Kelly's Skeletons...

HMFIC

Do you ever wonder why guys like Saban, Parcells, Ditka, Gruden, Mangini and others have jumped from job to job...They all win (strike mangini)...It's because that Schtick doesn't play well over a long period of time.

My opinion on the matter is that you can't find me a coach TODAY that is all fire and brimstone and can last at a program...

I'm not interested in hiring a coach for the next 5 years...I would rather hire a coach for the next 15 years

Mike Ditka coached the Bears for 10 years.

Jon Gruden was effectively "traded" from the Raiders to the Bucs -- I wouldn't consider that being shipped out because of his tactics.

Bill Belichick, a "fire and brimstone" guy most certainly, is in his 10th year as head coach of the Patriots.

Bill Parcells has won every where he goes -- and the teams he's left have been on HIS terms, not the other way around.

Fire and brimstone works, and these guys don't move around because it loses its effectiveness. Being a player's coach can also work (Pete Carroll) -- the key is getting the right guy for the program.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire and brimstone works, and these guys don't move around because it loses its effectiveness. Being a player's coach can also work (Pete Carroll) -- the key is getting the right guy for the program.

I agree with this statement, but do you think this current roster is going to flourish with the fire and brimstone guy ? Or do you think they were recruited by and want to play for a guy more like Weis...who in his own right is a loud foul mouthed coach who screams and yells... he just doesn't challenge his players to the extreme levels that Kelly does...

Is this roster too soft for a guy like Kelly...and if they are, are we in fact looking to completely rebuild the roster...I see the same problems we had with Willingham's players and Weis's players in the locker room only being amplified and repeated...that's my concern.

If I was to look at a coaching candidate...I would look for one who can develop this current roster, as well as build towards the future...not one or the other.

I agree with this statement, but do you think this current roster is going to flourish with the fire and brimstone guy ? Or do you think they were recruited by and want to play for a guy more like Weis...who in his own right is a loud foul mouthed coach who screams and yells... he just doesn't challenge his players to the extreme levels that Kelly does...

Is this roster too soft for a guy like Kelly...and if they are, are we in fact looking to completely rebuild the roster...I see the same problems we had with Willingham's players and Weis's players in the locker room only being amplified and repeated...that's my concern.

If I was to look at a coaching candidate...I would look for one who can develop this current roster, as well as build towards the future...not one or the other.

All coaches need to "bring the pain" occasionally. Pete Carroll, as player friendly as he is, has guys on his staff that are barkers and "fire and brimstone." Carroll has most certainly had to be a disiplinarian himself.

I don't think the team is too soft whatsoever -- look at the line and the attitude Verducci brings. Same thing with Tenuta -- except he hasn't been too effective.

The guy who comes in should turn a "soft" team into a rock hard team. Also, with the example you used about Kelly and his practices, the same thing was said about Carroll and Belichick/Parcells when they coached the Patriots; players said under Carroll, games were harder than practice, and under Belichick/Parcells, practices were harder than games. The latter two were far more successful than Poodle at New England, and I'd prefer the latter for Notre Dame -- I believe it was this way under the most successful coaches in South Bend.

I don't think the team is too soft whatsoever -- look at the line and the attitude Verducci brings. Same thing with Tenuta -- except he hasn't been too effective.

The guy who comes in should turn a "soft" team into a rock hard team. Also, with the example you used about Kelly and his practices, the same thing was said about Carroll and Belichick/Parcells when they coached the Patriots; players said under Carroll, games were harder than practice, and under Belichick/Parcells, practices were harder than games. The latter two were far more successful than Poodle at New England, and I'd prefer the latter for Notre Dame -- I believe it was this way under the most successful coaches in South Bend.

Carroll coaches in college right ?

We have a college team right ?

Parcells and Belidick are in the NFL right ?

Tenuta has tried that routine with this group already right ?

...And I'm supposed to believe that none of this is relevant with how it plays on the college versus the NFL level...or that this roster will now respond to it with someone else barking at them more consistantly and to a stronger level. ??

I'm sorry, but I just don't think he is a good fit... I can have that opinion.

Charlie Strong is my favorite candidate and believe he is the best man for the job.

We have to have a proven HC, no more coordinators. Please, I know it has worked out at other Universities but no time for another experiment in coordinator land.

again... I will point to our timeline of hiring a replacement and the reality that we aren't going to get Meyer or Stoops... meaning we would have to get a committment from Kelly, Wittingham, Patterson or Skip Holtz before the bowl season is over with or go into the new year with a lot of uncertainty in this recruiting class...and I would expect a lot more fallout after we name a new coach (no matter who it is)...

any way you cut it... it will be an interesting couple months in domerville.

again... I will point to our timeline of hiring a replacement and the reality that we aren't going to get Meyer or Stoops... meaning we would have to get a committment from Kelly, Wittingham, Patterson or Skip Holtz before the bowl season is over with or go into the new year with a lot of uncertainty in this recruiting class...and I would expect a lot more fallout after we name a new coach (no matter who it is)...

any way you cut it... it will be an interesting couple months in domerville.

