Where was Wood?

ErickJD08

JD, you really think anyone but Barry Sanders could have been a productive runner behind our horrendous line the past few years? I'm sure there is a reason Charlie and Alford have decided to start Allen. I don't know, but I bet they know a little more than we do since they see the guys play everyday. AA isnt perfect, but he is still the fastest/quickest running back we have, the best blocker, and the best pass catcher.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JD' date=' you really think anyone but Barry Sanders could have been a productive runner behind our horrendous line the past few years? I'm sure there is a reason Charlie and Alford have decided to start Allen. I don't know, but I bet they know a little more than we do since they see the guys play everyday. AA isnt perfect, but he is still the fastest/quickest running back we have, the best blocker, and the best pass catcher.[/quote']

I think there are players out there that would have been more effective and had a longer run last season than Golden Tate's 24 yard run blocked by the same line AA runs behind. Your right about Weis's knowledge about his players but this is the same guy who didn't give Floyd a starting spot til game 4 last season even though I thought (a dumb fan) Floyd looked like the best WR out there from game one. In 2007, Tate was the only guy making huge plays but rode the bench week after week. So Weis has been slow in shifting playing time to playmakers. Maybe they are terrible in practice but who knows. I do know that AA had about 3 opportunities to take it to the house and he still couldn't do it.

JD' date=' you really think anyone but Barry Sanders could have been a productive runner behind our horrendous line the past few years? I'm sure there is a reason Charlie and Alford have decided to start Allen. I don't know, but I bet they know a little more than we do since they see the guys play everyday. AA isnt perfect, but he is still the fastest/quickest running back we have, the best blocker, and the best pass catcher.[/quote']

Agree 100%.

Well Said PJD.

I think there are players out there that would have been more effective and had a longer run last season than Golden Tate's 24 yard run blocked by the same line AA runs behind. Your right about Weis's knowledge about his players but this is the same guy who didn't give Floyd a starting spot til game 4 last season even though I thought (a dumb fan) Floyd looked like the best WR out there from game one. In 2007, Tate was the only guy making huge plays but rode the bench week after week. So Weis has been slow in shifting playing time to playmakers. Maybe they are terrible in practice but who knows. I do know that AA had about 3 opportunities to take it to the house and he still couldn't do it.

Seriously, some people are just playmakers when it comes to gametime...may not show in practice because they;re thinking too much...but come gametime, instincts kick in, and they just go crazy

If that's the case, I would tell wood to transfer. With all due respect to our current stable, none of our HB's are Joe McKnight. I am just saying that I would have liked to see Wood get a shot. Red shirting a player doesn't make sense unless the player needs to grow, learn the system, or there is superior talent clogging the playing time. I don't see that here. Wood has the tools. And there is not one back that stands out. Depth is good, but I think this is the situation that falls into the saying that if you have two starting quarterbacks, you don't have one. We have a bunch of average backs (jury is still out for Riddick, he looks good so far on the limited touches.) I hope its just a "saving for Michigan" thing.

Ignorant statement.

Let me ask you this: What percentage of NFL players used their redshirt

Answer: More than you would think

Question: Should we toss out every player who does not play in the first game their freshman year?

Answer: No, even if a player doesn't contribute, it provides depth during practice. What happens if someone gets injured. Do you remember how fast our "stocked" TE position last year whittled down to 1 freshman?

We hear the complaints about ND being thin at possitions and you want to toss a freshman aside after not playing in 1 game?

Players take time to develop. How many freshman start at USC or FLorida? Depth is a good thing.

Maybe Wood does need time to grow. Star rankings are based on potential as well. Maybe Wood doesn't know the playbook well enough.

And as far as this crop of backs, and the "jury" being out on Riddick, how is it not on Gray? He has played in as many games as Riddick.

Man this post makes me furious. Lets just throw kids under the bus after not playing in their first game as a freshman.

Class move that would be.

Did you play college athletics, Division I? ( I did, things take time, being away from home, learning the playbook, adjusting to life on your own.)

Edited by Synoptico

And you're the same guy who thinks AA is awesome I presume. I just don't understand how Allen is a locked down starter. You can go through any post I have made, and I never claim to be some expert. But I have common sense and I watch a crap load of football. Some players have a knack for making people miss, making plays, having a feel for the game. I have not seen any plays (or any that I can remember) where I say to myself, "ahhh, that's why he's the starter." Does AA have a run longer than 25 yards? When is the last time AA made something out of nothing? When is the last time he has broken a tackle? His longest run in his career is 21 yards against Purdue. Every year is the same story. "Allen looked at his tape and thinks he goes down too easy." From my eyeball test, Tate is the best proven runner on the team but he is just too damn good with the ball in the air. Gray is a better runner than AA. Riddick really might be the answer but the coaches' love affair with AA isn't going to end until someone runs a 60 yard TD (hopefully against Michigan).

And to be clear, I have no issues with AA but as a fan, its so frustrating to watch other teams of lower caliber have backs that can make guys miss. And to return ND's program to glory, I really don't see him as the back that will take us there. I hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first one to say I am.

What makes you think Cierre would be this guy?

The coaches have watched him in practice all fall, and decided not to play him. Not only that, but they decided to play Riddick over him. Does that not tell you that perhaps Cierre isn't ready to play Division 1 football at the moment, despite him being a "heralded" recruit?

Don't piss in the punch bowl. You're complaining about a freshman not getting playing time when we won 35-0 and averaged over 4.0 yards per carry. We do that all season, and we win a BCS game.

