D killed Charlie

I can't believe anybody watching that game could blame it on Charlie. He did an excellent job. As usual the D couldn't stop the other team. That's not on him. Ultimately it always falls on the head coach,but that isn't really the case. He coaches the offense and they hired others to coach defense.He can't control that side of the ball. He did his job, but because the D sucks he gets fired. I can't believe how he has been treated at ND. He turned a miserable team in to one than can compete with anybody, we just can't finish. We're that close and now start over again. I see no success as long as we fire every coach in five years. Are we better off now than when Ty left, Hell yes. Spend the money on the best D coordinator in the country and we win the National Championship. I feel for him watching that miserable defense after we put up 38. He has done an admirable job and ultimately was fired because of the d. The fans thought he was the next coming of Knute Rockney and then treated him like crap. Who in the hell would want this pressure. If you don't win the title,your done. We will not have a better offense than we have had under Charlie. This witchunt may be ND's undoing completley.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe anybody watching that game could blame it on Charlie. He did an excellent job. As usual the D couldn't stop the other team. That's not on him. Ultimately it always falls on the head coach,but that isn't really the case. He coaches the offense and they hired others to coach defense.He can't control that side of the ball. He did his job, but because the D sucks he gets fired. I can't believe how he has been treated at ND. He turned a miserable team in to one than can compete with anybody, we just can't finish. We're that close and now start over again. I see no success as long as we fire every coach in five years. Are we better off now than when Ty left, Hell yes. Spend the money on the best D coordinator in the country and we win the National Championship. I feel for him watching that miserable defense after we put up 38. He has done an admirable job and ultimately was fired because of the d. The fans thought he was the next coming of Knute Rockney and then treated him like crap. Who in the hell would want this pressure. If you don't win the title,your done. We will not have a better offense than we have had under Charlie. This witchunt may be ND's undoing completley.

it sucks, but we have no choice...............

there have been numerous offensive play calls that have been mistakes. that is on Weis.

ND did have a great offense, but that doesnt mean Weis made all the right moves/calls on offense.

the defense has been bad and thats not all totally on Weis, but he is the head coach.

maybe this is what happens when you hire an offensive coordinator from the NFL with no head coaching experience.

Weis did bring in Corwin Brown and he was supposed to be good.. but apparently not.

Nobody has questioned Charlie's offense, but that is only 1/3 of the game. Its Charlie's lack of attention to detail that is costing the team. We have seen Weis and the team make the same mistakes over and over again, because Charlie said himself he doesn't change the way he does things. This team has lacked in defense and red zone offense/short yardage all year. The player development has been lackluster and this cant be on anyone but Charlie. The Special Teams has been subpar as well. The most frustrating things of all are a) CW's lack of ability to motivate a team. AND b) Not being able to bury opponents when we have a chance ie. Michigan, MSU, UCONN, Boston College, Purdue, Stanford.

Our short yardage calls are atrocious. That singlehandedly stalled most drives that could have continued during Charlie's tenure. It cost us the first navy game, too.

Who else cringed when it was 3rd and 2, knowing Hughes was getting the ball on a run to the right side...when JC handed off, I said there goes the game except in not so nice terms as my wife refused to watch the rest of the game with me....

You're exactly right that the downfall of Charlie Weis is a direct result of his team's defenses. Charlie really is a phenomenal offensive coach. His offense is dynamic and fun to watch (although the turn stiles at the tackle positions have been a blight this year). Charlie's offenses, when given a talented quaterback w/ experience, produces points on the board.

I don't know that Charlie ever understood how to coach a defense though, and sadly, the coordinators he's hired haven't been very effective. I don't think the schematic shift Tentuta implemented this year was particularly helpful.

In any event, it all falls on the shoulders of the head coach. It's his responsibility to make the hires on the defensive side of the ball (and over all phases of the game) and get it done.

I think it's sad, but Charlie's failure to understand coaching defense (coupled w/ poor d coordinator hires) is probably the single greatest contributor to his demise at ND.

Who else cringed when it was 3rd and 2, knowing Hughes was getting the ball on a run to the right side...when JC handed off, I said there goes the game except in not so nice terms as my wife refused to watch the rest of the game with me....

