Harrison Smith

Rockne3d

Per Rivals, we offered him late in April. We are recruiting him as an outside linebacker or safety. It just depends how he develops. He said that Notre Dame is "pretty high up". He has visited SB before and plans to visit again this summer. 3 of his HS classmates will attend ND this fall.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

yea i saw that this morning and listed him, i guess hes just a freak athlete, i think he would be a good get only problem i have is would you rather have him than dailey or pasorkz because likely we only take 1 out of that group if we take wilson and a mlb, along with nagel, im just not sure which of them i would want most, i like dailey but this smith kid can play and got an offer before dailey so the coaches must like him

That's a tough decision. I'm assuming the staff has Smith above Dailey since Smith got the offer first. It could also be that Smith is being brought in as an athlete. Maybe we only bring in 1 safety along with Smith as a tweener who could be the second safety or the fifth LB. We have alot of numbers at safety so it's not like we need 2.

The 1 LB that I definitely want is Wilson. Wilson, Nagel, Edwards and Smith doesn't necessarily work because there is no MLB. So if Smith is considered more of an athlete recruit than we can use that 4th lb spot for Brian Smith or Kyle Jackson. I can't think of another MLB that we are recruiting.

Guest TDJesus3

again as you saw in your last example, if we bring on smith and edwards no room for other olb's, which sucks because i really think Dailey wants to be irish and it would be good to have him

Guest BGIF
... i like dailey but this smith kid can play and got an offer before dailey so the coaches must like him

Dailey has been reported to have academic issues to meet to get an ND offer. So this may not be a question of athletic ability but rather Saracino acceptability.

Guest VagasFerguson44

BGIF, I have credible Ohio sources that told me the kid had a 3.5 grade point average at one point this year. Don't know what has transpired over the past 6 months. But, I think grades are NOT the issue (unless it pertains to SAT/ACT). Of course, this is possible because the academic prowess of schools differs greatly.

I think that the kid reminds CW of A. Vernaglia too much. He is reported to be 6'3", 215lbs, with good speed. And if you have seen pics of this kid his body looks even skinnier than AV. My guess is that there is a "tweener" issue with Dailey. Not to mention that I have been told that he REALLY wants to play safety in college. And I think he is just not fast and quick enough to do so.

Guest TDJesus3

his grades arent an issue, the problem with him as i keep saying his hes behind the curve, he just took the act/sat i cant remember which one not to long ago and only in the last while started sending out film. He has always been high on ND and has a ton of talent who will likely grow into a OLB, my point wasnt that we wouldnt want him or that he wont qualfy, im just thinking the positions may be filled before he gets an offer, with nagel on board, and wilson likely coming, and the need for an MLB that leaves room for one tweener, i take edwards out becuase i still think its him and wright at safety but ok so we got one tweener that leaves dailey, smith and a few others and smith was the first of that group to be offered its interesting

Guest BGIF
BGIF, I have credible Ohio sources that told me the kid had a 3.5 grade point average at one point this year. Don't know what has transpired over the past 6 months. But, I think grades are NOT the issue (unless it pertains to SAT/ACT). Of course, this is possible because the academic prowess of schools differs greatly. ...

That's great news. Thanks for providing that info. I trust it's in the core courses ND requires.

Despite the fuss I didn't say "grades", I said "academic issues" purposely. "Academic issues" covers GPA, Core Courses, and Test Score. I'm sure you realize, while some may not , that ND requires core courses and a test score beyond the NCAA minimums. From many years of following recruiting and through the generous insight from an ND alumni who's a HS guidance counselor I've been made to realize that all 3.5 GPA's are not alike. ND Admissions knows that. (and that's not an aspersion on Dailey or his HS)

An ND offer, without ND Admissions concurrence, only means the coaches like a prospect whether it's Holtz and Rooney at the helm or Davie/Willingham/Weis and Saracino. Charlie's built a working relationship with Admissions that hasn't been in place for two decades - or more.

Thanks again for the test score info.

Irish make offer to Catholic’s Smith

By News Sentinel staff

May 7, 2006

Add Notre Dame to the long list of schools offering scholarships to Catholic High School’s Harrison Smith.

"I got a call from them Sunday night," said Smith. "Coach (Charlie) Weis called and offered me the scholarship."

After a sensational junior season, Smith has been wooing top Division I schools with numbers, everything from a 3.94-second sprint in the 40-yard dash at the Nike football camp on April 29 in Athens, Ga., to a 1850 on his SAT.

Smith admits he "has kind of lost track" of the number of major colleges that have offered, but the count appears to be nine with Arkansas also offering over the weekend. His expects to hear from Auburn this week.

"It is very exciting," he said. "You never really expect that something like this is going to happen."

Smith said he made an unofficial visit to Notre Dame when Tennessee played there last fall. He said Notre Dame is looking at him as a safety, his preferred position, or outside linebacker. Although he has attended Catholic schools from kindergarten on, he said he feels no particular allegiance to the Fighting Irish.

When asked if he followed Notre Dame growing up, Smith said, "No, sir. My team was Tennessee growing up."

UT fans hope his team is still Tennessee. The Vols were among the first to offer, but Smith said he is in no hurry to commit and plans to visit Stanford on June 1.

Smith could have more time for thought, because his spring practice ended last week when he twisted his ankle on the first

HERE COME THE IRISH!!!

Nothing on Smith in my "Cath-o-lick" pipeline. :lol: I'd say no. If it were it would certainly flow up to me in Kentucky Nice kid just not ours.

yeah, that 40-time has to be wrong. the only way he could get that is if he had a running start.

Or he must of been on a track going down Hill. :lol: :lol:

Can anyone check on the paid sites to see what is Numbers actually are?

Guest BGIF
3.94-second sprint in the 40-yard dash

that cant be right?!?!?!!?

No, not for a 40-yard dash but it would be a great shuttle time. Joey Getherall ran a 3.87 shuttle at a USC camp.

If the numbers aren't a typo, I'll conjecture that the writer confused the dash time with the shuttle time.

Harrison's times should be available in the Combine results for someone who has access.