It is going to be interesting couple of months. It will be very interesting couple of weeks to see what happens with Weis. If we make a move to remove Charlie then we better have some ready to introduce the next moment. We have to have the coach quick to try to keep the recruiting class in the fold....as much as possible

Edited by cali_domer
God told me to

Coach, don't have a defeatist attitude. That's all you're throwing out there. You are like a guy who doesn't want to be turned down by a girl, so you turn her down first. That's all you're doing, instead of putting yourself out there and taking a real chance at getting a real reward. I like people like that in life, though, because it means I can get ahead. Keep defeating yourself while I keep moving up the chain. Thanks!

As far as Kelly, he's done. He's out. Wanting to coach in the BCS game was part of his downfall. I hope he gets slutted.

Edited by irishwavend

Coach, don't have a defeatist attitude. That's all you're throwing out there. You are like a guy who doesn't want to be turned down by a girl, so you turn her down first. That's all you're doing, instead of putting yourself out there and taking a real chance at getting a real reward. I like people like that in life, though, because it means I can get ahead. Keep defeating yourself while I keep moving up the chain. Thanks!

As far as Kelly, he's done. He's out. Wanting to coach in the BCS game was part of his downfall. I hope he gets slutted.

So, what if he loses to Pitt and doesn't go to a BCS game? That seems like a poor decision by him.

And what does that mean about our chances with Urban Meyer, since I'm assuming that he'd want to coach in the National Title game if Bama gets there.

And what does that mean about our chances with Urban Meyer, since I'm assuming that he'd want to coach in the National Title game if Bama gets there.

He's still pissing around. Take it or leave it. You're a 2nd tier coach. As far as Urban, it's a totally different situation. When the guy recruits, he says, "Hey, I think my friends on my fingers say you want to come play for me." If you're not in the national title game, your bowl doesn't mean anything but a payout for the school. I think you could hardly hold it against Meyer to coach in the National Title, again. That, alone, should solidify the class.

As far as Kelly, it doesn't matter anyway. A few people are going to have to pass us up for him to get back in the running, and that's not going to happen.

Let's be clear here. Kelly has not been offered the coaching job. They likely asked him if he would be interested and he is giving mixed signals. That response is what has probably irritated folks and taken him out of contention. Regardless, Meyer hasalready been given the golden ticket to the 2012 title dance starring the Irish.

No contest anymore.

Swarbrick has been in contact with Kelly for over a year. At one point it was very clear he would be the choice and he has stated through his agent more than once that he would like to coach the bowl game if he's in the BCS. Swarbrick wants someone sooner. So no,he didn't have a contract waiting to be signed in front of him if you want to be that technical but he knew he could have the job if he wanted.

By BCS do you mean BCS title game or just any BCS bowl? Remeber though he did coach at utah in their BCS bowl and that worked out for the gators, i just hope JS thinks it through and knows what hes doing, wouldnt want to pass on UM if we could get him just because we didnt want to wait 3 weeks.

don't think you're on the same page with me.Swarbrick doesn't want to wait until the end of bowl season for Kelly but would wait until hell froze over for Meyer.I'm just saying Meyer is much more likely if they drop the SEC title game.

Ook i understand, thanks Anewera

Carroll coaches in college right ?

We have a college team right ?

Parcells and Belidick are in the NFL right ?

Tenuta has tried that routine with this group already right ?

...And I'm supposed to believe that none of this is relevant with how it plays on the college versus the NFL level...or that this roster will now respond to it with someone else barking at them more consistantly and to a stronger level. ??

I'm sorry, but I just don't think he is a good fit... I can have that opinion.

Charlie Strong is my favorite candidate and believe he is the best man for the job.

What the hell are you trying to say?

My argument is that fire and brimstone works -- both at the college and pro level.

I've used examples of college and pro coaches being successful in that regard. And then you ask questions having to do with college and pro? What exactly are you trying to say?

I've not once said that I think Kelly would or would not be a good fit, and it's typical of your posts lately to take what one poster says and turn it around on him as if he's trying to insult you. That's not the case here at all, so stop being so sensitive.

I'm simply saying that fire and brimstone work, and that being a player's coach can work in college, but not the pros. If anything, I was piggybacking off certain things you said.

Coach, you really need to chill. I know you love Weis and are disappointed things have turned sour, but don't let your reputation as a poster turn sour because you're itching for a fight.

don't think you're on the same page with me.Swarbrick doesn't want to wait until the end of bowl season for Kelly but would wait until hell froze over for Meyer.I'm just saying Meyer is much more likely if they drop the SEC title game.

So you're saying ND fans should be rooting HARD for Alabama in that game???