Clausen News

Guest TDJesus3

Guest TDJesus3

SportingNews weighs in with this: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=76436

Weis could have big recruiting victory in hand

March 27, 2006

The recruiting race for sensational QB Jimmy Clausen might have ended with a leisurely jog from one drill to another USC's practice last Tuesday.

When John David Booty suffered back spasms last week after a simple trot between drills in the Trojans' opening practice, Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis might have landed the most coveted quarterback prospect since Ron Powlus was penciled in for multiple Heisman trophies in 1993.

Clausen, expected to make his decision before the end of May, recently said Notre Dame and USC were his favorites in the recruiting battle, with South Carolina a Hail Mary away. So how does Booty's injury affect a QB completing his junior year of high school? Here's how the scenario will unfold, according to some insiders.

Clausen has been leaning heavily toward Notre Dame for a while, at least since a junior-day visit to South Bend in January. And why not? Weis is a miracle worker with quarterbacks, having turned Tom Brady into a three-time Super Bowl winner and making Brady Quinn a whole lot of future scratch once he finishes his career at Notre Dame.

But hold on, Pete Carroll might have a thing or two to say. After all, Carroll coached Carson Palmer into the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft, and Matt Leinart is certain to be a top-five pick this year. And don't forget Matt Cassell, who threw all of 33 passes while backing up Leinart in college and still was still drafted by the New England Patriots.

Sure, Carroll is a defensive-minded guy, and Norm Chow gets a lot of credit for Palmer and Leinart, but USC's offense didn't miss a beat last year after Chow left for the Tennessee Titans. USC threw for 319.8 yards per game last season, compared with 330.3 for Notre Dame, but averaged 12.4 more points per game, all while finding touches for Reggie Bush and LenDale White. Let's just say that playing quarterback for USC ain't too shabby, either.

But one USC player makes this recruiting race a tad slanted toward the Irish. His name is Mark Sanchez, and he was the nation's No. 1 quarterback in the 2005 recruiting class.

Sanchez redshirted last year, learning under Leinart, and was expected to compete with Booty this spring for USC's starting job. The job now seemingly belongs to Sanchez; with Booty rumored to be done for the spring, another three- or four-year starter could be in place for the Trojans.

Do I think Clausen is afraid of the competition at USC? Nope. But with Sanchez all but entrenched as the starter for this fall -- and the fact that Sanchez would be two years ahead of Clausen in knowing USC's offense -- let's just say Weis has to be even more confident than usual.

Would things be different had Booty stayed healthy? Maybe not, as Clausen has been a big fan of Weis' offense from the start, but this latest occurrence in LA might have erased any of Clausen's doubts.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrishCupaJoe

I must admit, I don't really get how the injury of Booty actually strengthens the chances for Weis getting Clausen. Now there's less competition at USC. :?: Just don't get it.

Guest IrishCupaJoe

Thanks Scotty. I don't really have the "football mind" that many of you have. I guess that does make sense. Of course, any future injury to Sanchez would put Clausen in the top spot right off, without having to fight Booty for the job, yet, I do understand the logic of the article now.

I'm with Joe. I don't think the Booty injury helps us. It just makes it where JC is one injury away from seeing the field if Booty's injury is bad. An injury to Sanchez is all that would stand in his way.

On that note, I say JC is Irish and the announcement will be public shortly after BG game.

Poin taken in regards to only having Sanchez standing in his way. What the injury really means is that Sanchez will have a year of playing time on JC if he goes to SC. That leaves him 3 years of PT left, w/ JC as the backup. With Quinn leaving when JC comes in, JC won't have to compete w/ anyone with significant playing time (unless an injury forces someone into the mix). Granted, Frazer and Double D will have a year in the system, but a returning starter wont be in his way.

Guest Domer

I have to echo what the others have said. I don't think this makes the chances any better for Clausen to end up at ND...

That said though, I don't think it hurts the chances either. There's still a level of competition there that doesn't exist at ND...

Guest TDJesus3

More than any other recruit this kid has to be thinking who is going to put him in the NFL, heis considered by most, pay sites, espn, fox, cbs, as the can't miss prospect, sol if Im JC i say who can get me to where I want to go, that leaves him with USC and ND, USC because even there backups get drafted and they have shown that they can produce QB's along with every other position, and ND because we have the QB guru. SC is closer to home, but I jsut get the feeling that this kid looks at Tom Brady, Brady Quinn, and all those super bowl rings Weis has and says Im Irish, unlike Tyler I think its less about being close to home, and more about getting where he wants to go and Im sure this kid knows if anyone can make him live up to the hype its Weis...Im still saying he is Irish and im still saying its public sometime around the BG game

It is also worth noting that the Clausen's contacted ND first (before ND was allowed to contact them). They like what ND is about, and are interested as a family.......the same applies to USC though.

JC is not a kid that is going to worry about the depth chart. As talented as he is, and as hyped as he has been, he has to believe that there is no QB in the land that he can't beat out of a spot.

Guest TDJesus3

Danger and all other DD members, if you are new or jusst like blue and skeptical of most stuff, one thing to learn, do not be skeptical of Broke when he says something is. If its opinon he says opinon, otherwise have faith in broke, if he says it take it as true.

Danger and all other DD members, if you are new or jusst like blue and skeptical of most stuff, one thing to learn, do not be skeptical of Broke when he says something is. If its opinon he says opinon, otherwise have faith in broke, if he says it take it as true.

I hope you forgot about my McCoy news.

I don't know but I do NOT think that Clausen and Tyler are a package deal. I think that Tyler's preference is to stay out west but circumstances may not allow that to be his best option. I think that Clausen is more tied to Benn and Austin than Tyler. Actually, I think that Benn is tied to Clausen and Austin is probably tied to Benn. That's a hell of a threesome. A stud QB, a stud WR, and a stud DT (by the way, we could probably use one---or 3).