If we win the coin toss, what would you do?

I would defer.

The last thing I would want, ok, maybe not the last thing, but is to have the troops march it down the field and score fairly easily. That creates a mindset of, "oh, this will be an easy game." Next thing you know, Nevada is running all over us and were hitting the panic button. Obviously that could be turned around and people will say, well if we score right away, Nevada will hit the panic button. But I'd rather set the tone with our defense. Something we haven't done in 7 or 8 years.

Hopefully we can defer. Get a solid stop and grind out a long drive.

Edited by SDIrishFan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I know what CW would do, but I asked what YOU would do?

Apparently along with my poor spelling and grammar skills my reading comprehension is lacking as well. :) How do I make it through life?

I would take either take the ball and have the offense Quick Kick punt on first down (i think this might catch the D by suprise) or defer to the second half...At least defering always works for me in NCAA football on the PS2 and we all know how realistic NCAA on PS2 is!

Edited by krazyglue

Tough call. On one hand, the offense is, on the whole, much more experienced than the defense and it would seem logical to trot them out first and let them deal with all the opening game jitters first. On the other hand, I'd also like the defense to know that I have faith in their ability to rise to the challenge. A quick three-and-out and the whole mindset of Nevada and their high-powered offense takes a hit.

I guess I'd flip a coin.

Tough call. On one hand, the offense is, on the whole, much more experienced than the defense and it would seem logical to trot them out first and let them deal with all the opening game jitters first. On the other hand, I'd also like the defense to know that I have faith in their ability to rise to the challenge. A quick three-and-out and the whole mindset of Nevada and their high-powered offense takes a hit.

I guess I'd flip a coin.

So let me get this straight, you'd flip a coin to flip a coin?? Hahaha:faint:

So let me get this straight, you'd flip a coin to flip a coin?? Hahaha:faint:

How about catching the coin, motioning for a raise the roof to the crowd, launching the coin into the students section and running around the stadium hi-5-in- like Cal Ripken?

Kick it to them...

The idea is to win field position early...Stuff their first drive and let them punt away to us giving us better field position and momentum on defense to build off of...Also it has been my experience that defense is typically able to execute their assignments easier... Having our offense pass the ball early worries me because of the potential hiccups in getting the ball rolling...

Allowing the defense to get on the field and take some of the air out of the stadium could calm the nerves of our offense and give them a little confidence taking the field...

Plus delivering the big hits early in a game and a season can set the tone for things to come, typically big hits are delivered on kickoff and defense...which would also support my strategy.

Onside kick...

That is a good idea. No one would see it coming. Practice this with your normal coverage team, shock the hell out of everyone, end up with the ball first in the first half, and end up with the ball first in the second half. BRILLIANT!