Still having trouble with KElly

Is he really legit? I know his defense lost 10 of 11 starters but I watched that Illinoise game and they ran up and down the field at ease on Cinci. I really want ND to have a dominant defense before they have a prolific offense. I fear that he might become Weis number 2? any thoughts to change my current feelings? i actually think i like Petterson or Patterson over kelly.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im another one not sure on Kelly.

i dont want to see ND going after the up and comer because i dont see them as being for sure. i think ND needs to put their foot down and get someone more for sure.

Ty Willingham was an up and comer from Stanford, and look what he did.. or didnt do.

im not saying Kelly would for sure fail, but id be alot more confident with a big time coach with experience from another top program.. like Stoops. i hate to have to settle for someone less like Kelly.

whoever the next coach is i would think it has to be a defense guy.. and ive seen too many points being put on the board against Cincinnati.

I'm of the opinion that Kelly is going to be an excellent football coach at an elite program, whether that be Notre Dame or somewhere else.

Too many people are viewing Kelly as a "miss". That's not the truth. If Florida fans had went after Stoops in 2004 like we are right now, and ended up having to settle for Urban Meyer (and pissing and moaning about it), people would be calling them crazy.

Kelly is a great head football coach, and the next program who gets him will be very happy with the hire.

Is he really legit? I know his defense lost 10 of 11 starters but I watched that Illinoise game and they ran up and down the field at ease on Cinci. I really want ND to have a dominant defense before they have a prolific offense. I fear that he might become Weis number 2? any thoughts to change my current feelings? i actually think i like Petterson or Patterson over kelly.

yeah, i have a problem too with a guy who is presently 11-0, in 5th place, poised for a BCS bowl, and has taken a group of ragtag underacheivers to the next level. i couldn't agree with you more................

yeah, i have a problem too with a guy who is presently 11-0, in 5th place, poised for a BCS bowl, and has taken a group of ragtag underacheivers to the next level. i couldn't agree with you more................

yea but in the Big East, and he has yet to have a big bowl win. He lost to Va Tech last year. When he wins a BCS bowl this year then ill say he's legit

Kelly is legit enough if we swing and miss with the biggest of names. He is also a helluva lot more legit then the last batch of hires we've had.

I personally prefer patterson over him because of pattersons defensive prowess but Kelly would still be a big time upgrade.

yea but in the Big East, and he has yet to have a big bowl win. He lost to Va Tech last year. When he wins a BCS bowl this year then ill say he's legit

lol, brutha he's only been in one big bowl. he's 33-6 at cincinatti. i think he's more than ready to move up..................

lol, brutha he's only been in one big bowl. he's 33-6 at cincinatti. i think he's more than ready to move up..................

i guess your right cause Cinci if i remeber correctly blew that game. Plus now that i think about Urban only beat a 8-4 Pitt team in the Fiesta Bowl before he came to Florida. So I guess kelly would be good choice. As long as he wins I guess it doesn't matter how good his D is.

If Notre Dame gets Stoops or Brian Kelly, then they've hit a home run with the coaching selection.

I don't normally like to make proclomations, but I'm seeing far too many people see "not getting Urban or Stoops" equating to "ND sucks/is cheap/blew this."

In fact, the only people who seem to not think ND hitting one out of the park with Kelly is ND fans themselves. Brian Kelly is a FANTASTIC football coach.

and yet, ND loses to Big East teams...at least he beats who he's suppose to beat (which is everyone in the Big East)....good enough start for me

considering he lost ten starters on D from last year, he seems to be doin' ok..........

He started out on the defensive side of the ball as defensive backs coach at Grand Valley State, then 2 years as defensive coordinator before assuming HC duties - I think with the talent he'd have access to at ND, he could get it done on defense.

Oh, and at 48, he's got 19 years as HC on his resume - I think he's ready for the spotlight, if he becomes our choice - far from a swing & miss if it comes to that.:canada:

If Notre Dame gets Stoops or Brian Kelly, then they've hit a home run with the coaching selection.

I don't normally like to make proclomations, but I'm seeing far too many people see "not getting Urban or Stoops" equating to "ND sucks/is cheap/blew this."

In fact, the only people who seem to not think ND hitting one out of the park with Kelly is ND fans themselves. Brian Kelly is a FANTASTIC football coach.

+1!!!!

Far far to many of us saying if we dont get stoops or meyer then its 04' all over again. It was correct to ask the biggest of names if their interested, it shows your committed to winning again. And if they arent interested so be it you still ask, doesnt mean you suck at your job and failed miserably just because they say thanks but no thanks.

Kelly or Patterson would be the strongest hire since Holtz BY FAR

whatever Kelly has done with where he has been or what he could do in the future, he still has never won a national championship like Stoops.

im not sure how far Kelly is under Stoops, but IMO he is not right there with Stoops.

He's actually won TWO National Championships...HAHAHA

And dont get me on the, it was only Div II...while Div-1A is a totally different beast. The core principles are still the same, fundamentals, strategy, and emotion...it's not like he took a bunch of D1 players and won the D2 championship - which, I should add, is a REAL championship wiht a playoff - it's a level playing field. I would be stoked with Kelly.

I think that peope are being too critical of Kelly's defense. He is undefeated...he has a whole new D crew. I know its been a few years, but he built a defense at Grand Valley that was the best run D in the country and one of the best overall. I have seen this guy coach first hand, he knows what he is doing, he can develop players, will torch a coach in a heartbeat if he's not getting it done, and does it was a burning desire to WIN. I have been on the fence...do I want Stoops or Kelly? I have to say today I felt a bit relieved thinking it was going to be Kelly. I will be very happy with either of these guys!