Kelly's Skeletons...

HMFIC

Are we sure that Lane Kiffin has "skeletons" in his closet either? I mean has he really done something that would warrant not hiring him? Sure he's bent the rules in recruiting, but who hasn't?

I guess I consider a skeleton to be some Tom Cable level assault at the minimum.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give it to Kiffin for bringing down the thunder. That's what you need in a head coach, not the Urban Meyers of the world who make excuses. Would armed robbery get you fired from a job? yeah. Therefore, you should be fired from the football team. Though I hate UT, thank you Lane Kiffin for doing what's best for society and not your team.

he didnt want to have to do that , wave. he had no choice...................

No one wants to punish their kids to that extent. But yea, I was honestly surprised that the first two are done and the third very well may be as well depending on his involvement. Either way he doesn't come to ND nor do I think he'd necessarily be a good fit. Bring on Urban so we can go down to UT every other year, tailgate with the Volunteer Navy on the river and beat those orange clad clowns like we did in '05.

A caller on Rivals radio said that he (Brian Kelly) had an affair while at GVSU, and consequently had a child from it.. If this is true, ND won't hire him..and supposedly, ND already knows this from a screening last year. Again, somebody heard this as it was reported on a Rivals radio station, discussing the CW situation...

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Don't shoot the deputy...just relaying what was said. And BTW, since when has the Catholic church ever paid attention to this verse? Forgiveness, in the Catholic church? Not unless you wear a collar...

little tidbit about Kelly...

My best friend played QB for Kelly during his dominating years at Grand Valley State (early 2000s). I used to go to every home game, and it was amazing to watch. In fact, I was just speaking to my buddy last night about what makes him so great. His short answer: he puts his players in a position to succeed every single play, every single game, every single season, on both sides of the ball. Now his methods of doing so are very tough on his players, as he uses fear to motivate. If you have a single mis-step in practice, he'll basically tell you that you're the worst player who ever played the game, in no uncertain terms. And if you do it again, you'll hear it again. He's a tyrant, but what he does is make practice a mental grind, but it serves to make everyone a believer in him, and the games on Saturday are a piece of cake compared to practice. I once asked my buddy if he's ever not that guy you hear at practice, and his reply was, "Yes. When he's in your living room recruiting you."

Some people might knock his defense, but I think it's a little misleading. At Grand Valley, the offense average 59.5 points per game, but the defense was Top-5 in the country every single year! They gave up like 13 points per game that same year. And they actually had more defensive pro prospects, especially in the secondary, each year than offensive. That being said, I don't want to compare him to Mike Leach at Texas Tech who gets pigeon-holed when it comes time for NFL GM's to figure out who is a pro prospect. These things are important to the kids he recruits, and he finds a way to run a very wide open offense while still having kids who are legitmate pro prospects...all while at Cincy! He was running the spread well before many other teams started doing it. It's so dynamic that, my buddy's dad, who is one of the best coaches in Michigan, and has been running a veer option for 15+ years, went exclusively to it about 4 years ago.

Back to the defense, as I digress. At Grand Valley, he had one of the best defenses in Division 2. At Central Michigan, he had a good defense for the MAC. At Cincy, we are now seeing the first year of him having a good defense for their schedule. I don't see why, especially with his recruiting ability, that he can't bring that same success on defense to Notre Dame.

Another positive is that much of his staff has been with him now every step of the way, and they know how to not only recruit talent for their scheme, but also how to win games.

One little tidbit is that he convinced former ND quarterback Demetrius Jones, who left ND because he wanted to play quarterback, and he should be a linebacker. And I'm sure some of it was Jones not wanting to take so much heat playing directly for Kelly on the offensive side of the ball, but the bigger picture tells me that he convinced the kid to do what was best for the program to help them win games in the future. I'm sure it was a hard sell, but he got the kid to buy in.

