J.R. hemingway

GwoodND

April 28, 2006

The Offers Continue...

by JASON SAPP

BlueAndGold.com RECRUITING ANALYST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue and Gold introduces wide receiver prospect J.R. Hemingway. The Conway, S.C., native recently gained an offer from Notre Dame.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gizmokt24

I know this has probably been discussed earlier at some point, but how many receivers is ND looking to bring in with this class?

Should this be viewed as a negative sign that one of the recievers we offered earlier is wavering a little bit?

Guest IrishCupaJoe

Sure hope this isn't a reflection on Benn. Everyone thought he'd follow Clausen's verbal relatively soon, but he didn't, and now says he wants to wait later in the year. HHmmmmm :? :? :?

Guest DCIrish

I must say that was my exact thought when I heard Hemingway was offered. I.E. That Little, Thompson, Benn or Kumara have dropped off.

That said, Hemingway is a great player. Notice this dialogue on an ESPN chat a few days back:

AJ Boise ID: Who are the top WRs in this class?

Craig Haubert: (3:43 PM ET ) there are several talented players at this position in '07 like Greg Little and j.R. Hemmingway who are special prospects. Little will be joining us next week on the chat. Duval Kamara is a monster of a receiver and reminds us of USC receiver Dwayne Garrett .

Guest TDJesus3

here is my take on the wideouts, Benn and Kumara are locks, from their we look for a third, I do not see Thompson happening, i think he is a gator, that means we have to look at Bonner, Hemingway, Lecorn, Little, or Mays...Mays has grade issues and has to make sure he gets them up to a point to keep his offer, so lets not count him, also i dont think we land him. Bonner can play, we don't talk much about him, partially because i think he stays in the south, also he doesnt talk about notre dame much, so hes probably not going to happen either. Lecorn is out, he has notre dame as low interest, i think hes another one who is florida's to lose.

That leaves us with Hemingway and Little, both big time prospects. hemingway is wide open at this point, FSU, Michigan, OSU, Auburn, South Carolina all have offered him along with ND. Hes pretty fast and is 6-2, hes schollie offers alone shoudl tell you about his talent. We got a good shot at him, we got in a little late, but hes a more viable prospect then the other offers listed above. Little is alot like Hemingway, hes 6-3 fast and is very versatile. He to has a laundry list of offers and has talked about playing with a big time QB, well we got one of those, I think he either comes here or goes with Paulus to USC or UNC. We got a good shot at these two kids, im sure there are others not offered yet, but when you start with Benn and Kumara you are in great shape, those are easily 2 of the top 10 wideouts in the country if not the top two

Guest DCIrish

I just saw an article with Kumara proclaimng his "intrigue" with Boston College. He says they are a small school with great academics and one where he can make an immediate impact.

IMO, that description could also be ND. Unfortunately he is not talking about the Irish however.

That scares me some. If Kumara has wandering eyes and Benn is pushing his committment date, I do not think we can say they are both Irish...

Another interesting note is about Oglesby. Apparently he wants to narrow his list and unfortunately has an illness in his family that may impact his recruiting decision. My read is that means he will want to stay close to home and be a Badger.

DC that's my read on Oglesby I would like to have him but he wasa lean. Since Weis visit to him I have heard zip to change his-my viewpoint. Call it be a shocker if he went ND.

But I think the board should exclude him and look elsewhere. Weis may leave an offer out there for him, but he too is hunting elsewhere. This came from a bunch of Wiscy people I know. Something would really have to happen to break the lean and nothing has. Meaning he would agree with all Weis persuaded but have a YES, BUT???? I think he's a stay at home boy.

Guest IrishCupaJoe

Yeah, if the kid was that sure, then a phone call to Charlie would have been nice, considering he has Charlie's number. To have Charlie waste half a day flying to Wisconsin, all the while this kid knows he's going to commit that very same week to the Badgers just ticks me off.

Guest TDJesus3

this thing with his grandma and her cancer i think really pushed wisconsin over the top, i agree they may have been the favorite but i get the feeling this was a huge deal for him, as it shoudl be, there was a rivals piece talking about him narrowing down his list and how hard it would be to leave home when he just wanted to be by her bedside. It is interesting because the rivals article is dated today and its about him and USC and how he wants to take his time and not rush to anything so he makes the best decision, and now it seems like he chose already, very weird situation, but i completely understand him staying home becuase of what they call a family tragedy (his grandma being ill)

Guest IrishCupaJoe

At which point Charlie's immediate thought was likely, 'Ya know kid, this kind of news doesn't have to be delivered in the flesh . . . taxi!'

Guest NDLawJAG

The thing with Hemming way is that he has become a top national recruit that has become intrigued with the Irish as of late. If the coaches ID six or seven guys that are gamebreakers and could all step in and deliver... offer them all. If you end up telling a couple you are too late, ala Austin last year, thats OK.

As long as the staff does not start offering second tier guys then I would not be worried.

Guest TDJesus3

its good to hear he has interest, i think the third spot for me would be Thompson then Hemingway, ill take either of them, then we would have 3 of the top wr's in this class, this class would make an immediate impact

Guest NDLawJAG

Just food for thought, they have talked to Ronald Johnson about playing both ways... He would be a hell of a nickle back/speed receiver.

It will be extremely hard to pull anyone out of South Carolina with a Bowden and Spurrier there. SC is a very clickish state. Went to school there. Most do not leave. Barring the great Tony Rice but then again there were no STAR coaches down there at that time.