Griese Talks to Kelly!

Purdue Bob was making the introduction to the cincy- illini game---he said he was on the field talking to Brian Kelly--- and mentioning that "NOTRE DAME THING"--- Kelly told Griese we will know in 7 to 10 days !!

that may be the most up front thing i have heard from any of the candidates--- sounds to me like KELLY IS SOLD--- but he may be #2 and is going to have to wait till next week to see if the job is his or someone else's--- at least thats what i read into it--- when he says we will know in 7 to 10 days--- man that sounds like one of us-- someone who is ANXIOUS TO FIND OUT--- personally i would prefer stoops-- mostly based on recruiting prowess and the much harder competition of the big 12---- but KELLY would be a great consellation prize--- i guess we have an entire week to wait for the FINAL ANSWER!_____ aloha go irish!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rocketsan22

I think the situation played out like this: Urban's probably already turned us down, Stoops has been offered, if he declines, it's Kelley's job.

I think Kelley turns out to be our guy but I'd love to see Stoops bust out of the tunnel in our colours...

I think the situation played out like this: Urban's probably already turned us down, Stoops has been offered, if he declines, it's Kelley's job.

I think Kelley turns out to be our guy but I'd love to see Stoops bust out of the tunnel in our colours...

Sounds like a win win win for me, I know there is a lot of anti kelly out there but any of these would be head and shoulders above anything we've experimented with recently.

well then guys you think its fair to say 50/50 kelly or stoops???

and 80/20 that it will be one or the other??

given the way our last few transitions have gone i guess we should be very happy we seem to be in CONTROL right now--- SEEM being the active word!

one question on KELLY--- he is his own OC i like that---he has done more with less -- that shows alot---

BUT --SINCE HE HASNT REALLY BEEN A BIGTIME RECRUITER AT CINCY__ARE WE REAL CONFIDENT HE CAN RECRUIT TOP 10 CLASSES---OR DO WE COUNT ON HIM TO MAKE IT WORK WITHOUT THAT?

aloha go irish!

The only knock I'd have on Kelly and it's not necessarily a knock, we just dont have proof yet, is in recruiting. Cincy doesnt even have a practice field and Kelly has had the best recruiting classes ever there, but they still havent cracked top 25 or anything.

Stoops lost how many straight BCS bowl games? And the majority of those games, his team was the favorite. I dont think we could go wrong with either guy. I'm just giving the other side of the argument that Kelly lost last yr's BCS bowl.

I would love Stoops b/c he gives ND that proven guy who has already recruited nationally, but hopefully he can assemble a good enough staff to come to ND b/c there are some concerns that his great staffs have been a big part of his success.

Id rather have Kelly though b/c he's set on developing players and has won wherever he's went. He has 1 losing season in coaching, and that was his first year at Central Michigan who was brutal before he got there. And as CW has said before, ND recruits itself. If Kelly puts in the time which he undoubtedly will then he should have no prob recruiting here.

But I'm on the fence. If ND got Stoops or Kelly, I'd be ecstatic. Same with Urbie. I also wouldnt mind Gary Patterson, but outside of those 4 guys. Id prob be skeptical of our new hire.

Guest rocketsan22

BUT --SINCE HE HASNT REALLY BEEN A BIGTIME RECRUITER AT CINCY__ARE WE REAL CONFIDENT HE CAN RECRUIT TOP 10 CLASSES---OR DO WE COUNT ON HIM TO MAKE IT WORK WITHOUT THAT?

One would assume it will be much easier to lure top tier talent to Notre Dame than it would Cincy...

Couple of things to think about.....

I would welcome Stoops but I'm not sure he would be the best choice based on the same info that ziggy stated above. Has managed to go to a lot of BCS games but he has lost a lot of them. Blown out in a NC game against SC and I think a lot of opposing coaches have figured him out.

Also we may not have to wait for the SEC championship game. Everyone is taking for gratned that Florida and Bama will be undefeated but I think FSU has a real shot at beating Florida. Call me crazy but this is a rivalry game and FSU has the talent to beat them.

personally, i want kelly...........i know stoops has the record, but this guy is hungry. really hungry. i like that. his special teams are incredible....... the guy can coach........

I like the hungry factor. Its the one reservation I have about Stoops. I agree I think Kelly is hungry to prove he can succeed at a national program.

I worry about Kelly for two reasons - his defenses and the lack of a running game. I am and always will be convinced to be a year in year out contendor you must be able to run the ball when you want and Kelly is much like Charlie he has no desire to run the ball.

I've always liked strong running games at ND. 2 things you should always be able to recruit at ND...running backs and offensive linemen. And of course all of the good things that come with a running game. When we don't have one we are just missing out on some natural advantages.