Am I the only one?

ND86

I love college football, really i do and if i had any money i'd bet on just about any college football game. But I have my reservations about ND this upcoming season only because of last year's bowl game between Hawaii and Georgia.

I'm sure everyone here remembers all the hype Georgia had going into the the 08 season after destroying Hawaii. I have my reservations about ND going into this season based solely off the Hawaii game, now I'm as big of a homer as anyone, but I don't wanna be set up for a huge let down.

Now Georgia had a tough schedule but they still underpreformed in my opinion and I'm slightly worried that ND might do the same, but I think my worries will be put to bed if we destroy Nevada and Michigan and we contend with USC, but again I'm a little worried about this upcoming season.

We have the talent, I believe we have the coaching, and I hope we can contend with a BCS caliber team although this years schedule won't really reveal to much until our BCS bid, yes we are going to the BCS.

I have high hopes for ND this year and I hope we can live up to the billing. Go ND and this isn't meant as a thread to bash ND but more of a reality check.

Cheers to the 09 season!

ps sorry bout any misspellings or irrational thoughts, I've had a few

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya 86... I base any and all optimisum on 3 things: Frank Verducci, the fact that this team has 4 full recruiting classes and that we have a 3 year starter at the Quarterback position.

HI is dog meat, and no matter how you fluff them up ND should always roll on teams of that caliber (not that they always do CoughCuse Cough).

I do get a knot in my gut sometimes though when I think about how this team has laid some major eggs in the past, and if they were to do so in the Nevada game, I'm afraid that may be the end of ND football as we know it.:violin:

that Georgia team had 24 seniors on it that graduated or at least used up their eligibility that day. Now yes they had Moreno and Stafford back but they also lost a lot. We on the other had lost only a couple of players that will be missed. And from everything we have seen so far, the replacements are at least as talented if not more so. So comparing our win to theirs was a bit apples to oranges, you might say. Oh, also, Hawaii played Georgia in the Sugar Bowl that year here on the mainland. We played them in Hawaii where they have been notoriously tough to play in recent years.

me

Does anyone else remember Hawaii's QB being an awful spread QB? He couldn't run at all and reminded me of Godsey back there. Was he the original, planned signal caller from the beginning of the season or was he a stand-in? Maybe Hawaii can answer this? I think his last name is Rogers...but he was pretty bad IMO. :grin:

ND86 - welcome.

Everything at this point sets up nicely for ND on paper - from the schedule to the returning experience and flashes of greatness from some skill players.

However, if you are reading the meter on this one, there have been very mixed signals coming out of the '08 season. The Hawaii win was a nice cap on the season (going in, many pundits predicted we would get beat), but there were also some very bad games including Syracuse, USC and BC.

At this point, it is all rhetoric and depends on how you interpret it. The spring game was tough to tell for a lot of reasons we mentioned (we were playing against ourselves, the rules for that game are different, the approach can vary from not wanting to show too much to not wanting to get people hurt to wanting to get some other people minutes).

Some people look at the bad games and say we're really that bad and the bowl game was an anomaly. Some look at the Hawaii game as a springboard of confidence and the team finally playing to their potential.

The good news is this season will be the best evidence so far on whether this team and staff have what it takes to get things done. Will we show improvement throughout the year? Can we stack up competitively with the better teams we'll play? Can we roll the teams we should throughout the season?

This season will be very telling on the program's direction. We will no longer be too young, be starting a QB with no college experience, be working with another coach's recruits, be lacking depth across the roster, be unable to match other team's speed, etc.

86, Im the biggest pessimist on the planet but see no reason why ND should lose more than one game next season. Honestly the teams the Irish will face next year arent that great. On paper ND should actually win all of them including SC who will have a green as grass QB. I really think Im going to bet on the Irish for at least the first five games. If ND loses more than 2, and they might just figure out a way to do it, Charlie should be canned. I dont think thats going to happen though. I'd be willing to also bet that as the season draws closer many of the "experts" are going to start talking up the Irish. Its a no brainer based on the crappy schedule, ND's wealth of experience, upperclassmen line, and talent. They like to look like they know what their talking about and picking ND to go far this season is an easy bet. You'll see. Its gonna be fun.

I consider myself very hopeful, but this team has yet to show us that they can actually get the job done over the course of the season. That may be for a variety of different reasons, but it's still a fact. So I'm hopeful until they prove it. THEN I'll be optimistic.

86, I agree with you but I can't compare this year's ND team against last year's Georgia team. The only thing they had in common was a bowl victory against Hawaii.

Georgia did underperform last year but they do play in what most consider the toughest conference in the nation. Everyone expects this year's Irish team to be better than last year.

86, Im the biggest pessimist on the planet but see no reason why ND should lose more than one game next season. Honestly the teams the Irish will face next year arent that great. On paper ND should actually win all of them including SC who will have a green as grass QB. I really think Im going to bet on the Irish for at least the first five games. If ND loses more than 2, and they might just figure out a way to do it, Charlie should be canned. I dont think thats going to happen though. I'd be willing to also bet that as the season draws closer many of the "experts" are going to start talking up the Irish. Its a no brainer based on the crappy schedule, ND's wealth of experience, upperclassmen line, and talent. They like to look like they know what their talking about and picking ND to go far this season is an easy bet. You'll see. Its gonna be fun.

I don't see us beating SC their run game will roll over our young D-line.

Guest irishrick

86, WELCOME , as they say in the navy 'NOW HEAR THIS' THE IRISH WILL HAVE A FEW MISQUES THIS SEASON BUT WITH THE SCHEDULE AND THE NEW STAFF AND A YEARS WORTH OF EXPERIENCE WE SHOULD RUN THE TABLE, ONLY TWO TEAMS CAN REALY GIVE US MUCH PROBLEMS THEY ARE MSU AND SC, BUT I STILL LOOK FOR A WIN, AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD. GO IRISH ;):-)

Hey DD, wouldn't it be funny to find out that BI is your wife? :shocked:

No chance...BI knows too much about football. My wife makes comments like "Brady Quinn has a sexy cheek bone profile" and "That teams colors are pretty". She tries and, most importantly, doesn't give me shit.