Is Charlies play calling too cute?

Guest SirJohn

speaking of play calling. Does anybody know why Crist came in on that single play (i think it was in the 3rd quarter)?

I'm guessing that Charlie was going over something rather important and detailed with Jimmy and needed more time, thus putting Dayne in. If this is so, Charlie must have some serious faith in this young man. I'm impressed with the depth and the fact that when Dayne did go in, it wasn't just running plays. And don't get me started on the defenders... wow!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imroc

It was in the second quarter. Charlie has not said but the obvious idea was to get the kid's feet wet. He had never taken a snap in a college game before. Most good college coaches like to slowly give the new guy something he can handle to allow him to get over the jitters. ONe play in the first half, well practiced, then pull him and let him think about it, get used to the idea of what it was like. Then, give him a few more snaps later. I believe it was handled as well as it possibly could be. The kid has now handled several snaps, he's handed off, and even thrown a couple of completions. Now, if the unthinkable happens, he won't be entirely green. Expect to see him get a series now and again as the season progresses. It's imperative that he get his feet under himself.

me

Found It:

Q. In that vein, what was the reason to put in Dayne Crist in the second quarter when it was still close, just for one play?

COACH WEIS: Because we had designed, if they're doing this, this is what we're going to do. It was only going to be a drive starter. You notice it was the only time in the game where we went from the sideline right to the line of scrimmage. We only did that one time, and we had run two wildcat plays to see what they were going to do, and the first wildcat play we miss a block or else we have a gash run to the left side. The next time we run one to the left side for about 20 and then we have a phantom holding call, which I'm sure you'll find it a phantom holding call, too. So we have two plays from that.

But in both cases, when you call those plays, we call those plays and we're looking at those formations to see what we're going to get to see if you're setting up that very play you're talking about. They gave us looks, saying, okay, bring it on, fellas, and I thought we were going to score a touchdown on this play now, because if they would have done what they did the first two times, next thing you would have done was hit the pylon because there was no one over there. But it didn't work out that way, so they guessed right and I guessed wrong.

Coach also on playing Crist

On playing Crist: "I need to get Dayne Crist ready to play. I don't mean bringing Dayne Crist in and having him hand off on inside zone. Given the opportunity, I want to get him time. But who wants to take that No. 7 out? Certainly not me, not the way he's playing. But the more we can get Dayne involved running the whole offense, the better it will be for the future of the program."

me