Please Hire This Guy...IMMEDIATELY

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rocketsan22
forgive my ignorance, but what was Gruden's tie to ND? I thought there was a lot of talk about that, or was that Meyer?

I like Gruden's enthusiasm in that clip. Definitely something CW is lacking.

Gruden has no connection, Meyer was a grad assistant here for five years.

Guest Ndirish8

Gruden's father was an assistant coach under Dan Devine and John Gruden grew up in South Bend, Indiana. He could've went to ND, but knew he would not have played. That is plenty of connection.

although i think ND should be hesitant to go back to the NFL i love john gruden. he would be completely different then getting weis is the fact that Gruden was a head coach. In my opinion he should have two super bowls cause the Raiders got screwed against the Patriots in the snow bowl in 2001.

Guest rocketsan22
Gruden's father was an assistant coach under Dan Devine and John Gruden grew up in South Bend, Indiana. He could've went to ND, but knew he would not have played. That is plenty of connection.

I meant direct connection...

Gruden comments:

"To see that marching band walking across campus at 8 o’clock in the morning, to look up and see Touchdown Jesus and the Golden Dome, to feel Rockne’s ghost, the best word I can use to describe it is chilling. Every time I see Notre Dame on TV, it gives me goose bumps." (NFL.com)

Bucs head coach Jon Gruden, interviewed in the Sept. issue of Playboy, reveals that he lost his virginity at age 17, in South Bend, Indiana. “I lost my virginity to the Notre Dame fight song,” Gruden says. “There was a band?” asks Playboy. “No, not even music,” Gruden replies. “But it was in my mind.” (ESPN.com)

Gruden comments:

"To see that marching band walking across campus at 8 o’clock in the morning, to look up and see Touchdown Jesus and the Golden Dome, to feel Rockne’s ghost, the best word I can use to describe it is chilling. Every time I see Notre Dame on TV, it gives me goose bumps." (NFL.com)

Bucs head coach Jon Gruden, interviewed in the Sept. issue of Playboy, reveals that he lost his virginity at age 17, in South Bend, Indiana. “I lost my virginity to the Notre Dame fight song,” Gruden says. “There was a band?” asks Playboy. “No, not even music,” Gruden replies. “But it was in my mind.” (ESPN.com)

That is awesome.

I listened to Rivals Radio Interview w/ Pete Sampson yesterday and it was very interesting (link here - http://rivalsradio.rivals.com/radiostream.asp?SID=1135&TYPE=WM&cl_key=5169 )

Apparently Gruden was approached back in 2001 and had SERIOUS interest but he couldn't walk out on his team (the Raiders) 3/4 of the way through the season (unlike Saban) and in 2004 he was under contract w/ Tampa and couldn't get out of that either. He's never been more free than he is now to coach wherever he wants to and I believe he is #1 on their list.

Sampson also metioned that Gary Patterson and Paul Johnson were high on the list last year as well.

IF we were to get a new coach, I think Gruden would be my first choice and Patterson would be my second choice with Kelly third on my list. I think Gruden has proven he can win big games (playoff games and the super bowl as evidence of that) and I believe he has a true understanding of ND from being around since he was a kid. I think he could be a MONSTER on the recruiting trail. It's one thing to say you won super bowl titles as an offensive coordinator (still a pretty amazing accomplishment), it's a whole different thing to say I led to completely different teams in back to back years to the super bowl and I won the second one (yes, I know Tampa Bay was basically built by Tony Dungy, but I don't believe they ever would have won the Super Bowl without Gruden to get them over the hump). I think kids will flock to him and he's got the personality that the media and parents would love.

Like the guy, but I'm just not sure.....He took an existing Super Bowl contender ans won the Super Bowl after Dungy left and then proceeded to go straight down hill, until he got fired. Hell he couldn't even decide on a QB in Tampa - didn't he have like 5 QB's on his roster every spring training....

Like the guy, but I'm just not sure.....He took an existing Super Bowl contender ans won the Super Bowl after Dungy left and then proceeded to go straight down hill, until he got fired. Hell he couldn't even decide on a QB in Tampa - didn't he have like 5 QB's on his roster every spring training....

I'm with you. And, in 10 plus years, he is just 18 over .500. In 5 years charlie is 15 over. Different comparisons I recon, but, just because he won the super bowl, doesn't make him the best choice.

I read his wiki page and when he went to Tampa, he took over for Dungy, kind of like CW for tw, and in his first year won. In the next two years he didn't have a winning record. Warren Sapp said that they won because of what Dungy setup. Sound familiar????

I'm just saying..........

Guest Ndirish8

I would LOVE Gruden. Thanks for all that inside info on him, he is great! The virginity song one is what gets me stoked!!! But Patterson will not leave TCU. He is a king there and has only recruiting plans centered around Texas. He is a very good coach though. Bring on Gruden with a good staff! Go Irish!

Pros and cons of Gruden

He has intensity in spades and can use that to motivate these execptional athletes

He has NFL experience and that will be a draw for recruiting

He has the ND/South Bend connection and passion

He can coach other guys players and schemes but when it comes to his own . . . jury's out on him there - TB went from king of the hill to king of the crapper and is still rebuilding

We tried a former NFL guy at the college level - we have him now

Guest Ndirish8
Yeah, I'm sure this is high on the administrations list too...

Hahaha you are hysterical Mr. Rocket. If you are being sarcastic then bravo Jerry Seinfeld.