is quite the taskmaster, I have to believe there is more to this. Incidently, is this from an article or site? Who wrote this?

Guest johnchampion

Gary Barnett vs. Dan Hawkins in an ethics cage match.

Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight. Hawkins wins that one easy.

I question Barnett's ethics for recruiting a 5-10 fullback.

John, all that is being said is that this is an ethics thing (as guy said) and it possibly shows that the lack of ethics at Colorado has not gone away. No one is saying that this is a direct correlation to Miller, nor is anyone saying that Hawkins is just as bad as Barnett. You're putting waaaaay too much into this.

Guest johnchampion

He took away the scholarship of an undersized legacy fullback. I think too much is being made of that.

Pete Carroll is unethical. Dennis Erickson is unethical. Jackie Sherrill? Bingo.

I feel bad for the kid and the timing sucks, but the guy has been hired to do a job. He might be a total dud that Barnett brought in because of who his dad is. And it could be because Barnett is a total scumbag jerk, too.

Personally, I'd like to find out more about this story. I'm sure it goes deeper.

Where did you find this, Gwood?

Guest bluester2000

JohnChamp,

Why wait till May to rescind the offer? Basically this is the equivalent to a big F-U in the direction of Barnett and the kid. The kid now basically has to go to a JC and work his ass off to even have a chance some where else.

Guest johnchampion

I agree on the timing. But whoever wrote this seems to think it is a big deal.

I still think something else is going on with this. What is the univerisity's stance on this? The athletic department?

That program is a total mess. Not as bad as Washington, but bad.

I feel bad for the guy, but screw Barnett. Karma caught up to him real fast. Ask the folks over at Northwestern how they feel about ethics.

Guest johnchampion
Ty recruited Duerson's kid right? What's a schollie between friends. Then the kid bolted or whatever.

And he had zero business at Notre Dame.

The kid was a Big Ten walk on, MAC schollie player coming out of high school at best.

I believe he left the team but not school? I recall thinking as soon as Weis was hired that he would be one of the first ones gone. Freddie Parrish was the other.

Guest Bluesig

I believe he left the team but not school? I recall thinking as soon as Weis was hired that he would be one of the first ones gone. Freddie Parrish was the other.

Tregg transferred to Hampton University.

I understand where Wood is coming from. He is just saying that this guy has no remorse and seems willing to just up and drop a recruit ie: he doesnt care about the kids all that much. I doubt this has any influence on Miller. Lets hope he realizes how much of an upgrade in coaching and players Notre Dame is compared to Colorado and that is why he chooses Notre Dame! I hope we get Miller but I wouldnt be upset if we didnt. We tore it up last year in recruiting on the o-line and we will be set for a long time there!