Notre Dame Fight Song

From USATODAY:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2009-11-09-notre-dame-weis_N.htm

And now, as the water rises on the good ship Charlie Weis, a rousing chorus of the Notre Dame Fight Song.

Slightly abridged.

"You coach for old Notre Dame.

Hear all the critics jeering your name.

See the talk shows rage awhile.

Shake down the thunder 'cross the dial.

You, though the odds seemed weak and small.

Couldn't stop Navy running the ball.

Now your ticked-off fans are hoping.

Charlie is history."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SirJohn

I'm just sort of surprized then Iguess not surprized..the Main Media like USA today and Gannet go and MOCK Notre Dame. Seems to me that if one were a Notr Dame fan they would object that hatred/mockery was spilled over in main Media.

I guess not. That's supposed to be our cherished fight song guys.

Morning Sir John. This type of behaviour stems from our program needing to return to prominence.

We have become the butt of the media chastising us again and again. I am honestly suprised on how much negative press Coach Weis and The Irish have received this week alone.

While alot of it seemed justified, most seemed to be folks taking advantage of our current state of affairs. The ship needs to be righted...now more than ever.

Morning Sir John. This type of behaviour stems from our program needing to return to prominence.

We have become the butt of the media chastising us again and again. I am honestly suprised on how much negative press Coach Weis and The Irish have received this week alone.

While alot of it seemed justified, most seemed to be folks taking advantage of our current state of affairs. The ship needs to be righted...now more than ever.

The ironic thing is that its the medias fault for elevating our program to such heights, without reason, in the first place.

I'm just sort of surprized then Iguess not surprized..the Main Media like USA today and Gannet go and MOCK Notre Dame. Seems to me that if one were a Notr Dame fan they would object that hatred/mockery was spilled over in main Media.

What is, is.

We should be able to laugh at ourselves and not take it so seriously.

Guest SirJohn

:grin:

Do not forsake me oh Notre Dame

On this our game day

Win win along

I do not know whatfate awaits you

I only know you must be brave

For you face many men who hate you

or die a coward..a craven coward in a grave

Oh to be torn twixt the hate and duty

Supposin so to Our Lady a real beauty

Look at the big hand a movin

Nearing your high noon

They made a vow in the media prison

Said it would be our life or hisen

We're not afraid to die but oh

What will I do..if Notre dame leaves me?

I care not for this or any game

Do not forsake me Notre dame

Win,,win along

Although we're greiven don't think of leaven

Not while I need you...by my side

Win win along

Win win along

Sir John,

You hit the nail...the mocking by opposing fans should be expected. The gleefull mocking by the media is both objectionable and absent with regard to other programs and their coaches. We should be relentless in calling them on it. Neither our coach nor Our Lady's university has anything to be ashamed of and neither should be subjected to such treatment. FWIW, Herbstreet (sp?) was tactful throughout the day. Others were not (cf Feinstein).

Guest SirJohn

Thanks Baltimore and Gettysburgh. It is true that...whatever you wish to call it...say neutrality, exactness, fairness in sports media does not apply to reporters...it does indeed sell harming Notre Dame in any way possible. Herbie has been pretty fair in his assement of Notre Dames program.

C'mon guy's...who do we really need to blame for the situation we are currently in? Let's dig deep here and search for the root of the media bashing us. As Fanatic alluded to, the media built us up to begin with. But we could of done more to stop this bashing.

We who have been a fan for the ages understand the hate brought on by other fans. They are now in a position to kick us when we're down. Believe me, had we been winning, they would still hate us...but with nothing to say.

Why are the media stepping all over us? Because we have been giving them a story since Davies and have not but for 2005 been able to hold them off.

Not beating USC in these past few years is a story. The losses and even the close wins have been fodder for them. So let's take a really good look as to where the problem really lies. I

t's okay to be honest. I am, and I am a loyal fan.

That's exactly why if we learn how to laugh at ourselves, the mocking doesn't sting or bother us.

That play on the fight song was funny!

I think even CW would laugh at that.

Yeah, I mean why show any pride or faith, when you can be cynical and show a general disrespect towards the history and tradition of the program!!?!??

It's time we all suck it up people and show support or get off the bandwagon

Guest SirJohn

it's a sad thing to say but much..much of this media issue is driven by anti Cathlocism.

I have found it amazing and there were two accounts that I know of, that Weis pulled guys out of the deep South. Many here know of this and I do say that even in a border state like Kentucky, drive east towards our mountains and Catholics are just not wanted. As well there is alway there is the perception...unfortunatelly true sometimes of the priest-boy thing our religion suffers from. Other schools wisper these thing to our recruits. Te'o got slammed publicly by Brigham Young for going to ND.

This all does spill over to anti ND fans hate, and the media. That's not my OPINION... it's there, REAL, and do not fool yourself they used to throw dead fish at our fans.

Hail to those sorry losers,

Hail to those simpering snoozers,

Hail, Hail to Michigan, the hapless and the last . . .

or how about

Flail On, 'ol USC

Our men flail on, horrendously

Seen anything like that in USA/Today or elsewhere? Nope. Maybe we should take out a full page ad . . . ?

The saddest part of all is that three of the top ten winningest programs in college football are all looking pretty sorry this year . . .

I tend to agree with RockneDrive that we should be able to laugh at ourselves a bit, but I also agree with the sentiment that the media is NOT evenhanded when it comes to giving out jabs.

You guys need to embrace the hate. Its fun to be the bad guy that everyone hates. The media scrutiny and praise are part of the gig when you're the most visible team in your league. Look at the Yankees and Duke.

Sidebar:

All too often does ND try to get everyone in the figurative room to like them. I truly believe that is why we have lost to Navy twice in the last 3 years. Instead of coming out and beating them by 5 touchdowns, all week the players minds were on respecting the Naval Academy. Know how you respect the Naval Academy and her players? By beating the sh!t out of them with your best effort. Any athlete will tell you that a superior opponent "taking it easy" on you is the biggest slap in the face you can give. (Most of this came from an article I read on ndnation I think but its all true).

Back on topic:

Now I don't mean that we have to turn into 1980s Miami and be a bunch of asses. We can still be the bad guy, play with a mean streak, bury the other team and still shake their hands after the game.

Embrace the hate! Use it as motivation! Bring it on, we'll be back on top and it'll be much better when we are.

Guest SirJohn

Well pregame...Did you have to quote anything from NDNation here?;):grin:

I agree stop respecting Navy...To me they are just a football team so beat them. I do think we played well, just not fired up. Lookat the cause They are Navy so the team, the fans expect..dig that..expect a blow out. Weis warned all to take them seriously but no one listened. The result is what one gets and does deserve.

My analysis..? We deserved to lose the fans deserved a losingteam yet won't buckle up and admit it. In collectivism lies safety and thats what they wanted safety in numbers for any new flavored coach of weak. (I meant weak and not week.)

Now of course there will be cries of "I support the team." But count just how many posts here at DD or any site are dealing with or mentioning Ucon.????