Linder and Riggs

I have seen that Riggs is still listed as HIGH interest in ND and his teammate has been a target of ours for a long time... I believe we offered Linder on the first day we were able to and he listed us as an early favorite, but not much has come out since then.

It also looks like Linder has moved over to Left Tackle from Center, which shows that he is athletic at 6'6 290+ ; With ND having 4 St. Thomas Aquinas players on the roster this year, do we still feel optimistic about Linder and what would our chances being of signing him... are there any updates available for his timeline or interest level.

Basically, I'm hoping to hear these guys are our next two committs, but haven't heard a peep from them in a while...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that their coach wants them to wait until after their season to commit.

We did lead for Riggs for a while, but now trail Georgia and Florida due to concerns about coaching stability.

As for Linder, I think he still has a top three of Florida, Miami, and ND. In no particular order.

Both have stated that ND will receive and official visit, though I'm not sure either has been set yet.

I think that their coach wants them to wait until after their season to commit.

Good. Since Riggs' concerns stem from coaching stability, that should give ND the chance to show that CW isn't going anywhere (we hope and pray). I'd be worried if he wanted to pull the trigger prior to the season.

EDIT: Thanks for the welcomes, guys.

Lifelong fan. Live up in Ottawa, Canada. Caught my first ND game last year in Baltimore. Hoping to head up to SB this year. Hope to be fairly active on the board. Go Irish!

Edited by IanY77

Since Riggs' concerns stem from coaching stability

And why is that? Because the detractors can't shut their F'ing mouths and just trust that the AD will do his job. If our CW detractors would shut up for the sake of recruiting, maybe we would have more commitments and not be worrying about this. Instead, recruits see what's being written, and opposing coaches and writers pile on. The AD isn't going to listen to fans. He's going to do what's best for the University. He doesn't need any swinging dick sitting behind a TV to tell him what to do or not do. Since detractors have no impact on the AD, but have an impact on recruits, they need to shut up.

I saw a story somewhere saying Riggs cut his list to five. I thought it was ND in the lead a month ago, then changed to three in the lead, now five? Most kids are cutting down (syn: decreasing, narrowing down, dwindling, diminishing, lessening, reducing, you get my point) their list of schools, but it seems to me this list is going in the opposite direction. I hope our season helps him out.

Welcome Ian.

And why is that? Because the detractors can't shut their F'ing mouths and just trust that the AD will do his job. If our CW detractors would shut up for the sake of recruiting, maybe we would have more commitments and not be worrying about this. Instead, recruits see what's being written, and opposing coaches and writers pile on. The AD isn't going to listen to fans. He's going to do what's best for the University. He doesn't need any swinging dick sitting behind a TV to tell him what to do or not do. Since detractors have no impact on the AD, but have an impact on recruits, they need to shut up.

Pay the man, Shirley

Sorry bud but that is what fans do - and if you think it is the fans that are scaring these recruits you don't know what you are talking about. It is the fact that we have had the two worst seasons in our history and opposing coaches point that out to players along with letting them know that if we have another season like either of those Charlie will be gone.

Wave, I think it's more of the other coaches negatively recruiting against ND. I really don't think it is ND detractors creating a lot of noise at this time.

Sorry bud but that is what fans do - and if you think it is the fans that are scaring these recruits you don't know what you are talking about. It is the fact that we have had the two worst seasons in our history and opposing coaches point that out to players along with letting them know that if we have another season like either of those Charlie will be gone.

Swarbrick has the same concerns that some of us fans have otherwise he would not have met with CW last year after the Syracuse and SC debacles.

Even Charlie admitted that he thought about quitting. Sorry wave, not shutting up. I'm hoping and expecting more this season.

First, DScott, if I don't know what I'm talking about, then I obviously haven't read the articles about recruits decomitting or refusing to committ to schools where fans were speaking negatively about the program.

