Football Calculations

Just a little off the regular subjects that have dominated our days and nights here.

As an Algebra teacher, I can't tell you how proud I am of how well DD posters use percentages, averages, and even the "greater than" and "less than" signs. Good job boys and girls: we can have snacks and watch a(n) (educational) movie tomorrow in class.

Now, can anyone tell me what would be the solution set for this equation: |-5x - 5 | < 12 ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little off the regular subjects that have dominated our days and nights here.

As an Algebra teacher, I can't tell you how proud I am of how well DD posters use percentages, averages, and even the "greater than" and "less than" signs. Good job boys and girls: we can have snacks and watch a(n) (educational) movie tomorrow in class.

Now, can anyone tell me what would be the solution set for this equation: |-5x - 5 | < 12 ?

-3 through 1

Edited by money

Im not good at math. But is it x>-3.4?

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner. Yes, {x| -3 2/5 < x < 1 2/5} or, if you really like decimals, {x| -3.4 < x < 1.4}.

Now, Mr. Superchargers, I can't seem to find your name in my gradebook...

I understand how you got the -3.4 but what is the rule to this problem. I think the bracket things messed me up.

I understand how you got the -3.4 but what is the rule to this problem. I think the bracket things messed me up.

Since the original equation involved an absolute value, you have to set up and solve two equations:

-5x - 5 < 12

AND

-5x - 5 > -12

The final solution set is all the real numbers between those two solutions. The bracket things are just mathematical shorthand to say, "the solution is all x such that x is between (greater than) -3 2/5 and (less than) 1 2/5."

Edited by 2lakes

Since the original equation involved an absolute value, you have to set up and solve two equations:

-5x - 5 < 12

AND

-5x - 5 > -12

The final solution set is all the real numbers between those two solutions. The bracket things are just mathematical shorthand to say, "the solution is all x such that x is between (greater than) -3 2/5 and (less than) 1 2/5."

Got it thanks, gotta take the GRE soon so any new knowledge cannot hurt.