Richetti Jones

Dallas, Texas defender Richetti Jones has plenty of scholarship offers but he said there was something special about the recent offer he received from Notre Dame. The 6-foot-3, 234-pounder and member of the Rivals.com Pre-Evaluation Top 100 has a who's who list of offers but isn't ready to name any favorites. He hopes to do that sometime early during his senior season.

http://notredame.rivals.com/noaccess.asp?SID=961&script=/content.asp&CID=534275

Guest johnchampion

Might as well be this guy.

If Corley is staying down south, Trattou is looking hard at BC, this could be the guy that joins Neal and hopefully Ben Martin.

Guest TDJesus3

I would love to land, Neal, Jones, and Martin

All three of those guys are going to be beasts, people are starting to compare Neal to a young Julius Peppers and both Jones and Martin are wrecking balls

Guest TDJesus3

Jiggs over on irishenvy.com, has been on this guy for a long time...i didnt think we had that good of chance but looks like we are in pretty good shape

I'd like to see him at the middle linebacker spot. I've read countless times, that we need a bigger guy in the middle adn i think he would be a great fit for it. He already has the size. that's one of the things the coaching staff is kinda worried about is not having size in the middle.

Guest johnchampion

Jones is kind of a "tweener" recruit and is similar to Kerry Neal....only better. With the likehihood that he'll grow a bit more, he probably projects to DE in college.

Perhaps if the Texas class fills up and ND loses Trattou to BC or even Martin to tOSU, Jones could end up swinging to CW and ND.

This guy has to be considered a Texas lean, though.

I am curious how many spots Texas has open this year. They already have 19 commits for the 07 class.

Texas only has 1 other DE offer out (a commit), and have 3 LB offers out (1 commit). So I am guessing they are going to have room for him.

Texas stocked up on DE and LB in last years class, so that may help us.

Guest NDLawJAG

Last I heard, Texas could not take the max... I was thinking that I heard they had low 20's (21 or 22) sholarships to give out for '07.

I know they took 25 last year and 37 the two years before that. That would be a total of 62, leaving 23 scholarships. I'm not sure how many of the 62 people have left (failed out, transfered, etc.) or how many of the 18 players they before that will have a fifth year.

Now, I hope three or four more players that ND has no interest in will commit to Texas.

I found something on Jones this morning that ties him to Tray Allen. If Mack Brown is telling these guys they better commit quick before the class fills up, Jones doesn't seem to be jumping.

"Though Richetti Jones and Allen were planning on announcing together, the talented offensive guard says he wants to get his decision out of the way...last time he spoke with Richetti, the defensive end said he wasn't ready to decide without a few more visits."

Guest johnchampion

Based on these last three posts, I get a sense that Jones is looking at all of the options available to him. It seems as though these Texas schoolboys get the Longhorn offer and all of their hopes and dreams come true.

Jones seems like he is trying to make an informed decision and a good one. I have to think if his position(s) are loaded in Austin already, he will look at the Aggies, Sooners....and maybe Irish.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCIrish

I was curious too about our chances. Despite the offer and subsequent visit from Weis, ND is not listed as one of his choices....

Given his alleged ties to Allen and Texas offer, I suppose the proverbial "no news is good news," but I wish somone had a better idea of where we stand with him....

We've done well with high profile California recruits javascript:emoticon('8)') and I hoping the trend continues in Texas and Florida....

• 1 month later...