Thoughts from an Aggie on ND recruiting...

What you guys are looking at right now is the fallout from the last two years. You are getting some of the players you want but by and large are missing on quite a few.

I believe this is happening for the following reasons:

2008....9 Regular Season Wins as opposed to 6: For reasons that have gone on ad nauseam, you guys would probably be landing the guys you want if you had beaten UNC, Syr, and Pitt. Right now folks are taking a wait and see approach...see next reason

Earlier Recruiting: Because recruiting has been pushed back so much, most recruits arent waiting and seeing. They are going with the "hot" program, while this puts you guys in a bad spot for 10, if the class is kept small it will help w/ '11/'12.

You can suffer a sub-par class IF you win in '09.

Because if you do...look out.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BobbyC

completely agree with that... i think there is also a danger in waiting to win and getting recruits next year though, because if we don't win, we will have another small class in a row and this will leave us hurting later. so, i think they need ti approach it by getting around 22 players and hope we get some impressive early wins so top-notch recruits commit to ND

every year we get some of the players we want and miss on quite a few-- its just recruiting--- there are some doubts by some recruits on charlies stability--- if they choose they can wait till a few games go by to alleve that concern-- if they dont then they probably werent all that set on ND anyhow----- to play football and attent ND is a difficult lift for most everyone--- ND just isnt for everyone-- that said-- it is WAY PREMATURE to call this a subpar class--- we will end up with 22-24 recruits and a top 12 top 10 class---thats is far from weak

Guest BobbyC

while that certainly is far from weak, hawaii, when i looked at this class before we started recruiting, i was telling my friends we couldn't fire charlie because this class very well could turn out to be better than the 2008 recruiting campaign. all the talent that was available that had interest in ND made this class looked promising to become a #1 recruiting class. so, while we still have a pretty strong class (i would say way stronger than last year considering there were 2 kickers, a long snapper, and a legacy recruit that probably won't see any time), i expected more out of it. we still have a chance if we win to get to top 7 or so, but i don't see us getting higher than 4 or 5. again, a very good class, but i really did expect more with all the opportunities we had

Completely agree HMFIC - the indecision with CW's future, brought on by our sub-par performances in the past couple years, has made this class fall somewhat flat. I think with a good season, we can still put together a solid class, but it is nowhere near what I thought it could be.....

Completely agree HMFIC - the indecision with CW's future, brought on by our sub-par performances in the past couple years, has made this class fall somewhat flat. I think with a good season, we can still put together a solid class, but it is nowhere near what I thought it could be.....

you guys are so nicely and eloquently describing what i've been saying all along. WE SUCKED!!!!!!!!! and these kids aren't gonna buy any more smooth talk. we need to get it done, then heads will turn. losses to 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier teams is a complete embarrassment and unacceptable..................

you guys are so nicely and eloquently describing what i've been saying all along. WE SUCKED!!!!!!!!! and these kids aren't gonna buy any more smooth talk. we need to get it done, then heads will turn. losses to 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier teams is a complete embarrassment and unacceptable..................

or like schell said, we sucked and we are reaping what we sowed......:mmph:

Really what did you guys expect-- after two months of screaming fire charlie -- hire urban--fire charlie hire brian kelly-- fire charlie hire gruden--swarbuck had to step in just to salvage last years recruiting-- and now we all are upset about our recruiting---- I DONT GET IT____ anyone that truly expected another 2008 class after all that was niave------------so whats the point of reliving the obvious?

you know its not just the 7 and 6 record--- in fact two other factors are just as important--- first the depth chart in alot of positions just doesnt look anywhere near as attractive as it did in 2008 when we got the top class---and second the call for firing the coach a call that i thought was premature despite our poor finish last year----the coaching instability that created plus the talented young roster-- both had some effect on recruiting

Despite that reading this thread seems to give alot of validation to HMFIC-- i hate to point out but this years class of 13 is already ranked as high as A&M's class of 19---- we will finish far ahead of them for one thing.

In addition lets not let disappointment that we arent loaded with top 100 players DIMINISH THE 13 RECRUITS WE HAVE___

Hendrix-- looks to be another Brady Quinn

Welch-- looks to be another Kyle Rudolph

Utupo -- is a beast-- and mark my words he will be a four star and poaching will be agressive on him before the season is out

Chris Martin &

Blake Leuders may be the best pair of DE's we ever recruited in one class

Boyd-Badger& Wood----- are just the first three DBs--- when we close out with two top guys its gonna seem like quite a successful haul for the D backfield

Both Jackson & Smith are underrated recievers by rivals--- one with great speed the other a prototype build----- we add one Top guy and WR recruiting would be downright fantastic given our impressive depth chart

