I want to post an update about Kelly

Guest Anewera

That's true but have you considered that perhaps there are canidates that are just as good who are willing to come now instead of waiting on the others who are just about equal?In that case,I'm taking the guy who is willing to come early.

Sorry. I'll take the chance on waiting for Meyer to finish what he started. Maybe this recruiting class won't be as good as if he had more time but I think the big picture of the following years would be worth the losses if any this recruiting season.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what I am gathering as the consensus is that if we have to wait for a coach to finish his season we are giving him a big middle finger? Meyer and Tebow are publicly very close, and genuinely care for each other. I'm sure its a very similar situation for most of the other kids on the team. Put yourselves in the place of Tebow. Would you, or would you not feel betrayed and abandoned when your coach left you on your own for a bigger paycheck? Is this really the message ND wants to send? Really??!!

If you get that coach then yes im all for it, i just worry about waiting for a guy and losing a recruiting class when in the end hes gonna leave you at the alter anyway. What if we wait until january and then meyer says thanks but no thanks?

But i understand your point if you can get a guy like meyer it would be worth the risk of the wait. My only concern was if we get to january he says no and we end up with the same coach that we couldve had a month earlier (with a better recruiting class in tact).

Then again, he coached Utah in their BCS bowl right before he came to the gators and that worked out pretty well for UF.

It seems that a great deal of inside sources have been misled about his current situation.It was thought that he was completely out of the running last night and after a few calls,he in fact is not.

There were multiple sources spreading falsehoods about Kelly and because of that,Notre Dame was backing away.Now,it seems that after some communication,things have been sorted out and he remains a viable canidate.Below is an example of one of the people who were perpetuating these rumors.His name is Allen Wallace.Although he is correct that many rumors on Kelly are now lacking in truth,I still have complete confidence that Weis has been let go already.Again,it seems there was a concentrated effort by many to discredit Kelly:

"I'm hearing that the information distributed about Brian Kelly concerning off-the-field concerns is totally false. I was purposefully vague about it in my Kyle Prater Recruiting Update, but still now find myself as part of the misinformation train. I am now told that Notre Dame is still interested in Brian Kelly.

That doesn't mean he's gonna get the job of course. But it does mean than a certain off-the-field situation which was maliciously generated by ill-meaning people and filtered its way to myself has no basis in fact.

I also now have much less confidence in any list of potential Notre Dame successors as that has been tainted in my mind by what I have recently been told about the Kelly misinformation.

This also causes me to retract my earlier position that a firing decision has been made and that Charlie Weis has been told. I would say now that no firing decision has been made and that Weis hasn't been told. "

Thank you for the update, good info to know...

Im glad the rumors are false. I think he's a great coach and could care less if he has a hop tempor, most coaches do. He constantly beats teams with equal or far better talent. He's eventually going to be snatched up by someone because Cincy cant match the dollars that the big boys can come up with. UC's best recruiting class was ranked 51. WVU has had 23, 22, 36, 18. Pitt has had 17, 31, 25, 8. He just beat WVU and if he beats Pitt he's no fluke. I hope he's still in the running if Charlie is gone.

I can not say I know a ton about Brian Kelly. This is purely my gut feeling on the situation. I do not believe he is the right hire for Notre Dame, anyone that does please tell me why you think so. I would be willing to bet if he got the job he woudl do ok but not this great savior that some think. yes he has turned around Cincy. but hey franchione turned around TCU made them national power. but how did he do at Texas A&M, terrible. We have no chance at getting this guy but the guy I like and I know it is a different schem than were are use too, and that is Paul Johnson. take these tough kids from the midwest mixed with the speed you can get out of Chicago area and we could be good. Play good defense ( were all your pro development would take place) with your best athletes. Take your scrappers and use them on offense and get after people. Just my Opinion. i have no problem with Charlie Wies, actually been a big supporter. But it might be time for a change, not that someone will do so much better, but he has had his chance. Let see what the next guy can do.

I can not say I know a ton about Brian Kelly. This is purely my gut feeling on the situation. I do not believe he is the right hire for Notre Dame, anyone that does please tell me why you think so. I would be willing to bet if he got the job he woudl do ok but not this great savior that some think. yes he has turned around Cincy. but hey franchione turned around TCU made them national power. but how did he do at Texas A&M, terrible. We have no chance at getting this guy but the guy I like and I know it is a different schem than were are use too, and that is Paul Johnson. take these tough kids from the midwest mixed with the speed you can get out of Chicago area and we could be good. Play good defense ( were all your pro development would take place) with your best athletes. Take your scrappers and use them on offense and get after people. Just my Opinion. i have no problem with Charlie Wies, actually been a big supporter. But it might be time for a change, not that someone will do so much better, but he has had his chance. Let see what the next guy can do.

read my post up above. The guy constantly wins and often beats teams with better talent than his own. Its not just better talent but a lot better talent. He's taken guys that nobody wanted and put them in BCS games. I know the BE sucks compared to other conferences but they arent as bad everyone thinks. His team is at the top of the conference with virtually unknown players. He gets his guys to play hard. Much of the rumors about him are just that, rumors. They have been generated by opposing fans. Every guy on ND's list has skeletons. He's one that might actually leave his team for bigger money. Forget about Meyer and Stoops for now. Theres several guys I like more than him but he's the best guy I think we actually have a shot of getting. I do think he is a lot better HC than Charlie.

