A Great Post Over @ NDNation

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I agree with in that whole thing is about Quinn and company and their leadership. I think that was terribly lacking the last two years. You can write me off, but I honestly sense a tone of ownership from the leaders this year. Clausen is not Tebow. Only a select few can come onto a team and take charge. It took JC some time and instead of being happy with the progression, fans whine "Well, why can't he have Tebow or McCoy or Stoops or Meyer or Carroll?" All I know is all the Michigan friends I have say "Gosh, I wish we had Floyd." Floyd is special. He looks like a leader out there even though he's a sophomore and not elected. The way he caught the in route on (I believe) 3rd and 10, got popped, and then jumped up and started pounding the war drum is special.

As far as motivation goes, I believe a coach has to make sure his team is in the right mindset and all. But motivating specific players comes from team leaders. Those are the kids who know I got to get in Brian Smith's ear and start chattering and hyping him up. Or Tate looks too nervous out there, I got to give him a high five and leave him be. That's my take.

Well didn't read the entire write up, but I'm little confused on this no emotion stuff. I saw Sam Young play with more emotion Saturday than I've ever seen him play with before. Part of why Clausen kept overthrowing passes is because he was sky high. The emotion of a team is very hard to control on an individual basis. In other words everyone gets motivated in a different way, what works for this guy may turn off that guy. The head coach can't run around and have a pep talk with every player. It is up to the team leaders and the position coaches to do that.

Everyone has an opinion just like the guys over at NDN, I read there regularly. There was also a very good right up over there last year that compared what Wies took over as basically a two year death penalty for the program. The guy had a very good argument but there were still some good players to come out of those 2 classes that became very good players. I think this loss has just made people a little crazy.

People are still throwing up the same general cliches. I wonder if anybody actually watches our football team or just reads articles about football and then tries to impose what they've read onto our team when our team isn't successful. People are trying to impart knowledge that doesn't fit. I mean, freaking watch the game and understand not only the score and the stats. Understand the situations and what is being called. I guarantee for a FACT that dude never watched the offensively line play. He sat back on his couch, watched Jimmy drop back, and when jimmy threw it, he followed the ball to the receiver. Or, he watched jimmy hand the ball to armando and watched armando run. He never, once, looked at the o-line, the d-line, or the stunts/schemes being run. He's a superficial follower who doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. If you don't think this team has fire, you aren't paying attention. Unfortunately, we had some guys who just had a bad game - Golden and Darrin, to be specific. The O-Line surge is ridiculous. The Defense is getting after it, they just aren't getting there which leaves our secondary out to dry.

It's the same thing on every board under every topic. Someone jumps on and regurgitates some trite football cliche, applies it to our team, and tries to find cause and effect from their contribution to our failure to win. They don't actually look at the team and understand what went wrong or what went well. Keep it up. Insightful... I'm soooo intrigued by your analysis.... I wouldn't expect anymore from NDNation anyway. At least our posters are fun.

People are still throwing up the same general cliches. I wonder if anybody actually watches our football team or just reads articles about football and then tries to impose what they've read onto our team when our team isn't successful. People are trying to impart knowledge that doesn't fit. I mean, freaking watch the game and understand not only the score and the stats. Understand the situations and what is being called. I guarantee for a FACT that dude never watched the offensively line play. He sat back on his couch, watched Jimmy drop back, and when jimmy threw it, he followed the ball to the receiver. Or, he watched jimmy hand the ball to armando and watched armando run. He never, once, looked at the o-line, the d-line, or the stunts/schemes being run. He's a superficial follower who doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. If you don't think this team has fire, you aren't paying attention. Unfortunately, we had some guys who just had a bad game - Golden and Darrin, to be specific. The O-Line surge is ridiculous. The Defense is getting after it, they just aren't getting there which leaves our secondary out to dry.

It's the same thing on every board under every topic. Someone jumps on and regurgitates some trite football cliche, applies it to our team, and tries to find cause and effect from their contribution to our failure to win. They don't actually look at the team and understand what went wrong or what went well. Keep it up. Insightful... I'm soooo intrigued by your analysis.... I wouldn't expect anymore from NDNation anyway. At least our posters are fun.

