Where was Wood?

Anyone have any thoughts? I see no reason to redshirt the kid. He has the size and ability. And the way we have been recruiting, there is no reason we need him to sit a year.

Is this some gamesmanship and saving him for Michigan? That doesn't make sense because you want to get the first game jitters out of the way. He should have been in there instead of Hughes at the end of the game IMO. Is he really that far behind from Riddick? Even when Weis was talking about Plan B's for the kick returns, not a peep about Wood. Is he in the doghouse? Just very odd.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Riddick got carries because he already saw the field as a returner. Why not save Wood if possible since they have a stable of running backs. I think that is probably the thought at this point, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him get carries later in the year especially if there are some injuries.

I just don't get what you would save him for. They got a 4 star RB commit recently and I am sure they are going to target blue chip RB's next year and the year after.

I just think everyone at RB should get a shot. ND does not have a proven gamebreaker at tailback and I think we should see what they can do in a game. Anyone who follows or who has played knows that the special players take their game to a higher level during the game. Weis loves AA and sees all this speed and playmaking ability during practice, but its not showing up at the game. I say just give Wood a shot and see what happens.

going into last game, ND was 4 maybe 5 deep at tailback without wood.

Allen, Gray, Hughes, Riddick, Aldridge, then wood....

Why would you not preserve the eligibility of wood, they see him in practice, if the other guys are playing infront of him i would assume that there is a reason for that.

going into last game, ND was 4 maybe 5 deep at tailback without wood.

Allen, Gray, Hughes, Riddick, Aldridge, then wood....

Why would you not preserve the eligibility of wood, they see him in practice, if the other guys are playing infront of him i would assume that there is a reason for that.

If that's the case, I would tell wood to transfer. With all due respect to our current stable, none of our HB's are Joe McKnight. I am just saying that I would have liked to see Wood get a shot. Red shirting a player doesn't make sense unless the player needs to grow, learn the system, or there is superior talent clogging the playing time. I don't see that here. Wood has the tools. And there is not one back that stands out. Depth is good, but I think this is the situation that falls into the saying that if you have two starting quarterbacks, you don't have one. We have a bunch of average backs (jury is still out for Riddick, he looks good so far on the limited touches.) I hope its just a "saving for Michigan" thing.

Charlie does not like to redshirt running backs--- BUT this is a special case----he brought in two good freshman--- he found it hard to get jonas too many carries last year---------with Gray- Allen- Hughes-Aldridge-and now riddeck------WHERE ARE THE CARRIES SUFFICIENT TO JUSTIFY BURNING HIS REDSHIRT----they seem to already have decided THEO is there freshman this year--- starting return man-- and already had carries form the RB spot in the first game----------------

Originally i expected allen and wood to be returning kicks----but they must have really liked what they saw in THEO

next year-- aldridge is gone-- hughes and allen will be seniors without a 5th year -----it just seems like if we cant run with all those backs-- adding 25 carries for wood and buring his redshirt doesnt really make sense--- playing one freshman is fine-- they chose theo

we will have cierre as a redshirt freshman next year-- he will be a big boost -- and will be THE RUNNING BACK IN HIS REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE YEAR!

the question should be WHY WOULDNT he redshirt? You want to burn a year of Wood for a couple carries? He's not playing over Armando or Jonas. He's on par with Theo according to all reports. So he's fourth string at best, not counting Hughes as a RB anymore. Unless we get hit by a major injury bug, I'd rather have the potential of an extra year from Wood. The only chance you take is Wood getting ansy and deciding to transfer due to not playing.

You dont think the coaches would play him if they thought he could be a premier back right now? They've seen him play. They know what he brings. He's obviously not better than the older guys we have right now. I trust the coaches...

And you're the same guy who said AA sucked. You obviously don't know football.

I cannot believe the schell and dome are not all over this thread......as far as redshirting, Weis said that they will wait until the bye week before that is discussed between coaches and specific players, so Cierre has plenty of time to get on the field before any decision is made.........