Second, I expect more this season, too; but my expectations the last two seasons have been reasonable after following the failed recruiting of Ty and watching the lack of numbers mature into the debacles we witnessed. Yes, Charlie made some mistakes, but they were greatly exaggerated by the single mistake of hiring Ty Willingham for a plethora of politically correct reasons.

I don't doubt that other coaches point out the last two seasons, but the fans aren't helping by failing to understand what Charlie was working with and what to reasonably expect from Freshmen and Sophomores. I'm just asking the fans to be a little realistic and understand the totality of the game. If they did, they wouldn't be disparaging Charlie and the team as much. Fans tend to be superficial, though; so, alas, I understand that they'll say plenty of ignorant crap. It's just frustrating to listen to it and know that it affects the future of our program while we try to keep building.

You are wrong. Message boards have an impact on recruits.

Granted a lot also has to do with other coaches but message boards hurt too.

Exhibit A

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11776517

Guest SirJohn

I agree with Synoptico.

DomerDomain's rule #9 is Don't talk about a member, player or recruit in a bad or attacking manner. Even with a combination of 17 Admin and Mods now providing eyeballs and boots on the ground It will occure and I am asking those Admin and Mods to take an extra look as to how a recruit is treated by a member on the board.

All in all DomerDomain is more than fair. For instance, while sad and troubling most members wished Fauria well.

SJ:grin:

I thought the other thing with Riggs is that because he named ND as his leader early, he felt other schools were cooling off on him. So he has taken a posture of being open, and now is being shown love by a few more schools.

It seems as though - as many others here have mentioned - it we have a good strong showing this fall to alleviate concerns, we may have a really good shot at him. We'll see.

I saw a story somewhere saying Riggs cut his list to five. I thought it was ND in the lead a month ago, then changed to three in the lead, now five? Most kids are cutting down (syn: decreasing, narrowing down, dwindling, diminishing, lessening, reducing, you get my point) their list of schools, but it seems to me this list is going in the opposite direction. I hope our season helps him out.

Welcome Ian.

lol good point.

Wave I would agree with you 4-5 months ago, but I have seen very little "Charlie must go" B.S. in the recent past. I think the majority of posters here have come to the conclusion that Weis is here for another year and will need a minimum of 9 wins to keep his job, or a BCS birth to silence his detractors. Here and there one of the fringe posters goes off on a: the sky is falling and when it falls I'm going to tell you all that I told you it was going to fall :rant: , rant. Those are rare these days.

welcome to the internet brutha.....................

Do you really think there is a recruit out there that doesn't already know about the catbird's seat Charlie probably is sitting in? Between the media outlets and other school's recruiters I would guess they are as sick of the subject and most anyone. That situation has already been taken into account.

It's difficult for me to imagine that a message board or other non-university spokesman other than the kids parents, coaches and confidants will have a measureable influence on their decision to attend ND or not if offered.

It seems to be having observed recruiting for decades :( those atheletes that chose ND rather than the coach have fared much better. We have a very loyal and proactive group of football alumni to reinforce that point.

Listen my point was that it is not the fans scaring these recruits it is the fact that Charlie has put the worst back to back season in the history of ND together and coaches are pointing that out and hammering recruits that if it goes that way this year it will be more of the same. Listen I can't stand Ty and think he is an awful coach and did great harm to our program, but I also believe that Charlie has made a bunch of mistakes - perhaps equal to those of Ty with the exception of recruiting. I hope Charlie succeeds I like him as a person and as a ND man - I hope the very best for him and for the team. But to try and censor descent is weak and sad - listen we were awful in 2007 and just mediocre in 2008 - I hope for great things in 2009. This the recruits are listening to the fans and message boards is way overblown you can point out examples of where recruits mention this, but the fact is the message boards is not he cause - the crappy results of the last two years is the cause. So if you guys want to censor people for pointing out the facts of the last two years - go ahead. And in closing I will once again state that I hope the very best for Charlie and for ND.