one thing that bothers me about Saturday's game

And let me preface this by saying that a lot of our success this year depends on our running game, but I keep seeing on this site and others that we have to come out running and play ball control against Nevada and maybe pass later. Now I was looking at their stats from last year and I am sorry but that's just wrongheaded. They were #120 against the pass last year and #6 against the run. The only team on our schedule who ranked higher against the run was SC. Now on top of that, we have arguably the best wideouts in the country, a highly ranked and regarded qb, and one of the best tight ends in the country. That's not even mentioning how good Armando is out of the backfield. Now yes we need to able to run effectively on Saturday. But to not take advantage of our assets and their weaknesses would be plain stupid. We should surgically dissect them through the air, both over the top and up and down the field, and we should continue to do it until we have them buried. Then we should line up and run. And even then , if they commit 8 or 9 to the box, pass. Ultimately what I am saying is that our running ability is of utmost import for the season but not for this game. For this game we should make their dbs heads spin like Linda Blair. And if they vomit some green pea soup, all the better.

me

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax. I just don't see Nevada matching up with us. They will try hard, but just get out talented. By the time we get to the second half we should be able to run on them. Maryland broke them on the ground in the second half last year. They had a pretty decent running game. Nothing spectacular.

Again I feel comfortable because I know Nevada so well. Anyone else and I wouldn't be too secure either.

Edited by PursuitAce

Guest SirJohn

For me all games make me nervous. It is those games where all and thatincludes the team, feel we will roll over that mke me certain we can bedoomed. Taking them too lightly.

SJ

Guest Sophie

I think its healthy for the Irish to have confidence in their game going into Saturday, but at the same respecting our opponent, we've seen what happens when they don't .. just sayin' :rolleyes:

Guest Coalmine

At this point, I just want to see the Irish stick to what they do best and work with that. If they have a porous secondary, then exploit it. Lets not experiment with the running game and keep a team in artificially when they couldn't stay with our receivers in the first place.

With the Michigans, USC's, MSU's of the world, yes, we'll need the balance since their secondaries are better, but there is no need to "tip our hand" yet at this point.

I can see your concerns when I think back to last year against San Diego State and

we tried to jam it down their throat. Do you remember how fast we scored at the end

when we were throwing??? When we put the ball up it will be at a 70% clip. Throw

the first play of the game. Go deep. Then when we run they will be on their heels.

At this point, I just want to see the Irish stick to what they do best and work with that. If they have a porous secondary, then exploit it. Lets not experiment with the running game and keep a team in artificially when they couldn't stay with our receivers in the first place.

With the Michigans, USC's, MSU's of the world, yes, we'll need the balance since their secondaries are better, but there is no need to "tip our hand" yet at this point.

I agree with this, except that if we ran the ball effectively, we can control the clock and keep the ball out of their hands and our defense off the field...I want them to score as little as possible.

Guest irishrick

i think that you will see Charlie play a game that Michigan has to get ready for both the run and the pass, looking for a 34 to 10 score, with the second team getting some reps . go Irish :-):popcorn::whistle:

I will see the game and make my opinion then, but if I had to make one now, I would be concerned if ND did not rush for close to or over 200 yards. I understand that Nevada has a weak pass D and ND has a strong pass attack. If you were Nevada, wouldn't you rush three and throw everyone else back into coverage and force ND to run? Not only to force ND to prove they can win by running but to prevent the big play. I know that would be my strategy. And if I were Nevada, that would be my strategy until I started getting dominated or half, which ever comes last. Therefore, if ND can not run against a mid major daring ND to run, it ain't a good sign. Again, we'll see if this all is true but Nevada would have to be ABSOLUTELY stupid not to force ND to win on the ground.