Wow (Benn video)

Guest bluester2000

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same thought - his QB doesn't look too bad either. But man - those were some ratty fields, don't you think?

Judging from a few of the plays he had on the defensive side of the ball, maybe Coach Weis might think about trying him over there.

Guest ND2k9

the one thign i noticed, and you will too if u pay attention, the kid doesnt look liek he has a top speed. i cant think of one of the plays where he wasnt kicking it into high gear and jsut out accelerating the guy with teh angle. there was one long bomb where the D played a nice angle but he just out ran the guy. Fantastic. Also, he might be the sweetest player ever. yougn gusy knwo what i mean. that little arrogancy that makes the good players into the jersey sellign superstars (a.k.a. flipping the ball into the D's face, applauding himself after a tackle (not always a bad thign as old fart analysts try to make it into))

Guest NDLawJAG

I have been saying that he is the top wr in the country.... This clip just solidifies it. Very good feet, good hieght and great size.... Plus the ability to squeeze through a crack.

He would be a great follow on to Zibby as number 9.

Guest Legacy 5.5

Was it just me or did it seem like he was just jogging out there yet no one could catch him. Is his speed just effortless or does he not have top end. The film reminded me of the play in Remember the Titans that dude was running down the receiver to cause the fumble. I guess it could have been the film quality too?

Guest NDLawJAG

Ok... since everyone is reminding us of thier called shots, heres my take a few months ago...

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He did look awesome in that video... Unforetuneately, I have not seen any mention of him expressing interest in ND.

A couple other guys that look great on thier tapes are Arrelious Benn and Chris Rainey. One of Benns tapes on Irish Eyes is all him returning punts and he looks like hes jogging but no one can catch him.

Guest VagasFerguson44

I know I'm new here guys but I have to be honest. I've watched a bunch of film on 2007 WR prospects. And by far, the one that was most impressive is Deonte Thompson. A. Benn appears to have some pretty good hands, great strength, and decent moves but he lacks WR speed. It was very obvious watching the film on him. I was more impressed with his play as a DE. I would go as far as to say he should be a TE in college. I think he would be a dynamite TE or LB.

Now Thompson, on the other hand....this guy seems to have good size (although not as big as Benn). But, who needs size when you have the moves and raw speed this guys does. If you haven't watched his tape you need to soon. He reminds me of Percy Harvin and he looks a little bigger than Percy but just as fast/quick.

Hands down, D. Thompson is #1 on my wish list. I wouldn't care if he was our only WR commit this year I think he is that valuable.

No prblem Vagas new or not. I always feel thse Vids are "highlights" show me 4 quarters of effort against someone good. Then will be impressed, let me see when your dog a***ed tired in 4th quarter what you do. :)

Any news on this kid you mentioned?

Guest VagasFerguson44

I toally agree with you, Bat. What do you do for 60 minutes, not 2-3 minutes of tape is what determines success.

As far as Deonte Thompson goes, when Scout released their list of 2007 prospects to watch, there was some talk about Deonte Thompson being a Top-10 overall recruit and the #1 WR prospect in the country.

What kind of speed does he have? An article from a Palm Beach, FL newspaper claims he is the fastest man in the state of FL. Quote, "Glades Central junior Deonte Thompson ran the 100-meter dash in 10.55 seconds to win at last weekend's Glades Central Invitational. That's believed to be the fastest in the state so far this season."

He currently lists these schools as his favorites (among others). Here is what I have read about the connection to each school listed in the order of his interest (in my opinion):

1. Miami - Needs a Big-Time WR and the Canes are his parent's favorite team!

2. Florida - Gators have a history of success in Glades H.S. and he grew up a Gator fan.

3. Ohio State - His cousin is OSU WR Albert Dukes and Deonte attends the same high school that Santonio Holmes came from.

4. Notre Dame - In need of a deep threat and can play right away.

5. Florida State - Attended FSU Bowl practice last year and with Rouse dimissal last year, the noles need a deep threat.

Right now I'm hearing that miami is going to be the team that will be the one to beat. Their wr depth chart is suspect. The last two years of WR recruiting at Miami has been surprisingly average. he could very well make his way right into the starting rotation there. Now you could argue that the same is true at ND, but, he is a FL guy and most of them want to stay close to home and in warm weather.

On 4/14 , Deonte cancelled his trip to the ND spring game but said he is still very interested in the Irish. We'll see?! I can only hope! Maybe JC will change our fortunes with Deonte Thompson.

:) Nice report Vagas.

Basiclly that's what I want to know 'so in the clear you get this TD on tape, WOW! Ok You been grinding 59 minutes and 1 minute to go your the guy and tired as all Heck. Let me see those. :) Worn oot? I won't fault you but that is where it all gets on the line. That extra.

Guest Legacy 5.5

I totally agree with you guys about Deonte. That being said there are lots of board rumors that he may have verballed to Urban and the gators this weekend at there spring game.

Hope the rumors are wrong.

Guest bluester2000

I haven't seen Thompson's vid yet, but I couldn't imagine Benn on the defensive side of the ball. Certain teams can get away with having a defensive end that's a bit undersized (say 230-240#s, which means Benn would have to add 30#s before you could even think about it). On top of that Minter's approach isn't about scheming around particular strengths or weaknesses (never has been either). His defense is a vanilla one that doesn't try anything crazy (like line up a kid who goes a buck ninety at defensive end).

Even for outside backer (either Will or Apache) he's still 20#s away.

OR

You can have him play wide out from the word go. A good wide out coach, a decent field, running cleaner routes, and getting him on a collegiate diet/work out program and Benn will be nucking futs. I'm not saying he's better than Thompson (I'm just saying we should take more than one wide out).