Is Charlies play calling too cute?

Guest SirJohn

Guest SirJohn

First off I hear from many a fan that Charlies play calling is "Too cute" I disagree and it beats three yards and a cloud of dust or artificial turf debris.

Please give examples, mostly this year and back it up

SJ

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Charlie's use of the wildcat with Armando and Dayne are partially designed to give Michigan something to think about. I also think it's his attempt to get Dayne in the game, because he ran that in high school. Yes, we used Armando, but don't know how long that will continue.

With Charlie, he sees weaknesses in the other team and knows the exact play to exploit those weaknesses. Unfortunately, it's still a guessing game as far as the opponent's decision to run a play or not run a play that will highlight those weaknesses, for example, deciding to blitz or not to blitz on a particular play. Charlie knows that if the team blitzes and he has the right play called, it's going ot the barn. Unfortunately, he misguesses sometimes. You can't hold that against him.

As far as some of the cuteness, I think it's Jimmy's refusal to check down on pass plays.

As far as fourth downs, I don't blame him. You're in the middle of the field, why not, especially if you outmatch your opponent on the line. My problem is that he isn't cute enough of 4th down sometimes.

We are a far cry from Bob Davie's dive left, dive right crap; so I have ZERO complaints. People who think we should have a power running game and build on that are living in the past and show no ability to adapt to our strengths. You do what works. The passing game obviously works, so let that open the running game instead of doing it vice versa, thinking the only way to win a national title is by sticking to tradition. I have zero complaints about our offensive philosophy.

I couldnt disagree more about the screens. With those rush ends it was necessary. ALSO seeing the tight end screen return to our offense was very nice. If you watch Charlie's best play calling with New England and with ND he relied HEAVILY on screens. I couldnt be more excited about the return of TE screens. Oh yeah, I dont think Charlies play calling is "too cute" i still dont understand what that means, or how it could be used in the same sentence with Charlie. Haha (Love ya Charlie)

Guest Tate4Heisman
I think that was part of the game plan. Nevada's defensive strength is their DEs. The way to minimize a DE is with a screen pass. I must say that the play calling Saturday was much much more creative than last year.

I do agree the play calls were much more creative. I liked the opening play, with the double fake. Too bad it didn't work.

The play calling was excellent---- everyone can find something they didnt like-- espicially after the fact when they dont work--lol--- for me-- i dont like that tight end whirling screen--- rudolph just should not be catching screens behind the LOS

the wild cat i liked-- would be nice to get good at that

essentially a very good mix--- and an aggressive gameplan---- keep it up--- ATTACK and ATTACK some more!--- fine with me

Once in a great while he out-thinks himself, but criminy. We had over 500 yds total offense. Considering the fact that we shut it down early in the second half (which is the only thing I can truly fault him for) it's crazy to even ask that question. Yeah sometimes he likes to try some crap but behind it all is solid thinking. He doesn't grab-bag

Sometimes I think some people miss the fact that all coaches make occasional mistakes. The "perfect game" of play calling is an extremely rare feat. Pete Carroll makes mistakes as does Urban Meyer, but when you have talent at every position, sometimes players play over the coach's mistake. Lou would be the first to admit occasionally he screwed the pooch on a call. The thing about it is that when your team lacks talent, the coaching mistakes are all the more glaring. Also, when you lack the talent, sometimes the absolute correct call goes for naught. It's the nature of the game.

me

I have a lot of respect for Wies as a play caller but I hate the wildcat. It is too easy for the defense to decide what to do.

I truly believe the only time it works is when the team running it is far more athletic than the defense. You are basically saying this guy is running it ... catch me if you can.

I like the idea JOYCEL had of trying Goodman. Then if the defense commits to stopping JD running then he can throw it.

I just don't see Armondo ever throwing the ball.

Even with Goodman, I'm not crazy about the idea of taking Clausen out of the offense. If I'm a defensive coordinator, I breath a sigh of relief when he is out at WR and Armondo is running the ball.

The last thing I don't like about it is I could see someone like USC taking Mays and having him plant Clausen in the ground when clausen splits out wide.

I have a lot of respect for Wies as a play caller but I hate the wildcat. It is too easy for the defense to decide what to do.

I truly believe the only time it works is when the team running it is far more athletic than the defense. You are basically saying this guy is running it ... catch me if you can.

I like the idea JOYCEL had of trying Goodman. Then if the defense commits to stopping JD running then he can throw it.

I just don't see Armondo ever throwing the ball.

Even with Goodman, I'm not crazy about the idea of taking Clausen out of the offense. If I'm a defensive coordinator, I breath a sigh of relief when he is out at WR and Armondo is running the ball.

The last thing I don't like about it is I could see someone like USC taking Mays and having him plant Clausen in the ground when clausen splits out wide.

You really think they will take their best defender out of the center of the field? If they do it will be a td.

The playcalling is fine and if you have as many athletes as we have then you'd be crazy not to at least mix it up with the wildcat. I thought CW pulled the reins way too quick. We could've layed 70+ on that team and should have! I'm not a fan of letting up in the 2nd quarter!

I do think that occasionally Weis gets too cute with his play calling. I find no fault with the Wildcat, I agree with the poster who said that the intention was to give Michigan something else to worry about. My example would be last year's opener against San Diego. Somebody (I think it was on the Blue-Gray Sky) did an analysis of the running plays called against SDSU. I can't quote from distant memory, but the jist of it was that ND had far more success running to the side of Young and Stewart, yet ran to that side far fewer times than the other way. The implication was that Weis was trying to sandbag Michigan by not giving them a true sense of the strength and tendencies of our running game. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the data, and I know I've given a foggy account of it, but I do feel that sometimes Charlie looks too far down the road, and yes gets too cute.

I do think that occasionally Weis gets too cute with his play calling. I find no fault with the Wildcat, I agree with the poster who said that the intention was to give Michigan something else to worry about. My example would be last year's opener against San Diego. Somebody (I think it was on the Blue-Gray Sky) did an analysis of the running plays called against SDSU. I can't quote from distant memory, but the jist of it was that ND had far more success running to the side of Young and Stewart, yet ran to that side far fewer times than the other way. The implication was that Weis was trying to sandbag Michigan by not giving them a true sense of the strength and tendencies of our running game. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the data, and I know I've given a foggy account of it, but I do feel that sometimes Charlie looks too far down the road, and yes gets too cute.

Only thing is CW didn't call the plays last year until Navy? Not sure if Navy's right, but he didn't call most of the year. It's his system, his plays, his plan, but didn't call them. I'm not sure what the intent was with the wildcat. Did he expect to gain significant yards, or just give UM a little more to worry about. Who knows, but it was different, unpredictable, and I liked it.

It occurs to me that I'm coming off as being negative toward Weis, I'm not. I think that it's impossible to call a good game with the young, over-matched Oline that we've suffered through over the past 2 years. Screens, draws, and quick throws only go so far, sooner or later you have to block somebody. Thankfully, it seems that this year, we finally can.

Screens are very high percentage and a great way to get the offense clicking quickly.

exactly. when your screens are working the offense gets rolling and it can absolutely kill a defense emotionally and physically. once this happens, it's an open game for the offense and a long @ss day for the defense