They loaded the box so we threw

Guest SirJohn

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest defconND

So when the other team loads up the box, the only pass play is a low-percentage go route? Slants, outs, curls, or a high percentage pass to Rudolph or a RB out of the backfield is out of the question?

It's just not smart football. A first down wins the game and this is can be accomplished. You don't need 50 yards in one chunk. And you sure as heck want to make sure it is high percentage so they have to use timeouts.

thats what i dont like about charlie. Stupid answers like that. Who cares if they loaded the box on 2nd down, run the ball kill little clock or force michigan to call a timeout. It's just like the loss i think it was to Navy, 4th and 9 and he doesnt kick the field goal, and he said something like "if we had 3 more yards i would have kicked it." I like charlie, hes a family man, loved Notre Dame, but he is just so arrogant, and honestly one of the worst motivators i have ever seen. The last two years i went to the pep rallies and the crowd is fired up after older players come back and talk and then charlie gets up there and just kills the vibe of the crowd. Now im not in the locker room, so maybe he motivates in there, but i just dont see that.

That was too big of a risk to take at the end of the game, thats the one problem with CW. In the NFL u have to take those risks, u cant in college, u have to take the chance to end a game when u have it, dont be cute.

If they would have ran twice, michigan uses two timouts and it would have been absolutely impossible for michigan to score a TD, it would have been overtime at worst,

WWLD?

Lou would have taken his 40+ pound per man advantage on the line, ran it right between the guards and grinded out a first down, game over. That's the conservative, and the correct play calls. 99.9% of D1 coaches would have done that also.

Weis is a gambler, always has been. He wanted to put the game away quickly with no questions asked. He threw the dice and lost.

I totally disagree with the call especially with your best reciever out injured, and your second best reciever all of a sudden has butter fingers.

Like the last poster said, the worst case secenario was OT.

This is my biggest beef with CW - he trys to be too cute.

It shouldn't matter that they put 8 men in the box to stop the run, you run the dam ball anyway - its called smart football. Back when Lou was coaching, they could put 13 guys in the box, he didn't care, if he wanted to run it, he ran the dam thing.....

So all our supposed "talent" at running back...was all talk??? C'mon Charlie...

First, that comment is assinine. When you load the box, it doesn't matter HOW talented your backs are. Additionally, you mentioned CW getting paid millions in another thread and that he could do surgery like you; so I propose this. How about I get a bunch of fans, here, and we go over to your hospital and heckle you for every mistake, or perceived mistake, that you make... It doesn't matter if we know what we are talking about or not, we'll just heckle you for the sake of heckling; because that's what a lot of you guys do. You either didn't watch Notre Dame when we had Davie and Ty, or you have forgotten how bad it can really be. We have a prolific team that is damn competitive. This team is much better than Quinn's team; but we are going to lose games. We don't want to, but we will. How many times did Lou go undefeated with ALLL of our talent that we had under him, yet everyone reveres him. Let's come back to reality, and relax. PS - how many people remember our last 3 coaching searches??? They didn't go so well, because of our fan base. It was a DIRECT result of our fan base.

Guest rocketsan22
You either didn't watch Notre Dame when we had Davie and Ty, or you have forgotten how bad it can really be. PS - how many people remember our last 3 coaching searches??? They didn't go so well, because of our fan base. It was a DIRECT result of our fan base.

I've missed one or two games that weren't broadcast up here in Canada over the last 20 years (one or two ESPN games and a CSTV game vs. Air Force a few years back).

If "fan base" you mean high funding alumni, I'll give you that, but if you mean Subway Alumni like most of us on here, then I call shennaigans.

Guest rocketsan22
Additionally, you mentioned CW getting paid millions in another thread and that he could do surgery like you; so I propose this. How about I get a bunch of fans, here, and we go over to your hospital and heckle you for every mistake, or perceived mistake, that you make... It doesn't matter if we know what we are talking about or not, we'll just heckle you for the sake of heckling; because that's what a lot of you guys do.

I dont do surgery, I do post rehabilitation and case facilitation and he knows as much about that as I do being a head coach. That being said, I'll let the rest go because we're all pissed right now and it's not going to get us anywhere nor are we going to agree.

Charlie is simply not a good college head coach and when "a lot of you guys" come to realize it, we'll all get along. Let's agree to speak more on this in December.

Gosh, sometimes people can sound emmm not smart. LOOK. Someone posts about an NFL game. Its an NFL game and first downs don't stop the clock. And people are being the worst monday morning QB. For as many games you show me that a team runs runs runs punts and wins, I can show you games where that strategy bites you in the buns and you still lose. OR the play to win strategy and you win.

"WELL, WE SHOULDN'T BE PASSING!!!" Ehhh, the third down play was there. It was a good play call.

"WELL, WE SHOULDN'T THROW A BOMB." Well, I listened to Weis and watched that play again. If you watch it, JC got the snap, three steps back and throw. I don't know if there was another option other than the fade. If you watch, JC is hit as he throws. Another run would have been stuffed with a loss. If you watch, Tate was held.

All I will say, if you watched the game, the momentum was with Michigan. The calls were with Michigan. The defense was spotty in the second half. I don't see any way run run run punt would have been the BEST strategy given those factors. In that situation, you play to win, especially when you accumulated close to 500 yards of offense.

This is MUCH better than what actually transpired...

Well, that's terribly unfair. Its very easy to play Monday morning QB. I guess you could question every single unsuccessful playcall. Trust me, I am sure if Weis knew calling those plays would have resulted in a loss, then we wouldn't have made them.

Did anyone see the Bears and Packers? It's third and one and the Packers throw deep because the whole Bears defense is playing the run. It was a simple run and catch. I personally don't know what the fuss is about the playing calling. I do disagree with having Shaq Evans as the receiver on third down, however.

Did anyone see the Bears and Packers? It's third and one and the Packers throw deep because the whole Bears defense is playing the run. It was a simple run and catch. I personally don't know what the fuss is about the playing calling. I do disagree with having Shaq Evans as the receiver on third down, however.

Can't really compare since it's not the same situation. A better example would be the 49ers Cardinals game. Niners get the ball back with 1:55 left and clinging onto a 4 point lead. Singletary does what any coach would have done in that situation: run the ball, keep the clocking running, make them burn their remaining timeouts.