Ragone verbals

Guest Champion10

Guest Champion10

per IE

http://notredame.scout.com/2/526363.html

Irish Eyes spoke with Mike Ragone and confirmed that he will announce his commitment to Notre Dame tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. during a press conference to be held at his high school.

“There was no one thing about Notre Dame, it was everything,” Ragone said of the factors that lead him to chose Notre Dame. “First, Charlie Weis he’s going to be a legendary coach. He’s won Super Bowls. The first time I met him he said he only wanted one tight end and he said he wanted me. That made a lot of things good.

“Second, we’ll have the best quarterback in the country going there – Jimmy Clausen.

“Then it came down to my visit for the spring game. I had such a great vibe for it and I had such a great feel for the school I didn’t want to hold out and mess with everyone. The whole weekend went great for me. It went so good for me that I thought it was time, so I pulled the trigger. I just thought it was the right thing to do is to commit right now.

Charlie Weis was a big reason Ragone chose Notre Dame. He certainly likes how Weis uses the tight end, and even though the Irish depth will be thin at tight end when Ragone arrives in South Bend, Mike wasn’t concerned about competition.

“It’s also a tight end friendly offense,” Ragone said about the Irish offense. “Everywhere you go, you’re going to have to compete, so why not compete at Notre Dame. I’m just going to do my best and go from there."

Although Mike does attend a Catholic high school, he didn’t grow up rooting for the Irish. You could say he became a Notre Dame fan, because of his future head coach.

“I got an offer from Rutgers before my junior year, but I really didn’t think about playing football,” recalled Ragone. “Then I started getting letters from Notre Dame, I watched them with Charlie Weis and he’s done such great things with the program and turned the whole thing around."

Mike will be a guest on Irish Eyes Power Hour Monday night at 7:00 p.m.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bat

:lol: :lol: Boooooooooooooo Irish eyes I had an old priest in NJ call this Ragone way back when. :lol: :lol: But thanks for the' "inside exclusive"

Lughing all he way till 9:30 :roll:

Sunday, April 30, 2006

One in, one out

Easy come, easy go. You lose one bruising tight end from New Jersey to the NFL draft, and the next day you snag another one. I think Irish fans should prepare themselves for a perpetual string of tough-as-nails Italian kids from Jersey lining up at tight end as long as Charlie Weis is running the show.

Wondering if he's good? Well, if you're into the stars thing, Scout has him as a four star, Rivals has him in the "Rivals 100", and, most importantly, check out the ridiculously awesome list of schools competing for his services.

Guest gizmokt24

How much of an impact (if any) do you think Ragone's commitment will have on the other NJ recruits (ie Trattou & Kumara)?

Hey Bat, Nice Call !!! Your Priest, he isn't too harsh on his hail Mary's!

PS I had him on my commit list for May 1! For whomever is keeping score. But then again. I have a lot of Silents on there too. Looks like I lose the contest but will win the war. Everyone will kick my butt on recruiting juice after this year.

May 1, 2006

New Jersey For Ragone

by RYAN O'LEARY

BlueAndGold.com Assistant Editor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Version

He’s not quite sure of the exact moment when it hit him, but by the time Mike Ragone left the Notre Dame campus at the end of the Blue-Gold Game weekend, he knew.

On Monday morning, in front of a large group of friends and family at Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill, N.J., the junior tight end made it official, verbally committing to Charlie Weis and the Irish.

Weis was slated to visit Ragone’s school on Monday, but it was not known whether he was to be in attendance for the announcement.

Ragone becomes the fourth verbal commitment to the class of 2007.

“I was going to pull the trigger at any time,” Ragone told Blue and Gold Illustrated on Sunday night, “with any school if I felt comfortable with it.”

It may not have been comfortable for Ragone to walk around the campus, sporting a long brace on his left knee from surgery earlier in the month, but everything else just seemed to fit.

“When I was there, the whole atmosphere…I got a good feel from it,” he said. “They got the best quarterback in the country (Jimmy Clausen)…and Coach Weis…I liked it so much, I figured I’d just pull the trigger.”

Ragone chose Notre Dame over USC, Miami (Fla.) and Florida State. He planned to notify the coaches at those schools sometime on Monday.

A 6-foot-5, 230-pounder who was the only tight end offered by the Irish this year, Ragone said he hopes to compete with incoming freshman Konrad Reuland for playing time in 2007.

Regardless of how that battle turns out, Weis’ penchant for using tight ends frequently was a definite factor in the final decision – especially after Ragone saw another Jersey native, Anthony Fasano, get scooped up in the second round of the NFL Draft.

“What (Weis) did with Fasano, and what he’s doing now with (John) Carlson, the offense he runs is very tight end-friendly,” said Ragone.

He was also impressed by the effort Weis put forth after his injury, helping Ragone to link up with the doctors from the Philadelphia Eagles – but that isn’t what turned him toward South Bend.

“Even if I wasn’t injured I still would’ve committed to Notre Dame,” he said.

Ragone doesn’t plan to be injured for much longer. He says the brace will come off next week, and that he hopes to be running again in about a month or so. By the middle of summer, he expects to be back to normal.

“I’m ahead of schedule right now,” said Ragone of his recovery. “I’m going to be fine.”

Even more so now that he has the recruiting process out of the way.

Guest Bat

That's great news about his knees progress. Think he will wrestle at ND? Use of his hands from that is a valuable skill.

