JC to commit to Irish says Holtz

Guest gallup21

Guest gallup21

Top prep QB Clausen to verbally commit to IrishBy Tom Friend

ESPN The Magazine

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Jimmy Clausen, the most acclaimed California prep quarterback since John Elway, will verbally commit to Notre Dame on Saturday, ESPN college football analyst Lou Holtz said.

Holtz reports that Clausen, a high school senior-to-be, will make his announcement at 8:30 a.m. at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend. According to sources, Clausen chose the Irish over USC so he could be mentored by head coach Charlie Weis; he is now the front-runner to replace the graduating Brady Quinn as Notre Dame's starter in 2007.

Clausen, 6 feet 3 and 207 pounds, has thrown 88 touchdowns and only l1 interceptions in his past two seasons at Oaks Christian School in Westlake Village, Calif., his team averaging 53 points a game. He is 27-0 as a starter, has completed 68 percent of his passes over the last two years, has thrown for 7,234 career yards and will have one of his high school games televised live next September on ESPN2.

He is the younger brother of recent Tennessee quarterbacks Casey and Rick Clausen, although both brothers say Jimmy is more accurate, more unflappable and more polished a player.

"He's better than both of us right now," Rick Clausen has said.

Tom Friend writes for ESPN The Magazine.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnchampion

I'm getting up an hour earlier so I can get into town to see this.

Oh, and I'll check out the HOF since I've never been there.

This actual scrimmage has pretty much become secondary to the recruiting buzz.

Ahhhhhhhh Can I just say... acknoldged front runner to succeed brady Quinn by who??? Umm Internet fans? Hotz? Media. OK they are right I am wrong. The kid never has thrown a ball in Senior HS yet. So we discard all the listed QB's and just wait for 2007?????? :lol:

Surely a guy like that wont if he's hyped won't mesh with a locker room bunch of players.?

Bat, I understand wher eyou are coming from, but be happy man. ND is getting this year's #1 prosect tomorrow. Where he ends up on the depth chart will not be officially decided for at least 12 - 16 months. There is going to be a lot of talk about what JC will do, and I understand you not wanting to overlook DD and ZF. ...but....just be happy :D

Guest VagasFerguson44

Well, I was wrong with my prediction that there would no immediate commitments this weekend. In this case, it feels great to be wrong.

Guest gallup21

wow-there was a post on II i just read that gets me really mad- they said zach and/or D.J will transfer, but who really cares? well i for one care. i think were getting 3 great qb's here, and i may not be so keen on d.j because of his statements a while back i think it was in january or feb, and its not that im not keen on clausen, its just i want zach to win the starting job, although if clausens better, well may the best man win (i personally hope its zach though :D )

Hey Vegas wrong? remind me to tell you about my marrage. ahahahah. :lol: Why am I laughing? That was not a feel good to be wrong.

I know.......... I know... Irishguy, I am happy with any commits, it's just last years drool overs are now (Who day?) This years will be too by the fan base very soon. Human nature I suppose?

Guest ND2k9

Let me remind you fo a guy named Adam "pacman" Jones (former no.6 pick in teh draft) the kid walks into a Wake Forest press conference, decked out in deacs gear. What does he do? rip off his shirt, tearaways, and hat, to reveal a West Virignia shirt, shorts, and of course the cap was in his pocket. Im not alluding to anythign but wouldnt that be the cruelst joke ever if the best QB in eyars did it to us?

on second thought. . .

KNOCK ON WOOD

Guest TDJesus3

ha im sure blue would appreciate the skepticism but this thing has been a done deal for awhile now, just waited for the right time to make it public, and tommorrow at the HoF is the perfect time, there are a few others that are done deals right now too that ull hear about, we have all heard the names and there coming, Weis definitly has a flair for the dramatic, I love this guy!