Notre Dame RB Prospects

Guest NDLawJAG

Guest NDLawJAG

Ok... Now that QB recruiting is done (except for those of you believing that conspiracy that there will be two), It is time to turn our attention to other positions like RB.

I was looking at our prospects:

Armando Allen 5-9/181/4.31 Hialeah, FL (80)

Chris Rainey 5-8/160/4.42 Lakeland, FL (88)

Caleb King 5-11/186/4.4 Lilburn, GA (88)

Brandon Saine 6-0/200/4.34 Piqua, OH (77)

Kevin Simmons 5-10/175/4.5 Virgina Beach, VA ( )

Marc Tyler 6-0/215/4.5 Westlake Village, CA (91)

I know Marc Tyler was the first RB offered and then Allen/Rainey got offers. CW has said he wants a power back (Tyler) and scatback (Allen/Rainey). I also remember seeing Tyler say that CW said he was the powerback. Until recently, we were speculating Tyler was a SC/UCLA lean but now it seems he may be a ND lean.

Now, the point of the post is... Does it seem strange that we have offered three more of the smaller speed backs in the last month but have yet to offer another power back?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmm? ND time will tell.

On the three, not too unwise gives Charle triple chances and to be honest the thgree gotta be thinking 'maybe I should verb now before the other two get a chance.?' :lol:

Guest TDJesus3

Armando Allen 5-9/181/4.31 Hialeah, FL (80)

Chris Rainey 5-8/160/4.42 Lakeland, FL (88)

Caleb King 5-11/186/4.4 Lilburn, GA (88)

Brandon Saine 6-0/200/4.34 Piqua, OH (77)

Kevin Simmons 5-10/175/4.5 Virgina Beach, VA ( )

Marc Tyler 6-0/215/4.5 Westlake Village, CA (91)

the numbers next to the name are espn's ratings of the prosects from their recruiting tracker...sorry no rating on simmons yet, i thought the numbers would be a good change of pace from the stars most people see, all of these guys are 4 and 5 stars

the smilies were coming up because an 8) will make a smile, if you do not disable the smiles

I think that Tyler is an all around back, while the smaller backs you are seeing are the change of pace guys weis loves, Ill take any of these smaller guys to go with Tyler

I doubt if you see a big bruiser in this class with Schwaap and Schmidt being so young...sorry hughes but doesnt look like ull be ND, but who knows

However, all this being said, you may only see one back in this class, its very possible that Tyler would be the only one taken, we have depth at rb and with our needs at other positions if schollies get tight and you see these big time guys going other places i would doubt if weis takes a reach on any others not on this list

Guest Champion10

oh I see...... :D . Tyler could very well end up being the only RB taken(and I would have no problem with that). But I think Weis is a little greedy(in a good way :D).

any combo of those RB's would be great.

Is the smiley face wearing sunglasses Saracino, our Admissions Honcho?

I've been concerned about RB up until Tyler's 70% comment (he's a UCLA legacy).

Despite Thomas 83 yd sprint in the B&G, ND hasn't had a long breakaway run in a game since Robert Farmer about 4000 rushing attempts ago. Julius Jones was a threat but we don't have anyone like that now.

I like Walker but he's a Denson type of runner. Make the first man miss and break off some nice yards. I don't think Denson had a run of 54 yds and he gained a lot of yards (as will Walker). I don't think Aldridge has the speed either to outrun a corner or a safety for the long home run. He strikes me as more likely to have sting a defense like Bettis did to Florida in the Cheerios Bowl.

I would think the speed kids would be beating on Charlie's door shouting, Let me in coach, I can take it all the way!" You get to run, catch, and block your way to the NFL in Charlie's offense. Complete development.

Of the guys offered at least two, Rainey and King, have ND academic requirements to meet otherwise this discussion is, pardon the appropriate pun, - academic.

Allen claims to like Sunshine and warm temperatures. Saine has a buckeye birth certificate. And Simmons seems small without the corresponding impressive 40 time (maybe his is the only real time).

The "other" big back could be Robert Hughes recent visitor or WR Greg Little who has some impressive HS TB stats. I suspect Little will get some carries but lined up as a receiver rather than a TB. BTW, while some people project Hughes as a FB, he's been adamant, "I'm NOT a fullback!"

Some of the other names mentioned like Robert Evans and Dale Martin, both Midwest guys, have GPAs around 2.5 with no test scores yet. That's fine for OSU or UM but I'd bet Saracino would want to see some academic "growth" before an offer is made, like Paddy Mullen last year.

After rereading the initial post more closely am I correct that Rainey and King are rated at 88 and the the close parenthesis after the seond 8 brought on the smiley with sunglasses?

I liked the Saracino as Academic Watchdog better than just a mundane high guru rating.

my thoughts at RB are that we bring a minimium of 2 backs. minimum. I would not be shocked if we bring 3, not expecting it but wouldn't be surprised. As I have said before, RB is the most versatile position and the position that is the best combination of size, speed, quickness and power. Always a chance of position changes but we do NOT limit the amount of guys we bring in at what is typically considered to be the most athletic position on the field, excluding the punter of course.

I would really like to see a top 3rd down type of back. A break your ankles type of RB. Armando Allen and Tyler is the perfect duo for me. I'm not sure Tyler is the typical power back. I think he more of a well rounded back. Hughes/Evans would be considered the power backs.

Just my 2 pennies.

Guest Champion10
After rereading the initial post more closely am I correct that Rainey and King are rated at 88 and the the close parenthesis after the seond 8 brought on the smiley with sunglasses?

I liked the Saracino as Academic Watchdog better than just a mundane high guru rating.

ok then lets keep the saracino academic watchdog :D

anytime we have a recruit that may have academic problems we will use it :lol:

my thoughts at RB are that we bring a minimium of 2 backs. minimum. I would not be shocked if we bring 3, not expecting it but wouldn't be surprised. As I have said before, RB is the most versatile position and the position that is the best combination of size, speed, quickness and power. Always a chance of position changes but we do NOT limit the amount of guys we bring in at what is typically considered to be the most athletic position on the field, excluding the punter of course.

I would really like to see a top 3rd down type of back. A break your ankles type of RB. Armando Allen and Tyler is the perfect duo for me. I'm not sure Tyler is the typical power back. I think he more of a well rounded back. Hughes/Evans would be considered the power backs.

Just my 2 pennies.

I have 2-3 on my recruiting projections for the same reasons. Versatility, injuries, academics, Student Affairs, positions changes. RBs and TEs types fill a lot of holes on a team.

I have 2-3 on my recruiting projections for the same reasons. Versatility, injuries, academics, Student Affairs, positions changes. RBs and TEs types fill a lot of holes on a team.

BGIF, if you keep agreeing with me you will have to start posting here more often.

Guest TDJesus3

hey broke or BGIF can one of you post your 25 breakdown how you work 2-3 backs into the equation? I do not doubt you can do it i just would like to see how it plays out

Guest TDJesus3

looks ok broke couple of things though

depending on chiro's juice there could be qb's, which im nto sure about

4 lbs was the right call, i still think theres 2 safeties coming, i got this feelilng we get edwards and wright

but i didnt think you could do it and still keep depth on the OL and DL, im impressed, and that could very well do it, for my money though ill take 2 rbs, Tyler and one of the smaller fast backs (allen, rainey, etc) and use that other scholarship on a safety or athlete type where were not really sure to play him offense or defense

I'm with you broker what we have 5 QB's now? WE HAVE DESPERATE NEEDS IN OTHER AREAS. I believe after this full boat Weis said 15 to 20 (max on the 20) closer to 15.

2008 will be a more interesting recruiting year. Yes that's far ahead but Charlie's looking that far ahead. Then you figure who graduates in 4 years, who might do 5, who transfers and Balh.

Guest NDLawJAG

I agree with everything you said Broke about Allen/Tyler and that you can always move RB to other positions...

One of my points with the original post was that CW said he wanted a power back like Tyler in this class. The fact that he has limited recruitment to One player total says something about CWs confidence. He has expanded from two to five in the speed back category in recent weeks.

Guest NDLawJAG

Couple points on the breakdown.... I think we now need two TE. We could lose two after this season which would leave us with only two on scholarships, both freshman next year. I believe that Ragone will be one and I think the other will be more a blocking TE.

Next, I think if Edwards does commit he will count against the linebackers and then they could take Wright as well. Also, Williams, when he commits, could play CB or Safety. So after Williams commits they will take a true shut down cover corner and a safety (two if both Edwards and Wright want to come on board.

Guest TDJesus3

good call, i wouldnt look for carlson to leave though, he has a ton of talent, first round talent, and he will have a break out year, but you get hurt in the draft if you only had one good year, two years for carlson in my opinon...which means we may only take one TE, but im ok with two, especially in CW offense

The 07 draft will not been nearly as deep at TE as 06 will be. If Carlson has a break out year, I can see him going pro.

Remember, CW is not going to give you bad advice just to make his roster look better. He will help you make the decision that is right for you...not him.