What certainly sends Weis stock skyrocketing with recruits is sticking with them if they get injured. I know some coaches simply quit calling if there's an injury. Then time after time, in Cleveland, was it Robbie too?, this kid and Zach Frazer he's with them seeing they get the best doctors and some Pro rehab.

Mike Ragone Commits to Notre Dame

Written By: Frank Vitovitch | Posted:May 1, 2006 02:53 AM

Printer Friendly :: Email to a Friend :: Discuss on the Board

(UHND.com) – While current Notre Dame players were signing free agent deals and getting drafted this weekend, a future Notre Dame player was deciding that Notre Dame was where he wanted to play his college ball. Tight end Mike Ragone from New Jersey verbally commited to Notre Dame Sunday.

Ragone, 6’5”, 230 lbs, his a highly rated tight end prospect out of New Jersey with offers from schools such as USC, Penn State, Ohio State, and more. He is listed with 4.45 speed in the 40 by Scout.com, which is blazing speed for a tight end. That 40 time is probably inflated as most are this early in the recruiting process, but either way, the kid has got some great speed for the position.

He recently visited Notre Dame for the Blue-Gold game where he got to meet the quarterback who will be throwing him passes in the future in Jimmy Clausen. Clausen committed to the Irish last weekend and Ragone is the first to follow the probably consensus #1 prospect.

Ragone is as talented as any tight end prospect in the country at this point and possesses the kind of speed that will create problems for linebackers who have to cover him.

The Cherry Hill, New Jersey native will be coming off a serious knee injury in 2006 after suffering a torn ACL and MCL during a wrestling match as a junior. He is expected to be ready for the season, but it will be interesting to see how the injury affects his performance this year.

Even with the injury, Ragone will be one of the top rated tight ends when the final recruiting rankings are released at the end of next year.

This commitment gives the Irish another talented tight end for the 2007 roster with Knorad Rueland and Will Yeatman joining the Irish this past recruiting class. Rueland was considered the top tight end in the country last year, something Ragone can be this year.

The last six foot five Notre Dame tight end to come from Jersey, Anthony Fasano, was just drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL Draft this past weekend, if Ragone follows in his footsteps, Irish fans can expect a great career from him.

May 02. 2006 6:59AM

Ragone at home with ND

BOB WIENEKE

Tribune Staff Writer

Early Monday, after Mike Ragone had committed to Notre Dame, a story was floating that the tight end had last season run over USC-bound safety Antwine Perez, a player considered to be one of the hardest hitters in the nation.

Turned it the story wasn't entirely accurate.

"Nah, I didn't run over him," Ragone said via cell phone Monday afternoon. "I ran by him."

Recruiting analyst Tom Lemming rated Ragone as the No. 1 tight end prospect in the nation.

The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Ragone, who selected ND over USC and Florida State, has been timed at less than 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash. That's not tight end speed. That's wide receiver speed.

"He's such a great weapon on the offensive side of the ball," said Rick Brown, Ragone's coach at Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill, N.J. "He can exploit the middle of the field and stretch defenses like nobody I've seen in the country right now."

Ragone made his announcement Monday after deciding the weekend of the April 22 Blue-Gold Game that Notre Dame was right for him.

Ragone's visit last month was his second to South Bend, the first coming in mid-January. It was during that January trip that Ragone struck up a friendship with quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who on the morning of the spring game committed to ND.

"When Jimmy committed, I think that kind of pushed him over the edge," Brown said. "I think he was sitting on top of the hill comparing everything he could to Notre Dame."

"Having a quarterback like that throwing you the ball is something great. It wasn't like 'if he went there, I'm going there sort of thing,' but it definitely played a great part in my choice just because having him throw the ball to you is ... it's really good," Ragone said.

Ragone is also a state champion heavyweight wrestler. Last season he wrestled at 220 pounds, often giving up 50 pounds or more to the guy across from him.

"That just tells you how tough the kid is," Brown said. "On top of that, the kid's a workout maniac."

Ragone underwent surgery to repair an ACL injury he suffered to his left knee while wrestling. He didn't put a timetable on a full recovery, but said he is doing fantastic.

Last season Ragone caught approximately 42 passes for 850 yards and 10 touchdowns. Six of those touchdowns went for 60 or more yards. He added an 11th TD on an 83-yard kickoff return. Ragone's secret comes down to speed.

"You can't tackle," he said, "what you can't catch."

Saint Francis, Wis., offensive lineman Josh Oglesby, who was being recruited by Notre Dame, has committed to Wisconsin.

Staff writer Bob Wieneke:

bwieneke@sbtinfo.com

(574) 235-6428

E-Mail Story | Print Story

Notre Dame commitments

The following players made verbal commitments to play football at Notre Dame beginning in 2007. The first day players can sign a national letter-of-intent is Feb. 7.

Kerry Neal; 6-3, 228, DE; Bunn, N.C.

Aaron Nagel; 6-2, 215, LB; LeMont, Ill.

Jimmy Clausen; 6-3, 200, QB; Westlake Village, Calif. (Oaks Christian School)

Mike Ragone; 6-5, 230, TE; Cherry Hill, N.J. (Camden Catholic)

Guest BSanDeRs

"The first time I met him he said he only wanted one tight end and he said he wanted me."

Hmmm Why was Aaron Hernandez offered then??

Guest TDJesus3

Hernandez never had an Irish offer, we had interest in him before he picked florida but he was not offered, and Ragone was always the top target...there will only be 1 TE in this class