K first of all we won 35-0 so I don't get the whole argument about Wood not playing.

Second Riddick looked great and is returning kicks over AA because despite his talent, AA has never been a game breaking return man.

Third, we don't even know the full extent of what Gray can bring. I still think he has the most physical ability of any of our backs. He needs more carries before we even think about giving them to Cierre.. as much as I love the kid for committing early and being a spokesman for ND. That's just the way it is.

I for one really want to redshirt Cierre. Notre Dame comes here to Soonerland

in 2012 and I really would like to see Dayne Crist and Cierre Wood on offense.

We really really really have to win that game. But you guys are right that

say we have too many good backs to let him play a few plays.

Save some of this awesome talent.

You dont think the coaches would play him if they thought he could be a premier back right now? They've seen him play. They know what he brings. He's obviously not better than the older guys we have right now. I trust the coaches...

And you're the same guy who said AA sucked. You obviously don't know football.

And you're the same guy who thinks AA is awesome I presume. I just don't understand how Allen is a locked down starter. You can go through any post I have made, and I never claim to be some expert. But I have common sense and I watch a crap load of football. Some players have a knack for making people miss, making plays, having a feel for the game. I have not seen any plays (or any that I can remember) where I say to myself, "ahhh, that's why he's the starter." Does AA have a run longer than 25 yards? When is the last time AA made something out of nothing? When is the last time he has broken a tackle? His longest run in his career is 21 yards against Purdue. Every year is the same story. "Allen looked at his tape and thinks he goes down too easy." From my eyeball test, Tate is the best proven runner on the team but he is just too damn good with the ball in the air. Gray is a better runner than AA. Riddick really might be the answer but the coaches' love affair with AA isn't going to end until someone runs a 60 yard TD (hopefully against Michigan).

And to be clear, I have no issues with AA but as a fan, its so frustrating to watch other teams of lower caliber have backs that can make guys miss. And to return ND's program to glory, I really don't see him as the back that will take us there. I hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first one to say I am.

And you're the same guy who thinks AA is awesome I presume. I just don't understand how Allen is a locked down starter. You can go through any post I have made, and I never claim to be some expert. But I have common sense and I watch a crap load of football. Some players have a knack for making people miss, making plays, having a feel for the game. I have not seen any plays (or any that I can remember) where I say to myself, "ahhh, that's why he's the starter." Does AA have a run longer than 25 yards? When is the last time AA made something out of nothing? When is the last time he has broken a tackle? His longest run in his career is 21 yards against Purdue. Every year is the same story. "Allen looked at his tape and thinks he goes down too easy." From my eyeball test, Tate is the best proven runner on the team but he is just too damn good with the ball in the air. Gray is a better runner than AA. Riddick really might be the answer but the coaches' love affair with AA isn't going to end until someone runs a 60 yard TD (hopefully against Michigan).

And to be clear, I have no issues with AA but as a fan, its so frustrating to watch other teams of lower caliber have backs that can make guys miss. And to return ND's program to glory, I really don't see him as the back that will take us there. I hope he proves me wrong and I will be the first one to say I am.

I agree Gray is better than AA but I think AA should get the majority of the carries for atleast a few weeks until Gray proves he can be consistent and hang on to the rock this year. Plus AA worked his tail off and put on 11 pounds of leg muscle this offseason...so I'd just let the kid work for a bit.

Third, we don't even know the full extent of what Gray can bring. I still think he has the most physical ability of any of our backs. He needs more carries before we even think about giving them to Cierre.. as much as I love the kid for committing early and being a spokesman for ND. That's just the way it is.

I think Gray is going to have a nice year and may take some carries away from AA. Gray is not going to go down with an arm tackle and that was a nice TOUCHDOWN run at the end of the first half on Saturday even though the officials blew the call. I think Jonas is going to surprise a lot of people this year. I say keep the redshirt of CW if possible...