Casey Matthews

GwoodND

Irish Interested in Matthews

By Jeff Baumhower

Date: May 2, 2006

Jimmy Clausen and Marc Tyler aren’t the only players Notre Dame is looking to recruit from Oaks Christian high school (Westlake Village, Calif.) Linebacker Casey Matthews is starting to pile up significant scholarship offers and he was invited to attend Notre Dame’s junior day for the Blue-Gold Football Game.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Westlake Village (Calif.) linebacker Casey Matthews, son of former USC All-America linebacker Clay Matthews, said he favors Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, USC, Oregon and Tennessee — in no order. The Oaks Christian prospect claims to have offers from Georgia Tech, Arizona State, Tennessee, Oregon and Utah.

Matthews said he is also being recruited by Nebraska, UCLA and South Carolina.

Matthews said his ideal school combines strong athletics and academics. "I want to walk into a place that is prestigious in both areas," he said. "I want to go to a school where the fans are insane about football. The campus and the hospitality of the fans is important too.

Marc Tyler of Oaks Christian High in Westlake Village, Calf., says, "I'm 70 percent sure I'm going to commit to Notre Dame. Jimmy (Clausen) committing there is definitely a big influence in my decision. It would be great to play together in college."

The Scout.com five-star, 6-0, 214 pound running back said he and his father had a great trip to South Bend last weekend, but is not ready to make his decision yet. "I want talk to the coaches at USC and go visit Michigan first.

Tyler said that he won't commit until he has had the chance to talk to his family and compare all his options with Notre Dame, USC and Michigan. "Those three are it. I'm all done looking anywhere else."

The Midwest with Chris Pool

I saw Mathews at the JC press conference and he wasn't that big. He only looked 5'10". He had an OK thickness to him but did not look like a dead ringer for a LB. I can't say he is at the top of my list. But if Charlie offers him than I'm all for it.

Guest johnchampion

Nagel is in.

I'd like to see Brian Smith, Martez Wilson and Andrew Dailey round out the foursome.

Guest TDJesus3

yea i think wilson will likely be in, the more about him I see and hear I like, i really think hes a player and has a nasty streak, which our defense lacks sometimes

Dailey is a stud, i wish we would offer him and get him on board, because i think hes going to be a good one, and right now i would say he is still a strong ND lean

Smith is where it gets interesting, the other three we have taken so far are olbs, smith is a very big mlb, hes a legacy hes dad played full back here and hes kind of under the radar, i cant decide whether i like him or jackson better, jackson is smaller but hits hard and really stuffs the run, but ill take either of them at mlb

John i would say good call on all of ur picks

My 4 are Nagel, Dailey, Wilson, and Kyle Jackson. I say Jackson because he brings something different than the other 3. the others are speed guys that fly all over the field. What we need. But Jackson is that run stuffing MLB that gives us a strength that the other 3 don't show as their strength. Not that they don't stop the run they are just known more for their athleticism and speed.

I am not sold on Kyle Jackson...the kid seems a bit small from the listing.

6'0" 225 is pretty damn big for a 17 year old MLB. You figure he grows into a 240+ MLB. He's only 6', that's pretty good size. Plus, he is already a big run stuffer.

Guest TDJesus3

also remember jackson is only going to get better, last year was his first year starting, i get the feeling that this kid is going to be a good one once he gets more pt

Guest johnchampion

Go to the tape, Smith vs. Jackson.

Tape don't lie. I like Jackson, but if they're taking ONE MLB, I want it to be Smith.

When he hits, the object he hits tends to stay on the ground a bit longer than normal. He's fierce, someone that would fit right into this 'nasty" philosophy.

Martez Wilson is an animal and Andrew Dailey is like a missle to the football.

These four. Final answer.

6'0 225 is not big to me for a MLB, and I say this because we are about to offer a Linebacker who is 6-4, 225 with much more room to grow and runs a 4.5. This kid is a beast with long arms and just cleaned 285 today.

Minter flew to Memphis specifically to see Chris Walker, today, and said Walker is in their Top 4 on the board for Linebackers and that he would offer him if he could, but that decision is up to Big CW. ND IS taking 4 LBs for sure this year, so when you guys do predictions, make sure you count a sure 4.

Guest TDJesus3

word is flying around the boards about how much minter loved this kid, and how hes going to get an offer soon, i got no source info on this one, someone try to find this kids interest level for me, because i thought i heard a long time ago he was really high on us but hes got offers from alot of people.

on a side note, i wouldnt worry about his sacks, hes fast and built like a bull, sacks for lb's come from the scheme. He would be a huge get in my opinon