Agreed wave. I got so pissed reading that board last year I deleted it from my favs. It gave me more gray hair than I care to think about.

That post is a litle too rich in PSYCHOBABBLE for my taste---" motivating participation is not the same as motivating achievment "-- i mean come on -- that is mostly gibberish--- "some guys are doctors ,some guys are lawyers, some guys like school, some guys hate school, some guys want to win, some guys need to win"------this guy sounds like he has 6 psycholgy credits and wants desperately to use them---lol

i'm sorry i dont mean to be harsh-- or to diminish the fact that the team has been flat on more then one occassion-- ( see the 3rd quarter )--- nonetheless--this rambling hodgepodge doesnt make any particulr case other then --I DONT LIKE WEIS

I stopped reading at the part "Weis is baffled by what makes college athletes perform"....really? If that were true the entire team would show no improvement over the past 2 years...sure we lost a game, but I agree with Wave - do these guys understand football at all and look at the improvement overall in the team or just at the final score and bitch that we lost...

Yeah, I have NEVER seen Sammy Young 20 yards down field with no helmet pursuing some guy like he just stole his wife's purse! This team isn't lacking emotion. Any doubt just look at #55!!! I think he eats steel and shits nails!

Good point! I love those Mfers!!!!!!! Throw in Trevor Robinson. Man, we have some old school nastiness on our line. Do you think they could play both sides of the ball? haha.

Unfortunately, I think many of you are letting your feelings mask the harshness of reality.

Name one game where Weis showed that he was a great coach?

I hope that game is this coming week, but unfortunately he hasn't delivered one yet.

He did beat #3 Michigan in 2005 but who cares...

Didn't they finish unranked?

And Michigan 2009 is a top ten team... right? Who knows. IF we beat SC and they drop a game or two at the end or lose to Washington this week, will it mean any less? It was a HUGE win at the time. You can spin things all you want that Weis hasn't had big wins. He hasn't beat an elite team. I consider OSU an elite team because whether they deserve it or not, they are in the top ten every year. But they haven't won a huge game in a long time. They haven't beat an elite team in a long time. Alabama lost to Florida. ND loses to SC. USC and Florida are right now the best programs out there. Alabama got worked in the BCS game against UTAH. Sabin is not a good motivator because they just didn't show up for a BCS game, right? Come on guy, people are just jumping off ship way too early. My tone will drastically change if we lose in the next 3 weeks or get blown out by SC, but as a fan and a rational person, you have to just calm down and watch what happens.

Didn't they finish unranked?

You could argue that we started that slide. If we don't win that game, their season is different. Saying Charlie doesn't scheme well is a little assinine. Look at USC 2005, BYU, and other games where we just crushed our opposition. It isn't easy to destroy teams. I would argue we won games last year that we shouldn't have won. (Unfortunately, we lost games we shouldn't have lost, too.)

I would argue we won games last year that we shouldn't have won.

Could i ask which games we won that we shouldnt have?

SD St? Michigan? Purdue? Stanford? Washington? Navy? Hawaii?

Just my opinion but I dont see a single game there that we shouldnt have won. If we were expected to lose one of those 7 then the expectations for this program had fallen farther then i thought.

He hasn't won one significant game yet, period. You can reach to the stars all y'all want but it's plain and simple. His most significant game thus far is a loss to USC. You can't argue that. And to bring up Michigan due to preseason ranking is absurd. If they were ranked 3rd in October then we'd have a story but they weren't.

DJ, one question... IF we beat SC, and SC drops a couple game later in the season and falls to the bottom of the polls or out, would you say that we still didn't beat anyone? If the answers yes, well I don't know what to say.

Here's the deal: You're comparing a perrenial power to a seasonal flounderer. And by flounderer I mean how they were so up and down and not ever consistant. You can't do it. The fact is we lost to a team with a true freshman QB, when we were leading despite all of the BS, with only 3 minutes left.

So you can't argue the plain and simple fact the throughout CW's five years, ND has not had a significant win.