I would wait for Meyer, as long as he flat out has told the administration "I'm coming" and the paperwork was finished.

I love Kelly, and think he'd be great here, but don't know how I'd feel waiting until after his BCS bowl, if Cincy goes.

I think the only guy worth waiting for is Meyer. With the Whittingham/Kelly/Petersen group, I would expect anyone hired out of their group to leave their program before the bowl. And I think all of them are pretty much level with each other, and would be ok with any of them.

Without going to far into it,there are a few different groups who don't want Kelly at Notre Dame no matter what.Some,because they are worried he'd win,others because they dislike him,and a few more because they don't want to lose him.

Put me in the group that wants more than Kelly... Not saying I wouldn't be happy with BK, but I'd be happier if ND landed someone with big college experience...

**that being said I don't take pleasure in hearing malicious rumors about candidates unless it's RichRod

So what I am gathering as the consensus is that if we have to wait for a coach to finish his season we are giving him a big middle finger? Meyer and Tebow are publicly very close, and genuinely care for each other. I'm sure its a very similar situation for most of the other kids on the team. Put yourselves in the place of Tebow. Would you, or would you not feel betrayed and abandoned when your coach left you on your own for a bigger paycheck? Is this really the message ND wants to send? Really??!!

ya mean like the feeling of abandonment omar hunter might have felt when FLA head coach urban meyer told him that FLA's dline coach greg mattison would not be leaving for the NFL and that omar could sign with FLA knowing that mattison would be there and then mattison leaves after NSD to become a coach with the ravens? ya mean like that??

ya mean like the feeling of abandonment omar hunter might have felt when FLA head coach urban meyer told him that FLA's dline coach greg mattison would not be leaving for the NFL and that omar could sign with FLA knowing that mattison would be there and then mattison leaves after NSD to become a coach with the ravens? ya mean like that??

Yea, I didn't know about that until I read it on here. That's pretty crappy.

Yea, I didn't know about that until I read it on here. That's pretty crappy.

sorry if i came on a little heavy there, gonkers, as you said you didn't know about that incident but this is the kind of thing we have to remember about urban. the guy is a known liar to kids and the spikes incident strained his creditability even further. i aid this once before, pat forde called him out on it!! when pat forde calls out an SEC coach on ESPN, well, you know it's bad.

i just want people to be clear-eyed about this urban stuff. the guy has UNQUESTIONABLY done dodgy things that CW, to his credit, has stayed away from. if we get him, ND runs the risk of being just like every other big-time program. a lot of people on here are more than fine with that. i'm just speaking for the minority who don't think that's what ND needs, ever.

we don't have to sell out ND and what it stands for to win again. i refuse to believe otherwise...

Yea, I wasn't saying i wanted Meyer, but I was using him as an example about how coaches shouldn't leave their team before the true end of their season (bowl game). I can't remember but I think Rich Rod left before his bowl game, but that was a little different because the relationship between him and the school was severely strained.

BlackIrish, I'm on board with you regarding Meyer. A head coach should have integrity, especially in college. Hiring him would seem almost Faustian, as if you're so willing to attain that level of success again that you'd be willing to sell your soul for it.

Notre Dame doesn't need a coach that will make it a yearly contender at all costs. They need a coach that can adhere to the standards of the university and make them competitive to the point that they're consistently in the picture. No team is going to win a title every other year for decades at a time. No team is going to be in the top 5 every single year.

Respectability with the pinnacle within reach on occasion should be the goal.

Guest cpprhead59
My question... why do people want to smear Kelly? Who are they smearing him for?

Believe it or not, some of the people have their own agendas and that causes these leaks and terrible rumors to be started.

What happened to Anewera? now listed a "guest"?

Guest rocketsan22
Believe it or not, some of the people have their own agendas and that causes these leaks and terrible rumors to be started.

What happened to Anewera? now listed a "guest"?

He seemed to have a little hissy fit and left. It's a bit strange, but there ya have it.

I called his bluff in a PM and he took his ball and went home. He said Mods told him I was a bit of a board jerk. Tell me something I don't already know.

:roll: