RB's Disappointment

I must admit I believe I am disappointed with our RB's. In the past 2 seasons, I blamed our OL for their lack of productivity. But after watching Allen run last game it becomes blatantly obvious that he lacks a 5th gear. Alrdidge has been a disappointment considering he was a 5-star back, Hughes disappers, Jonas Gray seems to be the one potential bright spot (not including the frosh as we have not really seen them yet). Anyone else sense that our highly touted backs just flat out have not turned out to what they had thought?

We need a RB who can break a game open and I don't think we have it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WeisGuy07

I hear what you mean, but I was really pleasantly surprised with Jonas... thought for a bigger guy he showed speed and agility to get away from tackles and more importantly break tackles.

Yeah I am not sure what people are looking for on this one - the running backs founds wholes and hit them hard - I was pleased with just about everything from our backs. Our blocking was improved at the point of attack but it still was not perfect in sealing and getting to the second level - I think this will improve but this oline is still a work in progress.

If people want something to complain about - look at the Rudolph missing assignments and our D-Ends getting blown off the ball. There is a lot of work to do with this team -however it appears that the back up RB has taken the place of the backup QB as the fans favorite player on the team.

I totally agree.....people are overreacting and looking for things to complain about.

Allen averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

Gray averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

Everyone flips out because we don't have a back that averages 8-10 yards per carry like Reggie Bush a few years back. Do you realize how rare those types of backs are? As long as the line is opening average holes and making the defense respect our run game, I'm really not all that worried about our backs. Big runs will come but it comes from 2nd level blocking from the line and WRs/TEs, breaking tackles, and pure speed. I believe Allen and Gray will get those big runs soon.

Armondo Allen's longest rush in his ND Career is 21 yards. I'd say that's a problem.

That's pretty good considering our OL woes the past 2 years...if there isn't a hole to run through how can a guy break it? There were a few runs in the game where he almost broke it for a big gain...give it time it will happen

I must admit I believe I am disappointed with our RB's. In the past 2 seasons, I blamed our OL for their lack of productivity. But after watching Allen run last game it becomes blatantly obvious that he lacks a 5th gear. Alrdidge has been a disappointment considering he was a 5-star back, Hughes disappers, Jonas Gray seems to be the one potential bright spot (not including the frosh as we have not really seen them yet). Anyone else sense that our highly touted backs just flat out have not turned out to what they had thought?

We need a RB who can break a game open and I don't think we have it.

I think its hard to judge any of our backs performance - they really have one good game of offensive line play in front of them. The last 2 years the OL was so bad, you really can't judge any position on the offensive side of the ball. Now that it seems we have the OL headed in the right direction, people to be able to honestly judge the other positions, including running back.

I think that we should really hold our judgements until the bye week, then we'll be able to make an honest and informed evaluation of the offensive positions....we just need to be a little patient

I totally agree.....people are overreacting and looking for things to complain about.

Allen averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

Gray averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

Everyone flips out because we don't have a back that averages 8-10 yards per carry like Reggie Bush a few years back. Do you realize how rare those types of backs are? As long as the line is opening average holes and making the defense respect our run game, I'm really not all that worried about our backs. Big runs will come but it comes from 2nd level blocking from the line and WRs/TEs, breaking tackles, and pure speed. I believe Allen and Gray will get those big runs soon.

Actually Allen had a better day if you take out his one yard TD run, but still less per carry than Gray. The back that you speak of, 8 to 10 yards per carry... There were three of them last week for USC. In fact, there were 30 backs that averaged 8 yards or more last week. I just think its been too long since we have had a playmaker back there. I understand the OL hasn't been good the last couple of years but the backs didn't do them any favors either. Now, Kyle missed A TON of blocks which makes me even more happy about the run game because I feel that will not be a pattern. But AA had multiple opportunities to get that big run and he didn't. The funny part is that people think backs that get the long run don't get touched or just run. Most of the big plays are because a back makes one guy miss, not because it was a perfectly executed play. Perfectly blocked plays are very rare.

I'm no expert, but wasn't Nevada's defense ranked like #3, or at least pretty high last year? Those USC backs, who did they face? San Jose State? I am not saying USC's back aren't good, because obviously they are, but they faced San Jose State. A lot of other teams faced their own cupcake opener, so you should expect stats to be inflated. Nevada is no powerhouse, but they had 2 great ends who combined for about 22 sacks last year (I think), and we still got 178 yards on them. Will USC have 3 backs averaging 8+ yards this week against OSU? Probably not. I just say give it some time, and i think we will be ok.

Guest blacksox
Armondo Allen's longest rush in his ND Career is 21 yards. I'd say that's a problem.

I say it isn't. The OLINE was horrible the past two years. Last week he alomst had two runs that he could have taken to the house so give him a few weeks to get use to having holes and lets see what he does.

Why is everyone always so quick to complain? 178 yards is pretty good.

Guest raphactor

Also, take into account that when you are accustomed (sp?) to poor o-line play you tend to get into the habit of cutting too many times instead of letting the blocks develop in front of you. When you are doing that sometimes you take your own blockers out of the play. This might not have been a problem the last couple of years when you had to assume that they wouldn't get the block but now that they seem to be developing, the running backs have to have time to develop the trust in those big fellas that they are going to pick up that block that will spring the big play/home run.

I'm no expert, but wasn't Nevada's defense ranked like #3, or at least pretty high last year? Those USC backs, who did they face? San Jose State? I am not saying USC's back aren't good, because obviously they are, but they faced San Jose State. A lot of other teams faced their own cupcake opener, so you should expect stats to be inflated. Nevada is no powerhouse, but they had 2 great ends who combined for about 22 sacks last year (I think), and we still got 178 yards on them. Will USC have 3 backs averaging 8+ yards this week against OSU? Probably not. I just say give it some time, and i think we will be ok.

Stats can be deceiving. If your playing a Nevada D whose pass D is that bad, would you run? I think their DE's are very solid players but lets look at the ranked teams they played and see how their backs faired... Names are irrelevant

Name: Average rush by top two rushers...

Texas Tech: 7.8, 6.4

Missouri: 9.4, 2.6

Boise: 10.1, 1.8

Maryland (just because its a major conference): 12.2, 7.2

I am happy with ND's output because I know that ND could not average 5 yards against anyone AND Kyle had a really bad game. BUT, as everyone knows, no one averages 9 yards a carry because they get 9 yards a carry. That average is exaggerated by the big run. And I believe ND's blocking is adequate, we are just missing the big run. I hope it happens against Michigan.

Ironically, irishillustrated just posted a post-Nevada game interview with Tony Alford about our RB's. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks we should be breaking off bigger runs:

Q: What was your overall assessment of the way your running backs played against Nevada?

TA: I thought we did okay. We've got a lot of improvements to make. We're happy to win and all that, but now it's time to move on. I told our guys that I was not happy, that we need to make more big plays. We got tripped up too many times. Don't let the last man get you. Don't let the last man standing be the one that got you.

So I've got to do a better job of coaching breaking tackles at the end. We need to finish runs off better. The effort was good and the attention to detail was good. But we've got to make more plays for this offense and for this football team.

Q: The inability to break tackles is something that Armando Allen has fought the last couple of years. What drill do you run? What do you do to improve that?

TA: We do a lot of footwork drills. Running through the rope ladders…I've got to do some things that are more conducive for breaking tackles. Instead of running through rope ladders, maybe running through bags, coming out of the blaster, i.e. breaking the tackle, forcing you to get your feet up.

Q: When you see film of Allen getting tripped up, is that what it is? Not picking his feet up to avoid getting tripped up?

TA: Yeah, he has to snatch his feet out of tackles. You've got to pick your feet up. But that's on me. I'm going to take the heat because if I'm not doing drill work to help him improve on those skills, that's on me

Ironically, irishillustrated just posted a post-Nevada game interview with Tony Alford about our RB's. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks we should be breaking off bigger runs:

Q: What was your overall assessment of the way your running backs played against Nevada?

TA: I thought we did okay. We've got a lot of improvements to make. We're happy to win and all that, but now it's time to move on. I told our guys that I was not happy, that we need to make more big plays. We got tripped up too many times. Don't let the last man get you. Don't let the last man standing be the one that got you.

So I've got to do a better job of coaching breaking tackles at the end. We need to finish runs off better. The effort was good and the attention to detail was good. But we've got to make more plays for this offense and for this football team.

Q: The inability to break tackles is something that Armando Allen has fought the last couple of years. What drill do you run? What do you do to improve that?

TA: We do a lot of footwork drills. Running through the rope ladders…I've got to do some things that are more conducive for breaking tackles. Instead of running through rope ladders, maybe running through bags, coming out of the blaster, i.e. breaking the tackle, forcing you to get your feet up.

Q: When you see film of Allen getting tripped up, is that what it is? Not picking his feet up to avoid getting tripped up?

TA: Yeah, he has to snatch his feet out of tackles. You've got to pick your feet up. But that's on me. I'm going to take the heat because if I'm not doing drill work to help him improve on those skills, that's on me

Great article Hombre.

I love how Alford took it on the chin for AA's inability to break those last tackles.

I forgot when he had the nice run off the left side for a nice gain.

He had one man to beat, and all the guy could do was dive and sweep at his feet.

That's what he did, and that was that.

Great article Hombre.

I love how Alford took it on the chin for AA's inability to break those last tackles.

I forgot when he had the nice run off the left side for a nice gain.

He had one man to beat, and all the guy could do was dive and sweep at his feet.

That's what he did, and that was that.

That is very interesting. But in all honesty, we can keep on ripping the OL. But from my view, the holes were there. And one home run would have changed everything. Over 200 yards rushing and that elusive 8+ yards per carry average and everyone is off the OL's back and AA's.