I predict Harrison Smith gets an offer by the end of May

Guest VagasFerguson44

Guest VagasFerguson44

A blurb from a Rivals article recapping the recent Athens, GA NIKE Camp:

Knoxville (Tenn.) Catholic athlete Harrison Smith had the highest shuttle time at the 2006 Athens NIKE Camp (3.94) and the second-fastest 40 (4.38). The 6-foot-1.5, 201-pounder was also impressive in one-on-one drills and showed why he's one of Tennessee's top prospects for the class of 2007.

Smith could play a number of positions, including running back, wide receiver and safety, but most likely is a safety in college. His testing times on Saturday certainly showed he has the athletic ability to do so.

This is the kid that I want in our defensive backfield coming out of the 2007 recruiting class. He's got great speed and probably even better quickness. Not to mention that he is the perfect size for a safety.

I can't remember where it was that I read about him. It was a couple weeks ago. But, I remember the article saying that ND could be a factor in his recruiting decision if they were to offer a scholarship.

I have a friend or two that are close to the Miami program and they truly believe that Major Wright will be a Hurricane.

I also believe that Zo Edwards will be an OLB. We need as much speed as possible at safety. With Edwards size and reported speed, I think he will struggle at safety at the collegiate level.

So, that means (IMO) we will need someone else at safety. I know there has been talk about Michael Williams playing there but at 5'10, 185, he's a little undersized.

Harrison Smith and Sergio Brown together at safety could be even better than Herring and Bruton. Both are bigger and faster.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TDJesus3

i dont know guys, we seem to have locked in our safety prosepects, im wondering if any others are going to get offers unless, barnes, wright, and edwards all pass, i get the feeling smith may have to wait, despite his talent

Guest Bat

:) Vegas keep us posted.

TD maybe like you? I'm an old guy sorta overwhelemed by number of commits or possilities for ND. I seriously mean this was not the case 2 years ago or stretching back 8 plus years.

So.......overwhelmed again is the word. I haven't to be honest and admit to the board other then Charlie's Pihilosophy I know crap. Now 70% or so HAS to be some kid using the word ND for PR sake.

Guest VagasFerguson44

TD, in re-thinking my time frame, I would agree with you to the extent that we may not offer this kid right away. I think that there are some things that need to come clear about Barnes and Wright before CW hands out another schollie to a safety. So, maybe the end of May is too early.

With that being said, assuming that H. Smith does not commit to another school before we offer, I think that we will offer him late summer or early in the season. From what I've read (or maybe read between the lines), Barnes is going to S. Carolina. Like I said before, I'm willing to bet that Wright goes to Miami. HS has interest in ND from what I have read. And I think that, physically, he may be the most talented safety showing interest (outside of the ones we have already offered).

I will find the video that I saw a few weeks back and post it when I do. I thought it came from Sunshine Preps but I don't see it there.

I agree w/ you Vagas, things will open up when some of our offers commit, either to ND or elsewhere. Too bad about Wright, I was thinking he would be a good fit. I also think Barnes will follow Gray to SC, I never really thought that the JC commitment would be enough for Gray to decommit (just like I didn't think Gray had pull to get JC to Spurrier).

Guest BGIF
...I can't remember where it was that I read about him. It was a couple weeks ago. But, I remember the article saying that ND could be a factor in his recruiting decision if they were to offer a scholarship. ...

I posted it on DD Apr 20 under a Tread entitled, "Tennessee Kids",

http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3027

It was viewed almost 400 times but only got one response. The quotes were taken from an article on prospects in the Volunteer State by JC Shurburtt of Rivals

====================

From a freebie Rivals article on Tennessee athletes:

Quote:

Harrison Smith from Knoxville Catholic is a versatile athlete that Tennessee would love to have. He seems to be somewhat open about his choices, but there is talk that Notre Dame could be a big factor if it chooses to be. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder can play a number of positions at the next level ...

Quote:

Nashville athlete Golden Tate appears to be more interested in heading out-of-state than over to Knoxville. As things stand now, the Volunteers face an uphill battle for Tate's services. ...

=============================

IrishEyes.com called him "a name to watch" back in early Dec.

Tennessee, VT, BC and others offered for his football skills. Even better Vanderbilt and Stanford offered scholarships for a student athlete. VU requires 16 core courses like ND; Stanford requires an SAT of 1000 or better

The 3.94 shuttle and 4.38 40 are reminescent of Joey Getherall's camp performances. Joey's were better but he was also 6 inches shorter and carried about 30-35 pounds less as a camper. Even with a "fast" stopwatch Smith was the creme of his camp's athletes.

His HS stats are too shabby for a junior either:

Smith earned first team All-State, All-Region, and All-league honors as a junior. He recorded 61 tackles, 11 tackles fo loss, five interceptions (two returned for scores), three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries. On offense, Smith ran for 1,312 yards and 17 touchdowns on 155 carries. He also caught 32 passes for 446 yards and six touchdowns

This could be the extra RB that some of us have talked about. The one with versatility. He might be a TB, a WR, a S, or grow into a LB. Special Teams Kick Returner OR Coverage Guy.

I hope Charlie doesn't read the board and believe he's supposed to be all done evaluating talent. This is Evaluation Month afterall. Some HS juniors due blossom in their senior season and continue growing.

Guest TDJesus3

broke is right (not a suprise), he is an OLB target, reminds me of nagel, plays safety in high school, has great speed and could turn out to be a monster when he grows into the position

Guest VagasFerguson44

Look what AJ Hawk did. He put that kind of weight on in college and actually got faster. It is possible.

Guest johnchampion

Tennessee has some pretty good players to pick from this year.

I like Golden Tate and that linebacker kid Walker. ND has a good shot at either one if they get offers.

Guest VagasFerguson44

AJ did not come in as a DB but he was probably 210 when he came in to OSU and reportedly ran a 4.6. He left at 235 and I'm pretty sure he ran a 4.45 40 at the combine.