Fairly New Buzz on Benn

Guest IrishCupaJoe

Guest DCIrish

Ok TD. I will stop worrying if you can give me some sources? You do not have to name anyone, just give me something.

You were right on the money with Clausen and Kamara, but I'm much more worried about Benn...

Guest TDJesus3

ok lets try this, look at it this way, he loves JC, he loves Weis, he has been our top WR prospect now for the last two years, weeks ago everyone thought he would be next, and now people are worried right? Why? We know hes going to go with a big time QB, u think JC and Weis would let him get away? No! he is there guy, i think he sees how austin is getting all the love and saying wait i was the man not to long ago and now otehr guys are taking the spotlight so hes just saying he is open to get some love, its only a matter of time. Who if not ND would be his leader? exactly if its not us there isnt one, because ND is his leader. Look this is what these kids do, they keep people guessing, this is not something to worry about. Look at little, it was oh hes Irish, then it was oh no way he doesnt want to be in these guys shadow, and now it looks good for him and us, have things changed? No, the stories just change so the sites can keep ur attention, Little is not a done deal, and im not sold on him being Irish yet, but Benn will be and things have not changed. Sorry i can't name a source on this for you DC, but i feel as confident about Benn as i do about Trattou and Williams, and as i did about JC and Duval

i have no sources (or juice)... i know little about recruiting... all i know is what i read and see.

That said, i don't feel Benn's current leanings are as strong as Trattou or Williams based solely on what he has said recently.

Neither Williams nor Trattou have been spreading love around to the other schools equally, that I can recall. Every article I've read about Williams has a paragraph on his growing up Irish, respecting ND...etc..., and may be a sentence mentioning all the other schools. Same with Trattou... where a NJ connection / Giants / UND respect is mentioned first and foremost. Of course, my source material may be somewhat biased to ND.

I did not feel that way a month ago though, I thought Benn was a strong Irish lean because of statements related to JC and the Weis offense... and his desire to be prepared for the next level.

Unfortunately, I've been getting more neutral vibes from him since his visit to the B&G game and his visit to campus (was it his first?). I would have figured that if he was a strong lean.. and he saw the campus, and he loved campus... he'd be a solid lock, and we wouldn't be reading so many "I love everyone, no one's out of the picture" articles lately.

I also wonder how much a lock he is because of recent offers/interest to other WRs like J. Hemmingway, J. Smith, J. McKnight, T. Logan(?). If Benn was a lock, and we're only looking for one more receiver, then we'd have 4 (depending on who you consider to be a true WR prospect) to 6 offers out to fill the last spot... that seems like an awfully high ratio of offer to fill. I would have thought that Coach Weis could be more selective on WR given his record and the breakout years of Shark (so much easier to spell) & Stovall.

Anyway, I think Benn is the complete receiver, a la T.O., and would fit well in the ND Offensive scheme. I just hope he also feels he'd be a good fit for the non-footbal aspect of ND and its student body as well.... because we're not just a football school... a la FSU, Miami & USC.

I don't understand how Illinois got on his list... I would have figured S. Carolina would have suited him more for passing.

Guest TDJesus3

Here's what rivals says on their master list about Benn

They have the momentum going up and they say

Top receiver on the board, Benn's already visited twice. Irish in good standing.

Notre Dame's four-receiver haul was considered one of last year's strong points, but the Irish have a chance to take a major step forward in 2007. Duval Kamara is already on board with the Irish also in strong position with Arrelious Benn and Greg Little. If the Irish land those two prospects it would likely wrap up the position unless a burner in the mold of Deonte Thompson wanted to come on board. That kind of speed would be difficult to turn away.

http://notredame.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=545109

Thanks TD! I didn't have access to that information, so what you've shared is refreshing, and consistent with the conventional wisdom prior to B&G.

I have a question though... if one of the more recent WR offers accepted a scholarship, would Coach still hold one open for Benn for him to decide later, a la G. McCoy... or would it be a first-come, first-served situation a la M. Mustain.

Is Benn the gamebreaking, NC-required talent to take us over the top that's worth waiting on? He is top on NDs board.

how many times do td and i have to tell you guys he is irish. you guys worry too much.nothing has changed from three months ago. he wants to play with a good quarterback"we have three" he wants to go to a program with a dynamic offense "cough us" and he love weis. so what if this kid wants to take five free vactions, i would too why not. he wants to enjoy the ride. in the end he will be running out of that tunnel with a shiny gold helmet.

4evR & TD ... I'm a walk-on... I don't understand the playbook yet :oops:

So, I've renewed my faith... :D

As for the 5 free vacations... I've been recruited (not for football or sports in general), and I found the trips kind of 'bleah'... itineraries, interviews, tours... pushed into a short weekend.

Of course, maybe the recruiting tours weren't all that for me because I wasn't recruited for football, nor to FSU, Miami & USC, and I missed the meet the babes part. 8)

So, it begs the question... why Illinois? Not that illinois doesn't have babes... but it's not exactly FSU nor a dominant football program.

Oh well.

I don't know about you guys, but I would love to get all three of the pre-evaluation 5 stars we're looking at in Benn, Little, Thompson. Add that to the after evaluation 5 star Kamara and we could run 4 SR sets all game long and get enough runs in there for our RBs to get their stats too. That would be excellent. :D

Guest TDJesus3

my bet the writers have an agenda, look at the dots after he talks about USC and ND stuff was taken out, but then Illinois gets put in, which makes me think he was specifically asked about Illinois a couple of times. Hes not going to Illinois, he won't even trip to Illinois, we see this with writers all the time

really guys stop worrying about every little school that gets named, sometimes the coach just called them or just visited, sometimes the writer asks about a school and makes them sound a like a favorite, its not really that hard to do

Have we under Weis lost a kid to Illinois? Has Illinois under zook even got a visit from a top player at any position (and yes Benn is the top WR in the country, don't give me thompson, its not even close)? There is no way he goes to Illinois, ive said it before and ill say it again he's Irish, everyone please relax

Guest Irish4life

I had a dream yesterday.... i went on a website called Irisheyes and i checked the commit list...Benn was there...for the Irish.

that is so funny because i had a dream that he was at the georgia tech game. i was telling him that he really needed to come to the Penn State game. i remember in the dream that i didnt want to pressure him in to anything, i told him that i respected his desion whatever it was. irish 4 life i think we need couseling. i remeber when i used to have slightly different dreams than this one.