I cringed too....and then the epithets came out and wifey and baby mosied their way on upstairs....haha

Completely agree with every post that has responded. It's good to see that even wave realizes that the offensive play calling was horrible (I say you wave because I know you were a CW supporter not too long ago).

The hand off to Hughes reminded me the calls CW used to make when Schwapp was here. Sad to end the season like this.

I don't understand why people are so willing to make excuses for the guy who said that he wouldn't accept any excuses. He was a great guy off of the field with a lot of good deeds done. He recruited some great classes. He wasn't particularly endearing to fans aside from that. To me personally I found his brash, condescending attitude to be somewhat empty when he couldn't back it up on the field. Would you be fired at your job for underperforming and failing to live upto expectations? Ultimately it boils down to one thing: He just couldn't get us to where we hoped and he promised.

Yeah, Muschamp is the annointed one one there at Texas. But what a difference he could make here.

I have grown tired of who we have at the helm on defense. I know there is love for Corwin, but....

love for corwin????? that is the problem robert. no one and i mean no one has held this guy accountable one bit for the demise of this defense. it has gotten worse over the last three years, til we have landed here. i have never seen a defense sooooooooooo soft with no fundamentals at this school. EMBARRASSING. someone needs to start pointing fingers at this fraud......................

love for corwin????? that is the problem robert. no one and i mean no one has held this guy accountable one bit for the demise of this defense. it has gotten worse over the last three years, til we have landed here. i have never seen a defense sooooooooooo soft with no fundamentals at this school. EMBARRASSING. someone needs to start pointing fingers at this fraud......................

Good! I at times tread lightly not wanting to overstate...but our hopes were so high when Tenuta was brought in. Why...because his defense was effective against us?

As for Brown, what in the hell happen here? Was there too much of a conflict between Tenuta and Brown? Did they cancel one another out...effectively hurting the defensive schemes altogether?

But then we do need to ask, with a straight face..."what defensive scheme did we have?"

Guest SirJohn

Thank you and I agree Schell. Teflon Brown had a pass, free ride and the guy I feel ruined our D. No one but no one has pointed a finger at him but a handful of us. I'd give him a finger for ruiningthe team.

Getting to the personalities mentioned in this thread, I personally love Charlie'sand as well Tenuta's. I wouldn't pick a coach because he was "loveable." This isn't picking a puppy out for the children.

atrain's remarks were right on the nose.

10 of 12 games were decided by about 7 points, statisaticly less and I find that remarkable. The D continued putting us in a hole and we blame Charlie because of one call (Hughes) or someone else. That's one call out of many, many made in a game that someone says we "shoulda." No offense to those that said so but that's all hindsight.

The media and I surely hate to say this but our fanbase was disgusting in it's treatment of our Head Coach. If a change is made ND will get someone less just because of that treatment.

Once again it was a game that held everyone on the edge of their seat. I love exciting games and tho a loss dang was it an exciting one. Win by 40 and I'd be one bored fan.

SJ

Thank you and I agree Schell. Teflon Brown had a pass, free ride and the guy I feel ruined our D. No one but no one has pointed a finger at him but a handful of us. I'd give him a finger for ruiningthe team.

Getting to the personalities mentioned in this thread, I personally love Charlie'sand as well Tenuta's. I wouldn't pick a coach because he was "loveable." This isn't picking a puppy out for the children.

atrain's remarks were right on the nose.

10 of 12 games were decided by about 7 points, statisaticly less and I find that remarkable. The D continued putting us in a hole and we blame Charlie because of one call (Hughes) or someone else. That's one call out of many, many made in a game that someone says we "shoulda." No offense to those that said so but that's all hindsight.

The media and I surely hate to say this but our fanbase was disgusting in it's treatment of our Head Coach. If a change is made ND will get someone less just because of that treatment.

Once again it was a game that held everyone on the edge of their seat. I love exciting games and tho a loss dang was it an exciting one. Win by 40 and I'd be one bored fan.

SJ

Nice post Sir John. Well put. Except that once in awhile a 40 point butt whoppin' is good for the soul.