Kendall Moore most likely will turn into a great player for us

Scout still has lombard rated the no 1 guard in the country--- rivals is way off that--- i think scout will end up closer to the truth by season end

even tommy rees is a perfectly fine pickup as a no 2 QB

add 10 more players to this 13--- 3 top 100s-- a couple more primo DBs---two good olineman -- lets say 10 more-- five 4 stars and five 3 stars--- and this class will fill out real sweet

I guess it just seems to me that calling our recruiting subpar or weak-- both diminishes the fine players we have as commits and is defeatest about who we will end up with after our strong season

My feeling is by next february this feeling of poor recruting will evaporate completely!----

i'm not upset. hell, i'm ecstatic about what we've gotten considering how bad our coaching has been the last two years. all i'm sayin' is that we better win the games we're supposed to this year or the recruiting train is gonna come to a complete stop............

i'd have to agree that the last two years have probbly hurt our recruiting for this year and thats why the season can't start soon enough. ND does have some good ones in this class but as of now ND has missed out on a lot of elite players. hopefully ND will change some players minds once ND put on a football clinic this year on the field.

i'd have to agree that the last two years have probbly hurt our recruiting for this year and thats why the season can't start soon enough. ND does have some good ones in this class but as of now ND has missed out on a lot of elite players. hopefully ND will change some players minds once ND put on a football clinic this year on the field.

imagine this scenario. elite player (insert name) is sitting across from meyer, or carroll, or that weirdo from lsu, and all their respective coaches. "so son, where else you lookin'?" "well sir, i'm thinkin' bout ND". silence..... followed by eye rolling, snickering and then knee slapping, gut busting laughter. now, the kid is either gonna respond with a big FU and walk away or he is gonna do what most 18 yr old kids would do and that is second guess himself and start thinking about alternatives...................

i'm not upset. hell, i'm ecstatic about what we've gotten considering how bad our coaching has been the last two years. all i'm sayin' is that we better win the games we're supposed to this year or the recruiting train is gonna come to a complete stop............

Hell yeah schell!!

I think that more important than beating usc this year (though that's important as hell), we HAVE to beat the "should beat" teams on our schedule.

No more playing down to inferior teams and letting lesser teams hang around in games!

It's time to start beating the teams we are supposed to beat, and creaming the teams that we are supposed to cream!

PERIOD!!

One more thing to point out.......................we need to outscore these teams as much as possible!.....I also think this is going to be one of our problems again. No one has shown me that Charlie has changed his opinion of outscoring teams. He doesn't want to put the hammer down,........& keep it down!

Edited by gipper2nd
mis-spelling

One more thing to point out.......................we need to outscore these teams as much as possible!.....I also think this is going to be one of our problems again. No one has shown me that Charlie has changed his opinion of outscoring teams. He doesn't want to put the hammer down,........& keep it down!

afrigginmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just need to get the season started. I think Charlie is doing a good job of finding

players that are better then many people think. They have time to develope because

we now have a two deep roster. Most these kids get redshirted and the weaknesses

seem more in stature rather then speed. This class won't hurt us and we will build a bit

more depth, but once we start winning we will be competing for the number one class

in the country again and again.

I agree Oklahoma. We are not exactly where we want to be personel wise, but not too far off. These are good young players. I really do think the problem over the last couple of years has been Friggin ATTITUDE! It appears, from all I have seen, that the new blood on staff has made a world of difference thus far. These players are working out at a level that has not been seen in South Bend for some time. They are hungry from top to bottom, and are finally getting the coaching to feed them. We will play well this year, our class will round out nicely, and we will all be more fun to hang out with on Saturday!!

I am a former Professional athlete, and I can tell you it all begins and ends with your attitude and dedication. I will take a 3 star with a good attitude that is dedicated to himself and his team against a 5 star that is soft in either of those areas.

We will get the 4 and 5 star guys and make them into a very dangerous and fun to watch squad.

Go Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Oklahoma. We are not exactly where we want to be personel wise, but not too far off. These are good young players. I really do think the problem over the last couple of years has been Friggin ATTITUDE! It appears, from all I have seen, that the new blood on staff has made a world of difference thus far. These players are working out at a level that has not been seen in South Bend for some time. They are hungry from top to bottom, and are finally getting the coaching to feed them. We will play well this year, our class will round out nicely, and we will all be more fun to hang out with on Saturday!!

I am a former Professional athlete, and I can tell you it all begins and ends with your attitude and dedication. I will take a 3 star with a good attitude that is dedicated to himself and his team against a 5 star that is soft in either of those areas.

We will get the 4 and 5 star guys and make them into a very dangerous and fun to watch squad.

Go Irish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome irish 5589 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! post more!!!!!!!!!