I could go on for an hour, but I hope this gives you a little insight into the man. He's a Catholic from Boston. He's the son of a politician. He's a guru, and an offensive mastermind. I don't say that to bring back bad memories of things that were said about Weis when he was hired, but to say that he's also proven he is great at recruiting, putting a staff together, and, most importantly, WINNING.

I agree Kelly is probably the 5-2 favorite.

A close friend of mine, very close, B B, played for CHS. His freshman year, before he transferred to drink and chase women at IU, he played football at Grand Valley State.

Kelly was his coach....

He had some stories about how much of a prick he is. So, I'd really wonder if a kid was on an official visit if his host, upon being asked, was like: "Hey, straight up...our coach is a fucking asshole, don't come here."

During practices, when the kids screw up, he said it would go like this:

Kelly: Hey... Hey... What is that? what is that? Why are you being a pussy? I'll fight you right now

Player: (Dumbfounded)

I have to assume that you guys have some insider info because I tried to find even a hint of this affair out there in the ether on the net - nix, nada. One can assume that if there is truth to this (not suggesting your statements or sources are untrue, mind you) the Administration knows about it for sure (ther are CERTAINLY doing everything to avoid another O'Leary debacle). What their "reaction" to it will be, however, is anyone's guess. Based upon the description given by Da Coach about one of his former player's experience, I WANT HIM . . . just what we needed. If you look forward to games as a respite from the rigors of practice . . . WOW . . . if the talent is there, it sounds as though this man will get it out of them to perform on Saturdays. If we are getting rid of Charlie (I KNOW, I should not say "if" but until it is announced, I am going with "if") this guy sounds like a good replacement to train up and motivate the talent base that is there and to attract future talents of a similar ilk . . .

Based upon the description given by Da Coach about one of his former player's experience, I WANT HIM . . . just what we needed. If you look forward to games as a respite from the rigors of practice . . . WOW . . . if the talent is there, it sounds as though this man will get it out of them to perform on Saturdays. If we are getting rid of Charlie (I KNOW, I should not say "if" but until it is announced, I am going with "if") this guy sounds like a good replacement to train up and motivate the talent base that is there and to attract future talents of a similar ilk . . .

Do you ever wonder why guys like Saban, Parcells, Ditka, Gruden, Mangini and others have jumped from job to job...They all win (strike mangini)...It's because that Schtick doesn't play well over a long period of time.

Let's say that Kelly is the new version of Nick Saban...NFL assistant and then went to Michigan State and turned them into a contender and perenial winner...then he jumped and won a national title at LSU and then jumped ship for a year to the NFL for more money...then he left them and landed at Alabama, where he is once again rebuilding a program, but anyone with money to lay on a long-term wager would say he doesn't make it another 4-5 years without going somewhere else...

My opinion on the matter is that you can't find me a coach TODAY that is all fire and brimstone and can last at a program...

I'm not interested in hiring a coach for the next 5 years...I would rather hire a coach for the next 15 years

Do you ever wonder why guys like Saban, Parcells, Ditka, Gruden, Mangini and others have jumped from job to job...They all win (strike mangini)...It's because that Schtick doesn't play well over a long period of time.

Let's say that Kelly is the new version of Nick Saban...NFL assistant and then went to Michigan State and turned them into a contender and perenial winner...then he jumped and won a national title at LSU and then jumped ship for a year to the NFL for more money...then he left them and landed at Alabama, where he is once again rebuilding a program, but anyone with money to lay on a long-term wager would say he doesn't make it another 4-5 years without going somewhere else...

My opinion on the matter is that you can't find me a coach TODAY that is all fire and brimstone and can last at a program...

I'm not interested in hiring a coach for the next 5 years...I would rather hire a coach for the next 15 years

Glad you're not involved in the hiring process. Who really hires a coach thinking they'll be gone after 5 years anyways? Like there's some way to pre-determine that.. You hire someone who can take the program to the next step, plain and simple.

i'm afraid 15 years of coaching at ND may kill you.............literally..