Gruden, Kelly, Whittingham

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whittingham? Seriously? TCU 55. Utah 28. The others that need to apply are good coaches from good conferences... I wouldn't mind Chip Kelly applying, Harbaugh applying, Meyer, Stoops... I would take Mike Leach over these other guys, because he's been winning for quite a while, now, with crap talent in a good conference. Cowher, Shanahan, Tuberville. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Butch Davis or Terry Bowden. I think when you lump Whittingham into the top 3, it undermines credibility. I could argue that Gruden and Kelly should be the only ones to apply, though.

Whittingham? Seriously? TCU 55. Utah 28. The others that need to apply are good coaches from good conferences... I wouldn't mind Chip Kelly applying, Harbaugh applying, Meyer, Stoops... I would take Mike Leach over these other guys, because he's been winning for quite a while, now, with crap talent in a good conference. Cowher, Shanahan, Tuberville. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Butch Davis or Terry Bowden. I think when you lump Whittingham into the top 3, it undermines credibility. I could argue that Gruden and Kelly should be the only ones to apply, though.

I agree wave--for once it looks like we will be probably the only top tier program looking for a coach and let's open up the interview process and get it right but I don't think Whittingham is top tier candidate.

Please ND administration can we PLEASE not overthink this one. Get it right.

Agree. None off the others are able to take on a D! program like ND.

really?

Also, don't go to those guys without at least making the call to Meyer and making him say no.

Really.

Basing this on past experience. Twice now we thought Gruden was possible (twice he said no), Kelly is coaching a top 5 team...why would he go to a team that hasn't been relevant in 16 years? Same for Whittingham.

Really.

Basing this on past experience. Twice now we thought Gruden was possible (twice he said no), Kelly is coaching a top 5 team...why would he go to a team that hasn't been relevant in 16 years? Same for Whittingham.

LOL @ you that you dont think ND is top job in CFB

HAHA!

Guest Irish1587

To be honest i want neither....... Brian Kelly sure he has two ten win seasons but lets keep in mind its the big east i know we just lost to pitt but there the top team in a weak conference and we just took them to the wire with the coach everyone wants fired.... Gruden a huge name but has int produced in college and do we really want the west coast system all over again look when it shakes down you need not a big name but a manger of the team someone who can gell that talent we have... someone with strong recruiting pipelines we cant afford two down years again in recruting..... think about Charlie Strong ladies and gents

Really.

you and i might be on here all night. but when the beefeater wears off, you'll agree that when one Brian Kelly walks around Cincy and looks at his facilities, his paycheck, heck even his freaking pencil holder, he will be reminded that to succeed at Cincinnati is to become a champion. To succeed at Notre Dame is to become an immortal legend.

Plus we can probably outbid them.

And we are the only major program looking right now.

Which is what scares me, because our administration has a tendency to--well, you know--BOTCH these coaching decisions.

LOL @ you that you dont think ND is top job in CFB

HAHA!

...typical ND Homer rose-colored glasses arrogance.

Did we get who we wanted after Davie was fired? No

Did we get who we wanted after TY was fired? No

So do you think this time will be any different? Because we've been such a great football team the last five years? gimme a break Herring

Really.

There's a couple reasons why Kelly would go to ND.

For one, there's a lot of talent here, thanks to Charlie.

Way more talent than he has right now in Cincy.

Couple that with the fact that ND doesn't exactly have the toughest schedule in college football.

The other reason is that because, regardless of what people think, this is still a premier coaching job.

Coaches don't get to Cincy and feel they've reached the pinnacle of college coaching.

If he's happy there than good for him, but something tells me that he thinks there's something bigger and better out there.

If he could come to ND and do something that nobody has done since Holtz, he would be a Golden God.

Why wouldn't he come?

...typical ND Homer rose-colored glasses arrogance.

Did we get who we wanted after Davie was fired? No

Did we get who we wanted after TY was fired? No

So do you think this time will be any different? Because we've been such a great football team the last five years? gimme a break Herring

Haha, You think I am a homer? I am surely not.

Go ask Corso, Herbstreit...heck May.

Only ND fans undervalue the ND job.

There's a couple reasons why Kelly would go to ND.

For one, there's a lot of talent here, thanks to Charlie.

Way more talent than he has right now in Cincy.

Couple that with the fact that ND doesn't exactly have the toughest schedule in college football.

The other reason is that because, regardless of what people think, this is still a premier coaching job.

Coaches don't get to Cincy and feel they've reached the pinnacle of college coaching.

If he's happy there than good for him, but something tells me that he thinks there's something bigger and better out there.

If he could come to ND and do something that nobody has done since Holtz, he would be a Golden God.

Why wouldn't he come?

Nice well thought argument Irish Chris....makes sense and your thoughts are coherent here, unlike others. But I think the value you place on the ND job is more along the lines of what it was in the 50s-80s than it is today. Realistically, we are nothing more than a middle of the road, 6-6 team without a conference these days.

Haha, You think I am a homer? I am surely not.

Go ask Corso, Herbstreit...heck May.

Only ND fans undervalue the ND job.

Not sure what your argument is here...except that you say you're not a Homer. I'm sure if I asked Mark May what the ND job was worth he'd tell me nothing....

Then you are just making a decision based on negativity and anger. Come back to me when your head is clear.

My head's very clear...what part of my posts make you think that I was thinking out of anger? Do you really think Mark May would say that the ND HC job is an incredible opportunity? If so, come back to me when your head is rid of naivete...