And about "telling Cierre to transfer" -- if he transfers after being a redshirt his first season, I don't want him on this team. That's the definition of a quitter and a spoiled athlete -- none of which I think Cierre is.

He'll play if the coaches decide he's ready. On Saturday, that wasn't the case.

Ignorant statement.

Let me ask you this: What percentage of NFL players used their redshirt

Answer: More than you would think

Question: Should we toss out every player who does not play in the first game their freshman year?

Answer: No, even if a player doesn't contribute, it provides depth during practice. What happens if someone gets injured. Do you remember how fast our "stocked" TE position last year whittled down to 1 freshman?

We hear the complaints about ND being thin at possitions and you want to toss a freshman aside after not playing in 1 game?

Players take time to develop. How many freshman start at USC or FLorida? Depth is a good thing.

Maybe Wood does need time to grow. Star rankings are based on potential as well. Maybe Wood doesn't know the playbook well enough.

And as far as this crop of backs, and the "jury" being out on Riddick, how is it not on Gray? He has played in as many games as Riddick.

Man this post makes me furious. Lets just throw kids under the bus after not playing in their first game as a freshman.

Class move that would be.

Did you play college athletics, Division I? ( I did, things take time, being away from home, learning the playbook, adjusting to life on your own.)

I don't think you read things right. I don't want him to transfer. I really want him to play. I was simply saying that there might be people, like his handlers, around him telling him he might need to transfer. Like I said, I don't claim to know much but I use common sense. Unless Wood came in with no desire to play or is really dumb, I highly doubt Riddick and Wood are worlds apart playbookwise. I highly doubt he has no desire to play or is really dumb, so they are probably really close. My point is that some players rise to a higher level under the spotlights. Therefore, I would like to have seen Wood out there to see what happens.

The jury is still out on Riddick because he had only one play of significance, kickoff. But from what I saw, he looked like he can go out there and make people miss. Gray had a 20 yard TD run. I am not claiming Gray is amazing but I liked what I saw last year and this year. (and if all you think about is a fumble on the goalline, AA fumbled in the gameopener) Gray is a better runner and harder to bring down.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about Wood. It was a perfect game to get him in. I had no idea why Hughes played garbage time risking injury.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about Wood. It was a perfect game to get him in. I had no idea why Hughes played garbage time risking injury.

Couldn't that same logic be applied to Cierre? Or ANY RB for that matter?

Why risk injuring a freshman when there's absolutely no need to burn his redshirt? Absolutely no reason at all?

What makes you think Cierre would be this guy?

The coaches have watched him in practice all fall, and decided not to play him. Not only that, but they decided to play Riddick over him. Does that not tell you that perhaps Cierre isn't ready to play Division 1 football at the moment, despite him being a "heralded" recruit?

Don't piss in the punch bowl. You're complaining about a freshman not getting playing time when we won 35-0 and averaged over 4.0 yards per carry. We do that all season, and we win a BCS game.

And about "telling Cierre to transfer" -- if he transfers after being a redshirt his first season, I don't want him on this team. That's the definition of a quitter and a spoiled athlete -- none of which I think Cierre is.

He'll play if the coaches decide he's ready. On Saturday, that wasn't the case.

I don't know if he is the guy. All I am saying is that Wood might be a playmaker but no one will know, even the coaches, unless he sees the field. I know that AA, Aldrige, and Hughes are not play makers. They are good and pretty dependable but will never be game changers.

I will never question Weis and his schemes or strategies with football because the guy has proven that he knows what he is doing. But I think the staff can fall in love with players or ideas when I don't think the fan's perspective (people who watch and analyze the final product) are not that wrong sometimes. How many plays did Floyd need before you knew he was special? I was clammering for Tate in 2007 as I am sure many were. I know the coaches said he didn't know how to run routes but he was the only guy making big plays that year. You would think the coaches would teach him as quick as possible because he makes plays but the coaches didn't. How many plays did Kyle need? Ha, what did you think of Teo, in the 7 plays he was in? The point is just that play makers and special players make plays and they don't need a ton of time to show it. Don't get this twisted, I am not saying just start freshmen and see what happens. But when we are still looking for a playmaker at HB, I don't see the harm tossing Wood in and seeing if he is special.

Cierre was one of our early commits for 2009... he is clearly here because of the school and not just because of Football.

From what I've read, the RB stable has a good dynamic, and are highly competitive.

Cierre has lots of room, and TIME, and opportunity to grow.

Riddick played RB in garbage time... He's out there only because of his potential on KO.

I would not worry after one game.

For all you know, Cierre might actually be fine to absorb the playbook and get stronger.

Why don't we just sit tight for a week or two and see what the season brings? I think Riddick was grossly under rated and Jonas Gray is getting a lot of comments from the team. Theo Riddick was mentioned by a few different people as being the fastest guy on the team and Golden said that they hadn't lined up and raced but he thought he was faster. Armando is probably 3rd or 4th fastest on this team but he seems to be the best RB we have so far.

Another thing people fail to realize is there is FAR FAR FAR more to being a running back at ND than just getting the ball and running with it. For starters, there is blitz pickup, which is difficult for most freshmen to grasp. In addition, there is learning the playbook. I'm sure the freshmen don't know even half the playbook at this point. Do you really want to limit the entire offense to put in a player who may only do ONE thing better than the 3 players ahead of him?